Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Cammed 99 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The n/a 4cam 4.6s are actually a lot more stout then most people give them credit for I think. Personally I believe the key is in the tuning, and there just aren't many GOOD n/a mod motor tuners to choose from (whereas in the GM world finding a good tuner isn't hard at all).

My brother almost bought a 97 Cobra (the 96-98s were rated at 305hp vs. the 320hp of the 99 and 01 Cobras) with full bolt ons and a dyno tune that ran into the 12's @ 110.9mph. That's damn fast for an N/A 96-98 Cobra!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

http://www.desertmusclelv.net/index.php?showtopic=1293
you guys should check out this 99 cobra... its a stroker that ran low low 11's with the wrong gear here in vegas with our shitty DA and its not my car but i was at the dyno day and it made 450 through an auto!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

forgot to mention its full weight with full interior and i believe it still has cold a/c! this car can be daily driven on pump gas as well
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
He would gain tremendous amounts of power. I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Ok, since PSI or boost has nothing to do with anything, pulley down someones supercharger or turn the boost down on someones turbo car, since it has nothing to do with the "equation" and see what happens. It is part of the equation but is dependent on each individual car and its combo. Your last tid bit doesn't make sense to me. And he can say he's been to 100 dynos and I still won't believe him when I just posted a link showing 50-100 different 4.6-5.4 combo's making less power (not much) than what he's claiming with much more "complete" combination's.

Yes, it's helping him to understand that his "dyno numbers" are a fantasy and that he's going to be really disappointed when his car doesn't perform on the track or on the other "track".
I'm pretty sure most people in here can say that you are more a hater than someone who can appreciate a good build.

You're an excellent example of a mustang hater... Just wait til you get waxed by a Cobra with a whipple or KB on it
Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That thing sounds awesome. I've never heard a mod motor sound like that. what are the specs on that thing?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
His numbers are real, the idiots need to learn there place.....sit and watch rather than talk.
Really? This thread full of 50-100+ cars/combos shows differently. There are some serious mod motor combo's in the thread I provided and they aren't making 380rwhp "easily". See, I'm sitting, watching, learning and researching and I'm still not seeing where I'm an "idiot". So, how about you drop the holier than thou attitude and research it yourself, prove that I'm such an idiot.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=515518

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
I'm pretty sure most people in here can say that you are more a hater than someone who can appreciate a good build.

You're an excellent example of a mustang hater... Just wait til you get waxed by a Cobra with a whipple or KB on it
I love it, you resort to personal insults and attacks after your feeble attempt at "insulting" me with your little tid bit about "PSI not being part of the equation" failed.

Yep, I'm such a mustang hater that I know quite a bit about them. Since when do haters have knowledge of something they hate?
I give props where and when they are due. Hell, go read my posts on SVTP since I'm such a mustang hater.

I can appreciate a good build but slapping cams into a bolt on 4v is not going to just magically produce 380+whp, especially through an IRS with 4.10 gears. That's reality, not opinion. Again, refer to this thread, its chuck full of build information and power/torque numbers:

And to your silly "getting waxed by a Cobra with a whipple or KB" comment, it's never happened. I never got a chance to run one with my 384 combo but when I was H/C, I was able to pull 3 cars on a pullied/bolt on 04 screamin' yellow. Now, considering my 384 made 30+ more peak rwhp/50+ peak rwtq and loads more under the curve, I'd venture to say I'd have done pretty well against a KB/whipple cobra here in hell. And had I lost the race or got "waxed", I'd have gave them a thumbs up and been just fine with it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that 03/04's, driven properly, are something fierce.

Edit- Since I know you aren't going to take the time to read the thread, here's a few combo's that I've copied, making in the 370-380whp, so you can see what it takes.

nastynate_03 (from mach1 registry) (396/368 SAE) 5.0L stroker, Ported 03 C Heads/Ported Intake/Comp Cams see post 268 of this thread for details.
Blacksnake305 (lafear01) (388/376 SAE) 5.0L BB, Fox Lake Ported 01 Heads/Joeys Ported Intake/FR500 Cams.
Ron 99 Cobra (385) 5.0L, Ported C Head/Ported Short Runner.
RoysMach (Roy from Mach1Registry) (384/359 SAE) Owner Ported 03+ C Heads/Owner Ported Intake/Stage 2 Cams. post 331 of this thread for details.
qwicksvt (384/321 SAE) .020/FR500 Heads/FR500 cams/FR500 Intake. post 285 of this thread for details.
Jims SVT (382/318 SAE). JSR (jims svt) Ported Short Runner. Ported96-98 B head/Cams.
NVENEM8U (381/323 SAE) * Mustang Dyno * B Heads with valve job/Owner Ported Short Runner intake/Competition Cams. post 260 of this thread for details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

86stroker (Kezell from SVT Performance) (374/365 SAE) Stock Short Block/Naz Ported 99/01 C Heads/Naz Ported Short Runner Intake/Stage 3 type Comp Cams. post 313 of this thread for details.

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 09-09-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can appreciate a good build but slapping cams into a bolt on 4v is not going to just magically produce 380+whp, especially through an IRS with 4.10 gears. That's reality, not opinion.
OP stated that he swapped a solid rear in...not sure on the hp effect, but there you go.

OP....car sounds amazing. Can't beat the sound of a lopey V8! Props to taking the road less traveled.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Alright, this is for the one that doesnt believe.

This was the first dyno ran after the cam install on the initial tune, made 368rwhp, the only vid they took of it, but the final dyno cranked out 381 on the current tune that I have. I am doing a dyno day this month and will get you a dyno sheet. This is from fastlane motorsports videos, i am posting thiers because it states in the info box on the right how much it put out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxS3FIVHJE

It is really loud, this is from when I had the LM1s on it and the IRS. You will have to go to the youtube page to see what fastlane posted.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Really? This thread full of 50-100+ cars/combos shows differently. There are some serious mod motor combo's in the thread I provided and they aren't making 380rwhp "easily". See, I'm sitting, watching, learning and researching and I'm still not seeing where I'm an "idiot". So, how about you drop the holier than thou attitude and research it yourself, prove that I'm such an idiot.

I love it, you resort to personal insults and attacks after your feeble attempt at "insulting" me with your little tid bit about "PSI not being part of the equation" failed.

Yep, I'm such a mustang hater that I know quite a bit about them. Since when do haters have knowledge of something they hate?
I give props where and when they are due. Hell, go read my posts on SVTP since I'm such a mustang hater.

I can appreciate a good build but slapping cams into a bolt on 4v is not going to just magically produce 380+whp, especially through an IRS with 4.10 gears. That's reality, not opinion. Again, refer to this thread, its chuck full of build information and power/torque numbers:

And to your silly "getting waxed by a Cobra with a whipple or KB" comment, it's never happened. I never got a chance to run one with my 384 combo but when I was H/C, I was able to pull 3 cars on a pullied/bolt on 04 screamin' yellow. Now, considering my 384 made 30+ more peak rwhp/50+ peak rwtq and loads more under the curve, I'd venture to say I'd have done pretty well against a KB/whipple cobra here in hell. And had I lost the race or got "waxed", I'd have gave them a thumbs up and been just fine with it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that 03/04's, driven properly, are something fierce.

Edit- Since I know you aren't going to take the time to read the thread, here's a few combo's that I've copied, making in the 370-380whp, so you can see what it takes.

nastynate_03 (from mach1 registry) (396/368 SAE) 5.0L stroker, Ported 03 C Heads/Ported Intake/Comp Cams see post 268 of this thread for details.
Blacksnake305 (lafear01) (388/376 SAE) 5.0L BB, Fox Lake Ported 01 Heads/Joeys Ported Intake/FR500 Cams.
RoysMach (Roy from Mach1Registry) (384/359 SAE) Owner Ported 03+ C Heads/Owner Ported Intake/Stage 2 Cams. post 331 of this thread for details.
qwicksvt (384/321 SAE) .020/FR500 Heads/FR500 cams/FR500 Intake. post 285 of this thread for details.
Jims SVT (382/318 SAE). JSR (jims svt) Ported Short Runner. Ported96-98 B head/Cams.
NVENEM8U (381/323 SAE) * Mustang Dyno * B Heads with valve job/Owner Ported Short Runner intake/Competition Cams. post 260 of this thread for details.

86stroker (Kezell from SVT Performance) (374/365 SAE) Stock Short Block/Naz Ported 99/01 C Heads/Naz Ported Short Runner Intake/Stage 3 type Comp Cams. post 313 of this thread for details.

Are any of those 4.6 motors? Im just curious as i dont know much about mustangs...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
OP stated that he swapped a solid rear in...not sure on the hp effect, but there you go.
Must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out

It will show a few more ponies but its still a geared rear end, its eatin' up power.

Originally Posted by RedSmokey
[/B]

Are any of those 4.6 motors? Im just curious as i dont know much about mustangs...
All are 4.6 based motors or are still the factory 4.6 with H/C and some with ported intakes/shortened runners
Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boost is just a number on a gauge... My gauge might see 15psi with MY TC78 turbo, but what if I saw 15psi out of an S91? My motor would blow... The PSI is determined by what your motor can handle and how the tune allows it. If your motor can handle 15psi from a TC78, chances are you might only handle 6psi from a S91. All superchargers and turbos don't flow the same CFM from 10psi... but you knew this right?

As stated above me, it's a solid axle from the OP's original few posts post

It's never happened because you've never raced one. Beating a pullied cobra is for a cam only LS1, so if it took you H/C, then you need to revamp your set up. And you wouldn't do well against a KB or whipple cobra because the stock blowers are nothing compared to a whipple or KB.

We all know that mustangs do not typically perform on the dyno like they should... I'm simply stating that this guy might have a freak car on the dyno (s). That also says nothing about the street... My car ran a best of 8.0@93 in the 1/8, but from a roll, I could walk a GSXR750 with a decent rider... been there, done that.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Must have missed that, thanks for pointing it out

It will show a few more ponies but its still a geared rear end, its eatin' up power.

All are 4.6 based motors or are still the factory 4.6 with H/C and some with ported intakes/shortened runners
This statement is semi-false. A geared rear will only change the efficiency of the car's performance depending on what kind of racing you would like to do. I could have a 800rwhp car with 4.10s still make that, maybe a little more with less gear... but that doesn't eat up power. That's like saying my 2.73 ratio will add power to my new set up... What would be the perfect gear to not loose any power up top, but not sacrifice any down low? that depends on the set up
Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boost is just a number on a gauge... My gauge might see 15psi with MY TC78 turbo, but what if I saw 15psi out of an S91? My motor would blow... The PSI is determined by what your motor can handle and how the tune allows it. If your motor can handle 15psi from a TC78, chances are you might only handle 6psi from a S91. All superchargers and turbos don't flow the same CFM from 10psi... but you knew this right?
Boost is just a number huh? That's funny, then why does anyone even reference anything about boost/pressure at all, if its just a number on a gauge? If you took the time to read my last post to you, you'd have seen where I said this "It is part of the equation but is dependent on each individual car and its combo." I.E Head flow, cam choice, primary size of the exhaust manifolds/headers, intercooler etc.

"PSI" is NOT determined by what your motor can handle or what the tune allows for. It's determined by the wastegate/spring used and or a pulley and the other factors I've already mentioned along with a little common sense by the owner.

As stated above me, it's a solid axle from the OP's original few posts post
It was pointed out already, thanks.

It's never happened because you've never raced one. Beating a pullied cobra is for a cam only LS1, so if it took you H/C, then you need to revamp your set up. And you wouldn't do well against a KB or whipple cobra because the stock blowers are nothing compared to a whipple or KB.
Uhm.... Didn't I just say that? Beating a pullied cobra is NOT "cam only" territory as most cam only cars, on average, trap between 115-117 (Mine went 116.55). Your average pullied cobra is trapping 118-121+mph and as you said, "the street is a different animal" which means they could be that much faster. BUT WAIT, I'M A MUSTANG HATER, HOW DO I KNOW THIS!?

So, for my H/C car to pull 3 cars on a pullied/bolt on cobra up to around 125mph, that's pretty damn good. Also, KB and Whipple cobra's are not putting down the 600+rwhp you see else where, here in hell. They make around 550-580rwhp and they run hard but I guarantee my 350-400lb weight advantage combined with my 490rwhp setup would have been a DAMN good race. I mean FFS, before I sold the SS I pulled half a car through the tip top of 1st gear (6k through 7k rpms) and then pulled another car through 2nd (shut down immediately after running out 2nd due to traffic) on a friends old bolt on (Borla exhaust, Smooth tubes, Aluminum flywheel)/3.55 gear'd 98 GTS viper. He claimed I pulled 2 cars but I can't verify for sure. Same car trapped 120mph on street tires in 100+ degree heat.
We all know that mustangs do not typically perform on the dyno like they should... I'm simply stating that this guy might have a freak car on the dyno (s). That also says nothing about the street... My car ran a best of 8.0@93 in the 1/8, but from a roll, I could walk a GSXR750 with a decent rider... been there, done that.
They don't? Says who? Freak car or generous dyno? Look at what I've already posted dude, it takes more than what he's got to produce what he says he's making, PERIOD. Now, if these are STD numbers then that could say a lot and we could be arguing for no reason. Also, 1/8 mile for a turbo street car is barely allowing it to get chugging along (unless that's what the car is built for). Most F/I cars pick up big on the big end. So for you to walk a 750, right on, totally believable

This statement is semi-false. A geared rear will only change the efficiency of the car's performance depending on what kind of racing you would like to do. I could have a 800rwhp car with 4.10s still make that, maybe a little more with less gear... but that doesn't eat up power. That's like saying my 2.73 ratio will add power to my new set up... What would be the perfect gear to not loose any power up top, but not sacrifice any down low? that depends on the set up
Eating up power as in MORE PARASITIC LOSSES. The bold area shows your HUGE contradiction. Good one I'm not talking about racing or "perfect gear". Besides, 4v's love to be geared to the hilt (with in reason)

Lower numerical gears have more parasitic losses, proven. The amount of power that is "sapped" or eatin' up is dependent on the total power output that the vehicle is capable of.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so much misinformation and bs in this thread

OP
car sounds, good, i applaud you for taking the road not taken with your setup. should run good at the track with a 7k+shiftpoint
Old 09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

sounds good man you need to get some 1/4 times and post up.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Boost is just a number huh? That's funny, then why does anyone even reference anything about boost/pressure at all, if its just a number on a gauge? If you took the time to read my last post to you, you'd have seen where I said this "It is part of the equation but is dependent on each individual car and its combo." I.E Head flow, cam choice, primary size of the exhaust manifolds/headers, intercooler etc.

"PSI" is NOT determined by what your motor can handle or what the tune allows for. It's determined by the wastegate/spring used and or a pulley and the other factors I've already mentioned along with a little common sense by the owner.

It was pointed out already, thanks.

Uhm.... Didn't I just say that? Beating a pullied cobra is NOT "cam only" territory as most cam only cars, on average, trap between 115-117 (Mine went 116.55). Your average pullied cobra is trapping 118-121+mph and as you said, "the street is a different animal" which means they could be that much faster. BUT WAIT, I'M A MUSTANG HATER, HOW DO I KNOW THIS!?

So, for my H/C car to pull 3 cars on a pullied/bolt on cobra up to around 125mph, that's pretty damn good. Also, KB and Whipple cobra's are not putting down the 600+rwhp you see else where, here in hell. They make around 550-580rwhp and they run hard but I guarantee my 350-400lb weight advantage combined with my 490rwhp setup would have been a DAMN good race. I mean FFS, before I sold the SS I pulled half a car through the tip top of 1st gear (6k through 7k rpms) and then pulled another car through 2nd (shut down immediately after running out 2nd due to traffic) on a friends old bolt on (Borla exhaust, Smooth tubes, Aluminum flywheel)/3.55 gear'd 98 GTS viper. He claimed I pulled 2 cars but I can't verify for sure. Same car trapped 120mph on street tires in 100+ degree heat.

They don't? Says who? Freak car or generous dyno? Look at what I've already posted dude, it takes more than what he's got to produce what he says he's making, PERIOD. Now, if these are STD numbers then that could say a lot and we could be arguing for no reason. Also, 1/8 mile for a turbo street car is barely allowing it to get chugging along (unless that's what the car is built for). Most F/I cars pick up big on the big end. So for you to walk a 750, right on, totally believable

Eating up power as in MORE PARASITIC LOSSES. The bold area shows your HUGE contradiction. Good one I'm not talking about racing or "perfect gear". Besides, 4v's love to be geared to the hilt (with in reason)

Lower numerical gears have more parasitic losses, proven. The amount of power that is "sapped" or eatin' up is dependent on the total power output that the vehicle is capable of.
I'm done beating a dead horse, get an FI car and you'll understand one day.

Great car again OP, and great numbers
Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My head hurts from some of these posts.

OP: Nice job! You never see a N/A modular.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

That's a generous dyno then. The 99 Cobra's had the worst heads as well as the shittiest intake casting flaws. So, it has nothing to do with my opinion, it has to do with simple facts. I can go and find plenty of other 98/99 Cobra's with cams and full bolt ons making quite a bit less than you, IE 10-20rwhp less. Also, 312 to the wheels with full bolt ons isn't the norm but I'll attribute it to the generous dyno.

I'm sorry you can't take constructive criticism and refuse to believe the masses that actually know what they're talking about. Regardless, car sounds good.

Edit- Take a look at this thread to see what I'm talking about:

Plenty of cars and their modifications to show what I'm talking about
lol!!!!!
Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The problem with the '99 intake manifold was recalled and fixed.
yep performance recall...mine got it,some intakes were extrude honed some acid dipped,a freer flowing axleback and an ecu reflash was also done
Originally Posted by RedSmokey
This is what i was thinking... And have read that after the recall some were higher HP than ford originally rated them at.
this is very true my 99 has only a gear air filter and mufflers...have a vid of it running neck to neck with a full bolt on ls2 gto..some may remember the video i posted

Originally Posted by NemeSS
so much misinformation and bs in this thread

OP
car sounds, good, i applaud you for taking the road not taken with your setup. should run good at the track with a 7k+shiftpoint
very true......

car sounds bad ***....love it...bet it pulls like a godamn freight train.....i couldnt handle the 410s mine loves the 456s that are in it...its just the piece of **** t45 i hate haha.....you will find alot of haters all over the interwebzz...nice car man...
Old 09-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, after my deployment I will be adding some stuff plus weight reductions and new drag-launch eibach coil overs, thinking about stroking my engine and porting the intake manifold and heads and a few of the smaller things such as coil packs, better spark plugs, electric water pump and air conditioner delete.

I can't wait to get everything done. Want a T-56 or even been thinking of a C4 with a 3500 stall.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NA 4v's can be badass and they sound great...

They are just rare, and expensive.....

3v guys are doing well from what im reading

Quick Reply: Cammed 99 Cobra