Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Cammed 99 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 94TA!
I am sorry you dis-agree but the dyno does not lie. And to say it is not happening, I had full bolts ons with 312 at the wheels and added Comps racing/limited street use Cams and gained 69 at the wheels, the grind is XE278AH. But again, sucks that you dis-agree man. More power to me I guess with so many people under-estimating me. But thanks for your replies.

It is a 99, want to make it all motor, still havent ported the heads or intake manifold. swapped the IRS for a built solid rear.

Don't quite understand the "so many people" comment. I count only 2. The rest are giving you props. Any chance that you still have the 8.8 housing from the IRS? It's what I use & am looking for a spare.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IM not just talking about on here, it is everywhere I post it up. I have had more compliments here than anywhere.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So.....what about the 8.8 IRS housing, do you still have it?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ive seen two cammed modulars in my life and they both sounded great. never got to hear them at WOT so if youd like to post some vids of that itd be great props on doing something different in the mod motor world.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94TA!
I am sorry you dis-agree but the dyno does not lie. And to say it is not happening, I had full bolts ons with 312 at the wheels and added Comps racing/limited street use Cams and gained 69 at the wheels, the grind is XE278AH. But again, sucks that you dis-agree man. More power to me I guess with so many people under-estimating me. But thanks for your replies.

It is a 99, want to make it all motor, still havent ported the heads or intake manifold. swapped the IRS for a built solid rear.
That's a generous dyno then. The 99 Cobra's had the worst heads as well as the shittiest intake casting flaws. So, it has nothing to do with my opinion, it has to do with simple facts. I can go and find plenty of other 98/99 Cobra's with cams and full bolt ons making quite a bit less than you, IE 10-20rwhp less. Also, 312 to the wheels with full bolt ons isn't the norm but I'll attribute it to the generous dyno.

I'm sorry you can't take constructive criticism and refuse to believe the masses that actually know what they're talking about. Regardless, car sounds good.

Edit- Take a look at this thread to see what I'm talking about:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=515518

Plenty of cars and their modifications to show what I'm talking about

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 09-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1

don't worry about the guys from earlier posts, I made 472/513 with a bone stock motor and 7.5 psi on my LS1, there were many people that didn't believe me until I stretched them out a few buses
Anyone who doubted that you made those numbers with roughly 8psi is either an LS newb or a complete moron in general.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
That's a generous dyno then. The 99 Cobra's had the worst heads as well as the shittiest intake casting flaws. So, it has nothing to do with my opinion, it has to do with simple facts. I can go and find plenty of other 98/99 Cobra's with cams and full bolt ons making quite a bit less than you, IE 10-20rwhp less. Also, 312 to the wheels with full bolt ons isn't the norm but I'll attribute it to the generous dyno.

I'm sorry you can't take constructive criticism and refuse to believe the masses that actually know what they're talking about. Regardless, car sounds good.

I can take criticism just fine. I have been to 3 dyno's since putting the cams in. 381 was the most I made, the lowest I made was 376(368 before the final tune). I have a dyno day this month with is what is going to be my 4th different dyno with the cams, I will get a vid and dyno sheet for you.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds great man! What is the weight of your Cobra and have you taken it to the track yet? Don't sweat the disbelievers, many people don't believe my daily driver ran 11's either with so few mods.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand... if this guy switched to a more efficient intake and head set up, would he not gain anything? that's like saying adding AFR heads and a fast manifold would not help an LS1

Anyone who doubted that you made those numbers with roughly 8psi is either an LS newb or a complete moron in general.
Psi has nothing to do with the equation, I frequent the FI section daily and have seen less numbers with more psi and more modifications and a more "efficient" set up.

He's been to 3 dyno's with proven numbers... don't blame the dyno, the dyno is just a tool to tune... and numbers are just bragging rights

to the OP, less numbers and more racing! I wanna see you go against a mild H/C LS1
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds damn good!

Shay
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

380rwhp aint happening without lots of intake modifications/porting or heads...
This is constructive criticism?

Car sounds great
Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
***Repost Police***

The problem with the '99 intake manifold was recalled and fixed.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand... if this guy switched to a more efficient intake and head set up, would he not gain anything? that's like saying adding AFR heads and a fast manifold would not help an LS1
He would gain tremendous amounts of power. I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Psi has nothing to do with the equation, I frequent the FI section daily and have seen less numbers with more psi and more modifications and a more "efficient" set up.

He's been to 3 dyno's with proven numbers... don't blame the dyno, the dyno is just a tool to tune... and numbers are just bragging rights
Ok, since PSI or boost has nothing to do with anything, pulley down someones supercharger or turn the boost down on someones turbo car, since it has nothing to do with the "equation" and see what happens. It is part of the equation but is dependent on each individual car and its combo. Your last tid bit doesn't make sense to me. And he can say he's been to 100 dynos and I still won't believe him when I just posted a link showing 50-100 different 4.6-5.4 combo's making less power (not much) than what he's claiming with much more "complete" combination's.

Originally Posted by Sluggish
This is constructive criticism?
Yes, it's helping him to understand that his "dyno numbers" are a fantasy and that he's going to be really disappointed when his car doesn't perform on the track or on the other "track".
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

106400's are nasty N/A cams. These with a ported short runner, a little headwork and alot of gear makes a pretty quick N/A 4v
Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The problem with the '99 intake manifold was recalled and fixed.
This is what i was thinking... And have read that after the recall some were higher HP than ford originally rated them at.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Cobra with CAMS? Most the guys around here dont mess with or mention cams on their cobras...awesome man...mad respect for going all motor on a 4.6
Old 09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wg871
106400's are nasty N/A cams. These with a ported short runner, a little headwork and alot of gear makes a pretty quick N/A 4v

They are, but I went all out and got the 106500's. Figured since I was doing it I might as well go all out. Next thing I will do is port the heads and port the intake manifold, or go with a more aggresive manifold. Gonna do some weight reduction and finish building the suspension, almost got it all done.

And I have went from a roll with a Camaro SS that has some bolt ons and a cam, not sure what kind, but he has 368rwhp and runs 12.2's at the track, i beat him out by about 2 feet, i could look out my window and see his front wheels when we hit 120. Since I got the cams, my powerband is crazy, revs all the way to 7500, that is just what i set the limit to, all my power it mid and high rpms and 4:10s to help me get there.

I seen a stock camaro run 12.56, with drag radials only. That was shocking.

LS1
Old 09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

i really have no problem believing his numbers, my very good friend has a 99 with just catback and intake and made 280 290 going through 4.10s on a mustang dyno. i can see 312 with full bolt ons
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good power!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His numbers are real, the idiots need to learn there place.....sit and watch rather than talk.

Quick Reply: Cammed 99 Cobra