Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

SHOOT: $200 Point-and-Shoot Session Walk Thru

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great shots and write-up, Josh! I'm glad you did this for people to see.

Some of the shots are as good as your other stuff!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome. I'm in college, and only purchased my S2 IS for my trip to Ireland, and I don't really have the money to purchase a DSLR camera right now. I get some good photos, but I'm not good at editing them. I'll have to look into your suggestions for editing. I definately have to play around more, since I can edit most of the settings on my camera.

I notice that the sides of my pictures get blurry. Is there any way to fix that.(like it's focusing on the foreground, and blurring the background.)

Example here: http://www.werkdcars.com/photos/disp...=19&fullsize=1
If you look at the back of my car, you can see it's blurry. Is there any fix for that? Or is it my camera?

Oh, also can you give a description of ISO numbers, and what to use when?

Thank you,
Gary

Last edited by 99Hawk6spd; 11-10-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Needed more info.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Good post Josh. Photography is about 80% shooter, 20% equipment. A decent point-n-shoot can do very well in the hands of someone with talent and setup knowledge.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've got just a $300 Kodak digital and i was able to shoot these ones All i did was crop and in a couple i put my screen name from another forum

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have a Sony DSC-W5 and I suck *** at taking pics & messing with these gadgets. What do you guys think about this? Whenever I take pics I just leave it on automode and shoot. My pics never come out looking even OK.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Learn how to use the manual settings it takes alot of practice. If i'm in a hurry i put it on point and shoot mode too. No worries. Another big thing is a tripod. It'll help ALOT. Don't need a expensive one to start with just a cheapo from best buy or wherever
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Speaking of cheap tripods. Walmart actually had a really nice one that my roommate bought for $30ish. Had nice locks, rubber feet, a lvl, pretty much everything one would need in a cheap, beginner tripod. Worth a look.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i think i paid that or slightly less for one at best buy. rubber feet. 2 levels on it and good locks. for $30 or less that's a GREAT deal
Old 01-27-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

Extremely
Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Ok, I have a Sony DSC-W5 and I suck *** at taking pics & messing with these gadgets. What do you guys think about this? Whenever I take pics I just leave it on automode and shoot. My pics never come out looking even OK.
Auto mode on the W5s is pretty decent in good lighting. Just takes practice and knowing how to compose a picture. It's an artistic thing... I have had both a W1 and a W5 and they are very good all-around cameras. The only reason I stopped using them was because the W1 became a gift and the W5 was damaged when the tripod it was on fell over.

x2 on not needing nice equipment for properly set-up shots. It makes the picture turn out nice but a shot that is not set up and shot properly is not worth much, no matter how expensive the equipment is. My current POTM submission was taken with a Canon Powershot S5 IS...

In this pic however the car does not stand out as much as it should (since this is a car site). If I waited a few more minutes for the sun to be on the car and the shadows to be on the mountain it may have been a better shot. Personally I like it because it reminds me that there are bigger things in life, and there are more things to a car than the car itself.

Last edited by ZexGX; 03-02-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club

Great write up. Popular hot rodding's photo contest always has really good photo tips also. I usually end up going back to my magazine for more ideas and tips. I have a sony 5mp camera. Here's some of mine. I know they could be better but I used the auto mode since I haven't really experimented much with other settings.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

good to see all the people here doing more with less, i have taken it upon myself to learn how to push my nikon p80 ($300) to its absolute limits before i will allow myself to even think about dropping the coin on a good DSLR

here are a couple shots, all handheld, the rolling shots were touched up a bit with photobuckets limited software. i am anticipating doing a good nighttime/evening shoot in the next couple of weeks hopefully

originals

all untouched

Old 04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Oh, also can you give a description of ISO numbers, and what to use when?

Thank you,
Gary
from my limited knowledge (i just bought my first camera a couple of months ago) you want to shoot with the lowest ISO setting possible that still allows enough light in, otherwise you will get "noise" in the picture, for an example, after i took this shot, i realized that i needed to just switch to video, because i did not have a tripod to steady the camera enough for slower shutter speeds, and even with the ISO only turned up to about 600 it came out too noisy, and anything below that was too dark

Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 AM
Launching!

just to chime in with the point and shoot stuff. i started out my photography using a a610 canon because i wanted something with versatility. eventually it was to the point a point and shoot is only so good because you are limited on the lens and other aspects a dslr will give you. point and shoots shoot in a format ok for the average guy wanting a semi decent shot. one thing i haven't seen addressed is the noise suppression in photos and photo editing. jpegs lose quality every time you run them through an edit. this sucks if you really spent a good amount of time to set up the photo and wanna do some things to it. one of the biggest reason the dslr type of camera is a lot more expensive is what you get in the long run. i haven't touched my a610 since i bought my 20d a few years back. what pops out of that camera amazes me every time.