Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Mustang + Camaro + Busy Street = Jail Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i was in the same type of accident, from the other side though, at a green light for a non-arrow left turn, so from my position, the cars going straight get the right away. Light turned green, i went, car going straight hit me. I'll admit, i got distracted and wasnt paying attention to the fact that it wasn't a green arrow giving me the right away. That alone was the reason i got blamed for the accident. My argument was that the car was speeding and i misjudged how much time i had to go, but that didnt matter, she had the right away, and i didnt give her that.
Well the state didn't see it the same way in my case. I'm not denying blame, because I know I am partially to blame, but I don't think the driver of the Crown Vic should have gotten off without anything. I think, in my case, all 3 vehicles were at fault. Oh well, life goes on. There's always more Camaros for sale, and they're even making more now!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmoken
well weve all done this. sucks that someone pulled into your path though. this could happen to any of us. good thing everyone was ok though.
Exactly why I shouldn't have been racing on a busy road in the first place. Definitely learned my lesson. Yep, could have been way worse.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Launching!

if it makes you feel any better I like your new camaro more lol
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
Because once you go over the speed limit, you no longer have the right a way.
Gee mister, I'll tell that to my self right before i pull out in front of that damned semi trying to beat the red light at the intersection.
That's the same terrible logic as covering your eyes with your hands and saying, "I can't see you - you can't see me."
There's absolutely no common sense or rationality put into that statement.
Other than to aid a 'once you're breaking the law you shouldn't have a choice in the matter.' - type of mentality. But that's just silly.

It is painfully obvious that the tan car was responsible for the whole thing whether they were speeding or not.
The person either didn't look for ****, or for some ungodly reason just pulled out anyway.
If someone were to do that to me they had better hope they killed me or mangled me bad enough to where i couldn't exit my vehicle and beat their ***.

Just out of curiosity sk8rax350, was it some old blue hair driving or what?

Glad everyone turned out ok.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Gee mister, I'll tell that to my self right before i pull out in front of that damned semi trying to beat the red light at the intersection.
That's the same terrible logic as covering your eyes with your hands and saying, "I can't see you - you can't see me."
Other than to aid a 'once you're breaking the law you shouldn't have a choice in the matter.' - type of mentality. But that's just silly.

It is painfully obvious that the tan car was responsible for the whole thing whether they were speeding or not.
The person either didn't look for ****, or for some ungodly reason just pulled out anyway.
If someone were to do that to me they had better hope they killed me or mangled me bad enough to where i couldn't exit my vehicle and beat their ***.

The "ungodly reason" was, like I said before, misjudging the closing speed. We all do it - glance left and right to see if traffic is coming, and how far away it is. You don't get a good feel for how fast it's going in that momentary look; your brain simply makes the go/no-go decision based on distance and how much time experience has programmed you to believe you have to clear the intersection.

Turn up the approach speed on the cross traffic, and all of a sudden instead of having, say, five seconds to make it through, you have far less. It happens all the time, especially with people turning left in front of oncoming motorcycles - they're small (and the brain turns "small" into "farther away" on top of making it harder to judge speed even if you're actively trying to) and often being ridden faster than the typical speed of traffic.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you're telling me that if a person stops at a stop sign, looks both ways, coast is clear, while two cars are speeding from drag racing or just going well over the speed limit, so the car at the stop sign pulls out and get smacked by the two cars drag racing, that it's the fault of the guy at the stop sign?

Please.

Also, on your red light comment. You're telling me if a guy in a truck blasts right into you after running a red light that it's not his fault? Or is it your for waiting your turn while he breaks the law?

How is there no common sense in my statement? It's true. If you're speeding, and you hit someone, you're going to be at fault, ever time. Unless, the other person was also doing something illegal.

I'm not saying the person in the tan car wasn't at fault at all. But, they can just say they looked, and there were no cars near them. Then, since they(the camaro and mustang) were speeding got to the intersection much quicker then what they expected, and nailed them. Every court is going to nail the camaro and mustang.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why street race on a busy street in the middle of the day? Thats like walking into a police department with two loaded Uzi's at the ready. Your asking for trouble. Im glad your ok but even when we do stupid **** there has to be a shot of common sense some where in the mix.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

So you're telling me that if a person stops at a stop sign, looks both ways, coast is clear, while two cars are speeding from drag racing or just going well over the speed limit, so the car at the stop sign pulls out and get smacked by the two cars drag racing, that it's the fault of the guy at the stop sign?

Please.

Also, on your red light comment. You're telling me if a guy in a truck blasts right into you after running a red light that it's not his fault? Or is it your for waiting your turn while he breaks the law?

How is there no common sense in my statement? It's true. If you're speeding, and you hit someone, you're going to be at fault, ever time. Unless, the other person was also doing something illegal.

I'm not saying the person in the tan car wasn't at fault at all. But, they can just say they looked, and there were no cars near them. Then, since they(the camaro and mustang) were speeding got to the intersection much quicker then what they expected, and nailed them. Every court is going to nail the camaro and mustang.
It's all about the perspective.

I never said the person stopping at the stop sign is automatically at fault....but really if you value your life at all are you going to be stupid enough to whip your head left to right then stab the throttle?
No....you're going to physically look both directions for at least 2 - 5 seconds each way so you can properly gauge the distance and speed of any conflicting traffic (including those hard to see slow-moving cyclists) and make an intelligent decision based on that information.

You said it your self:
Honestly, If said person pulled out and got hit - then apparently the 'coast' wasn't actually clear and he should have done a better job at looking in order to save him self from any potential harm.
Not to save the law breaking drag racers, but to save him self...it's called self-preservation for a reason...ya know - preservation of your self....lol

The one-way-lookers and people who do a quick snap left to right to see if anyone is at their door are the ones who pull out in front of people and get others killed whether they're speeding or not.
I'm willing to say ******** like that are responsible for a good percentage of motorcycle accidents...people just don't take the time to literally stop and look. They ignorantly do a half-assed glance both ways and pull out.
I don't know how many times I've been doing the speed limit going 55 - 60mph only to have someone stop, stare at me, and still pull out in front of me to where i have to slam on my brakes and hunt for spots to ditch my car just in case.

And... lol of course it's going to be the semi's fault that he ran the red light....but it's your own damn fault also if you don't protect your self and defend your self by taking the time to look at on coming traffic and make an intelligent decision to pull out based on whether it's safe or not.
If you're dumb enough to not look and just blindly pull out in front of anyone then i have no pity for you at all, that's called natural selection.

Obviously it's all in the context of the situation, sometimes there are blind corners and yadda yadda...My point is this....i don't care if it's two people racing in cars, a church bus, a loaded down semi, or a motorcycle. If you don't do your own part to protect your self and you choose to half *** look both ways and pull out, who's really to blame? You had an opportunity to not only potentially save your own life but the lives of others and you blew it by being impatient and not spending an extra couple seconds to secure your own basic safety.
I'm willing to bet if you or i were in that tan car neither of us would have been stupid enough to pull out. I'd have taken my time and waited, watched them fly by, smiled and shook my head to my self, then continued about my business intact and alive. I do it every morning at this cluster-**** intersection i have by my house.

I agree in court the defense for the Mustang and Camaro is going to be weak, but I mean from a real life honest and common sense perspective you have to consider all variables and their roles. Besides, 90% of what goes on in a courtroom is lies and misleading information through forced perspectives to get a desired outcome from jurors who don't even wanna be there. Hardly 'justice.'
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't agree with the, "I didn't realize how fast they were going" statement. That is someone who is not really paying attention to driving. That's like holding a gun to someone's head, pulling the trigger and saying, "I didn't know the gun was loaded."

Maybe I'm just butthurt because I lost a friend on a motorcyle because a lady pulled out in front of him.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga
The "ungodly reason" was, like I said before, misjudging the closing speed. We all do it - glance left and right to see if traffic is coming, and how far away it is. You don't get a good feel for how fast it's going in that momentary look; your brain simply makes the go/no-go decision based on distance and how much time experience has programmed you to believe you have to clear the intersection.

Turn up the approach speed on the cross traffic, and all of a sudden instead of having, say, five seconds to make it through, you have far less. It happens all the time, especially with people turning left in front of oncoming motorcycles - they're small (and the brain turns "small" into "farther away" on top of making it harder to judge speed even if you're actively trying to) and often being ridden faster than the typical speed of traffic.
Well sir you are intelligent and are spot on, i understand all of that.
But with knowing all of that information and the dangers of the dreaded 'glance-and-go' method, wouldn't you take that into consideration and well....not do that?
Driving like that sounds rather wreck-less and careless and should be avoided don't you think?

My first response was going for the unobvious but still very important part of this scenario that people often overlook. Which would be, how, and why the car that was struck managed to get into the path of these cars, could it have been avoided, and how.
Chances are...yes...had said person paid more attention these guys would have went right past him and continued slowing down, hopefully realizing the perils of their adventures and choosing to play it safe....or play it somewhere else that 'is' safe. Or, who knows - they might have kept going and hit someone else? Ya' never know.

My point is, just because they were doing something illegal doesn't definitively mean they're fully responsible for the entire wreck.
(In real life terms...not caveman BS court room terms.)

I'm sure if the video depicted them cruising along at legal speeds and that person pulled out on them just the same the response for this video would be drastically different and everyone would be hating on the tan cars driver for being at fault and ruining two performance cars...lol but the person driving the tan car could have done the same half *** glance in both videos and no one would know the difference.

I'm curious to know the speed they were going compared to the speed limit for that road. (I can't see the speedo' in the video well enough.)

If you watch the video and pause it at 0:22 the guy that took a right into the same entrance the tan car was trying to take that left into wasn't even out of the way enough for him to safely cross the road and get into the entrance...to me it looks like he was trying to beat traffic and cross it in time, knowing he'd be up the guys *** who just turned in. Another signal to me the guy in the tan car didn't know wtf he was doing.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And we wonder why the punishments for street racing have gotten so harsh. It's because of incidents like THIS. We should ALL be against this kind of irresponsible behavior, no matter if you street race or not. **** like this is why the police are constantly cracking down on car meets and legal race events, and why the laws against street racing are getting more and more strict.

The Camaro and Mustang drivers were behaving like ricers in gutted CRXs. It reflects very poorly on the entire car enthusiast community and strengthens the stereotypes of muscle car owners as reckless and irresponsible. Why are people defending this??
Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Latch
And we wonder why the punishments for street racing have gotten so harsh. It's because of incidents like THIS. We should ALL be against this kind of irresponsible behavior, no matter if you street race or not. **** like this is why the police are constantly cracking down on car meets and legal race events, and why the laws against street racing are getting more and more strict.

The Camaro and Mustang drivers were behaving like ricers in gutted CRXs. It reflects very poorly on the entire car enthusiast community and strengthens the stereotypes of muscle car owners as reckless and irresponsible. Why are people defending this??
I agree with this 110%
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

To me in the video it looks like there is a median in between the two directions of traffic, I dont know if its only in Oregon but i have never encountered a light that yields for traffic to turn left when there is a median and three lanes of traffic when they have right away. Is this common in other states or what?

Plus i get the whole "glancing and then going" argument. Because when an everyday driver is going through their daily routine and come to a yield (assuming it was), glance to check, and then go. They arent factoring in the possibility that there might be vehicles speeding faster than average, so when they decide to go and realize the oncoming cars are going faster than expected, the end result is what you see in this video.

And i do believe that the mustang went to jail longer because he was, well, driving a mustang.

Glad no one was killed, and seeing this video really showed me the reality of how fast **** can go down. I find myself driving a little fast in town too sometimes
Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all about the perspective.

I never said the person stopping at the stop sign is automatically at fault....but really if you value your life at all are you going to be stupid enough to whip your head left to right then stab the throttle?
No....you're going to physically look both directions for at least 2 - 5 seconds each way so you can properly gauge the distance and speed of any conflicting traffic (including those hard to see slow-moving cyclists) and make an intelligent decision based on that information.

You said it your self:

Honestly, If said person pulled out and got hit - then apparently the 'coast' wasn't actually clear and he should have done a better job at looking in order to save him self from any potential harm.
Not to save the law breaking drag racers, but to save him self...it's called self-preservation for a reason...ya know - preservation of your self....lol

The one-way-lookers and people who do a quick snap left to right to see if anyone is at their door are the ones who pull out in front of people and get others killed whether they're speeding or not.
I'm willing to say ******** like that are responsible for a good percentage of motorcycle accidents...people just don't take the time to literally stop and look. They ignorantly do a half-assed glance both ways and pull out.
I don't know how many times I've been doing the speed limit going 55 - 60mph only to have someone stop, stare at me, and still pull out in front of me to where i have to slam on my brakes and hunt for spots to ditch my car just in case.

And... lol of course it's going to be the semi's fault that he ran the red light....but it's your own damn fault also if you don't protect your self and defend your self by taking the time to look at on coming traffic and make an intelligent decision to pull out based on whether it's safe or not.
If you're dumb enough to not look and just blindly pull out in front of anyone then i have no pity for you at all, that's called natural selection.

Obviously it's all in the context of the situation, sometimes there are blind corners and yadda yadda...My point is this....i don't care if it's two people racing in cars, a church bus, a loaded down semi, or a motorcycle. If you don't do your own part to protect your self and you choose to half *** look both ways and pull out, who's really to blame? You had an opportunity to not only potentially save your own life but the lives of others and you blew it by being impatient and not spending an extra couple seconds to secure your own basic safety.
I'm willing to bet if you or i were in that tan car neither of us would have been stupid enough to pull out. I'd have taken my time and waited, watched them fly by, smiled and shook my head to my self, then continued about my business intact and alive. I do it every morning at this cluster-**** intersection i have by my house.

I agree in court the defense for the Mustang and Camaro is going to be weak, but I mean from a real life honest and common sense perspective you have to consider all variables and their roles. Besides, 90% of what goes on in a courtroom is lies and misleading information through forced perspectives to get a desired outcome from jurors who don't even wanna be there. Hardly 'justice.'
You have to understand, I know that the tan car is apart of the accident, and yes he/she pulled out in front of the two racing cars. But, on the other had, this accident almost certainly would not have happened if they were not racing. Racing is what caused this accident, that is the point I'm trying to get across.

I understand your point, yes the person driving the tan car should have been more observant, and probably shouldn't have pulled out....ok, they shouldn't have pulled out at all, and yes the accident wouldn't have happened. But, this person could have looked both ways, judged how far the cars were, and thought it was far enough way for him to pull out. You know this, cars gain distance much quicker when speeding, then when going an average speed. So ok, he misjudged the distance of the oncoming cars, and ran right into them. Yeah, he should have probably put a little more though into driving forward...but we need to understand the real cause of the accident was two guys racing down a city street...something which most people aren't on the lookout for every day. So, most people don't think....oh those two cars could be racing at me at a higher speed then normal, I better rethink my move.

Being a motorcyclist myself, I am more observant about others, because you have to be.....and this is a case that shows that. I agree with you there.

But, I will not step down from the fact that the real cause was two kids street racing down a city street with no concern of other peoples health. And, they're luck ran out on this one.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Because once you go over the speed limit, you no longer have the right a way.
Starting to accept laws as "laws" is quite a scary proposition. True common sense should always supersede our governments laws.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Glad you get it.

And what Bucket-turd is trying to say is take responsibility for your own driving actions or any actions in life and stop trying to blame everyone else

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-08-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _JB_
I don't agree with the, "I didn't realize how fast they were going" statement. That is someone who is not really paying attention to driving. That's like holding a gun to someone's head, pulling the trigger and saying, "I didn't know the gun was loaded."

Maybe I'm just butthurt because I lost a friend on a motorcyle because a lady pulled out in front of him.
I have to agree w/ you at a point. That was a busy street and the only way the crown vic wouldn't have seen 2 red cars coming is...
1: on cell phone not paying attention. or
2: they were traveling close to 100mph.
call me crazy but it looks like the crown vic hit the mustang, like they hit the gas instead of the brakes. Anyone see it that way?

Last edited by Badhawk; 12-08-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

You have to understand, I know that the tan car is apart of the accident, and yes he/she pulled out in front of the two racing cars. But, on the other had, this accident almost certainly would not have happened if they were not racing. Racing is what caused this accident, that is the point I'm trying to get across.

I understand your point, yes the person driving the tan car should have been more observant, and probably shouldn't have pulled out....ok, they shouldn't have pulled out at all, and yes the accident wouldn't have happened. But, this person could have looked both ways, judged how far the cars were, and thought it was far enough way for him to pull out. You know this, cars gain distance much quicker when speeding, then when going an average speed. So ok, he misjudged the distance of the oncoming cars, and ran right into them. Yeah, he should have probably put a little more though into driving forward...but we need to understand the real cause of the accident was two guys racing down a city street...something which most people aren't on the lookout for every day. So, most people don't think....oh those two cars could be racing at me at a higher speed then normal, I better rethink my move.

Being a motorcyclist myself, I am more observant about others, because you have to be.....and this is a case that shows that. I agree with you there.

But, I will not step down from the fact that the real cause was two kids street racing down a city street with no concern of other peoples health. And, they're luck ran out on this one.
No need to step down, it all makes sense.
I was just trying to shed light on an often over looked factor, and how it probably could have been avoided had the tan car taken it's time.
I agree. At the end of the day, had they not been speeding that accident most likely wouldn't have happened.

to their survival!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Badhawk
I have to agree w/ you at a point. That was a busy street and the only way the crown vic wouldn't have seen 2 red cars coming is...
1: on cell phone not paying attention. or
2: they were traveling close to 100mph.
call me crazy but it looks like the crown vic hit the mustang, like they hit the gas instead of the brakes. Anyone see it that way?
That's what I was saying before, it looked almost intentional on the tan cars part. I realize that people can take a left on a green light in that intersection, BUT it is a yield to thru-traffic light.

While I do agree that the racers are equally at fault, the tan car obviously was not driving to their full abilities either. And considering that I have had cars, trucks, and even semis pull out in front of me at a similar intersection where I live, I can definitely agree with you that plain and simple, the crown vic was not paying attention either.

That aside, we all get stupid and all make mistakes, lord knows I've had my share. It's just a good thing no one was hurt and everyone can chalk it up to a "lesson learned".
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 AM
12 Second Club

just more proof that there's a time and a place to play, kids. and totally true that other drivers can be extremely dangerous, ask a motorcycle rider.

oh, glad that you asked. YES i almost get killed by cagers all the time.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please.

But see in those cases the racers would have ran into the other guys right of way. Regardless if they were over the speed limit or not the other car STILL crossed into their right of way. They didn't appear to be going that fast when they impacted the Crown Vic. So in this case i think they kinda got screwed but it does happen and if they are over what punishment they got then oh well