Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Older Cars or Newer Cars which do you think is Safer? Look INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Older Cars or Newer Cars which do you think is Safer? Look INSIDE

Now that I've got your attention with that captivating subject title.

Check this **** out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwYB...=youtube_gdata

I always knew old cars were more dangerous than new cars but I thought it was because even in like a 20mph fender bender the old car wouldent crumple and transfer all its energy to the people in the car. In addition to that the insides of old cars are made of like certain death. in a front end accident the drivers head would hit the wooden/metal steering wheel (same type force as like taking a baseball bat to the forhead) and then bounce back and hit the pillar which was usually metal (again like taking a base ball bat to the side of the head) and you can see how even if only the bumper was busted up the person inside was dealing with life threatening head injuries (thats why interiors started getting softer materials)

I never in a million years thought that intrusion into the cabin would be the cause of death, because most older cars are working with the types of frames we'd find on trucks today and no areas that are meant to crumple, fenders and body work that were about 50% thicker than whats found on todays cars, so I figured if a new car and old car ever collided the old car would just decimate the new one (kinda like a truck and a car hitting)

Well damn was I ever wrong holy ****. This is gonna make me rethink the classic camaro build I wanna do
Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find!!

Shay
Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I seen rust clouds coming off the 59.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Talking

that was a rust cloud lmao! im going to go with the newer cars if you look at the 59 even the roof was tweeked it looks like every panel on the 59 is affected.
my wife hit a newer civic in our 04 escalde ext and she destroyed the honda with barely a scratch to our truck lol then some one backed in to the same truck wile it was parked with a old maxima and dident even scratch my truck but took out there quarter panel.
check these pics of the honda all the truck damage was from there tire and buffed right off with my pc.
Attached Thumbnails Older Cars or Newer Cars which do you think is Safer? Look INSIDE-0202071618.jpg   Older Cars or Newer Cars which do you think is Safer? Look INSIDE-0202071649.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

i wish someone would do that test with a 74 impala. I think the out come would be a little different with a Straight frame Car instead of an X frame Design. The main colapse of the 59 is due to the corner of the hit. (Still not Safe) But i just talking from a Derby perspective

FWIW about 6 years ago myself and 3 friends of mine hit a cotton wood tree at around 40 mph in a 74 4 door impala. no one was hurt everyone was wearing their seat belts and the motor didnt even die (ol' 350 cu in) and we drove the car 6 miles back home with the alternator belt blown off.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Amazing difference.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i cant believe that with all our technology, we're still concerned about safety? Ok. Shows you what emphasis is put on human life. we'd rather save a buck at the gas pump than walk away from a head on collision. And theyd rather save a few bucks at the assembly line
Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

I could be wrong but it looks like the Bel Air doesnt even have an engine in it.