Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Mustang + Camaro + Busy Street = Jail Time

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mylittlez06
if it makes you feel any better I like your new camaro more lol
Haha, thank you! I like it too, just wish I could drive it! Gotta wait until May...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Gee mister, I'll tell that to my self right before i pull out in front of that damned semi trying to beat the red light at the intersection.
That's the same terrible logic as covering your eyes with your hands and saying, "I can't see you - you can't see me."
There's absolutely no common sense or rationality put into that statement.
Other than to aid a 'once you're breaking the law you shouldn't have a choice in the matter.' - type of mentality. But that's just silly.

It is painfully obvious that the tan car was responsible for the whole thing whether they were speeding or not.
The person either didn't look for ****, or for some ungodly reason just pulled out anyway.
If someone were to do that to me they had better hope they killed me or mangled me bad enough to where i couldn't exit my vehicle and beat their ***.

Just out of curiosity sk8rax350, was it some old blue hair driving or what?

Glad everyone turned out ok.
The guy that was driving the Crown Vic was either 69 or 71 at the time. In the police report he claimed that he didn't see us.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 97'RS6-BucketTurd
Well sir you are intelligent and are spot on, i understand all of that.
But with knowing all of that information and the dangers of the dreaded 'glance-and-go' method, wouldn't you take that into consideration and well....not do that?
Driving like that sounds rather wreck-less and careless and should be avoided don't you think?

My first response was going for the unobvious but still very important part of this scenario that people often overlook. Which would be, how, and why the car that was struck managed to get into the path of these cars, could it have been avoided, and how.
Chances are...yes...had said person paid more attention these guys would have went right past him and continued slowing down, hopefully realizing the perils of their adventures and choosing to play it safe....or play it somewhere else that 'is' safe. Or, who knows - they might have kept going and hit someone else? Ya' never know.

My point is, just because they were doing something illegal doesn't definitively mean they're fully responsible for the entire wreck.
(In real life terms...not caveman BS court room terms.)

I'm sure if the video depicted them cruising along at legal speeds and that person pulled out on them just the same the response for this video would be drastically different and everyone would be hating on the tan cars driver for being at fault and ruining two performance cars...lol but the person driving the tan car could have done the same half *** glance in both videos and no one would know the difference.

I'm curious to know the speed they were going compared to the speed limit for that road. (I can't see the speedo' in the video well enough.)

If you watch the video and pause it at 0:22 the guy that took a right into the same entrance the tan car was trying to take that left into wasn't even out of the way enough for him to safely cross the road and get into the entrance...to me it looks like he was trying to beat traffic and cross it in time, knowing he'd be up the guys *** who just turned in. Another signal to me the guy in the tan car didn't know wtf he was doing.
The speed limit of the road was 40, and the detectives determined us to be going approximately 60 at the time of impact. I was paying attention to the guy that was turning right because it was the only obstacle in my path, plus I couldn't even see the Crown Vic until it was too late, as you can see from the video.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95CamaroLS1
To me in the video it looks like there is a median in between the two directions of traffic, I dont know if its only in Oregon but i have never encountered a light that yields for traffic to turn left when there is a median and three lanes of traffic when they have right away. Is this common in other states or what?

Plus i get the whole "glancing and then going" argument. Because when an everyday driver is going through their daily routine and come to a yield (assuming it was), glance to check, and then go. They arent factoring in the possibility that there might be vehicles speeding faster than average, so when they decide to go and realize the oncoming cars are going faster than expected, the end result is what you see in this video.

And i do believe that the mustang went to jail longer because he was, well, driving a mustang.

Glad no one was killed, and seeing this video really showed me the reality of how fast **** can go down. I find myself driving a little fast in town too sometimes
The right of way is supposed to be yielded by the person that is turning left.

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
You have to understand, I know that the tan car is apart of the accident, and yes he/she pulled out in front of the two racing cars. But, on the other had, this accident almost certainly would not have happened if they were not racing. Racing is what caused this accident, that is the point I'm trying to get across.

I understand your point, yes the person driving the tan car should have been more observant, and probably shouldn't have pulled out....ok, they shouldn't have pulled out at all, and yes the accident wouldn't have happened. But, this person could have looked both ways, judged how far the cars were, and thought it was far enough way for him to pull out. You know this, cars gain distance much quicker when speeding, then when going an average speed. So ok, he misjudged the distance of the oncoming cars, and ran right into them. Yeah, he should have probably put a little more though into driving forward...but we need to understand the real cause of the accident was two guys racing down a city street...something which most people aren't on the lookout for every day. So, most people don't think....oh those two cars could be racing at me at a higher speed then normal, I better rethink my move.

Being a motorcyclist myself, I am more observant about others, because you have to be.....and this is a case that shows that. I agree with you there.

But, I will not step down from the fact that the real cause was two kids street racing down a city street with no concern of other peoples health. And, they're luck ran out on this one.
Don't make me sound like such a bad person. There was not one moment that I didn't hope that everyone was ok, and most importantly alive. God was with all of us on that one. Yes, it was stupid to race on that street, but you don't expect someone to pull out in front of you, especially in broad daylight driving a red car with daytime running lights.

Originally Posted by Badhawk
I have to agree w/ you at a point. That was a busy street and the only way the crown vic wouldn't have seen 2 red cars coming is...
1: on cell phone not paying attention. or
2: they were traveling close to 100mph.
call me crazy but it looks like the crown vic hit the mustang, like they hit the gas instead of the brakes. Anyone see it that way?
We probably were traveling close to 100 mph at one point, but that would have been quite a bit before he decided to make his turn. He did hit the rear of the mustang, which is the reason he was sent out of control and supposedly rolled. I had nowhere near enough time to avoid the accident once I saw the car.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
And we wonder why the punishments for street racing have gotten so harsh. It's because of incidents like THIS. We should ALL be against this kind of irresponsible behavior, no matter if you street race or not. **** like this is why the police are constantly cracking down on car meets and legal race events, and why the laws against street racing are getting more and more strict.

The Camaro and Mustang drivers were behaving like ricers in gutted CRXs. It reflects very poorly on the entire car enthusiast community and strengthens the stereotypes of muscle car owners as reckless and irresponsible. Why are people defending this??
Agree, The fact people are trying to put blame on the tan car is rather funny. It was well more then obvious the kids in the Camaro/Mustang were street racing which basically from that put them to blame. In the end its hard to point fingers here seeming we only know 1 side of the story and the camera goes out as the crash happens so we know nothing other then what the camaro owner is saying which was both sides had a green light. I see that the tan car had a "yield on green" turn light so probably wasn't expecting 2 cars to come racing down a busy road at 100mph so probably misjudged do to that and had no time to react because it was to late. Not saying that hes not at fault because he probably could have waited them to go by but like I said we don't know what he saw from his view.

Bottom line here is simple..........DO NOT STREET RACE. How hard is that for people to understand? More so on a busy road.......its dam common sense which is something most people seriously lack these days. I lost my first car (silver camaro) due to 2 idiots racing and in busy traffic one smacked right into the back of my car totaling it the worst part was I was sitting at a red light which means they were in NO way paying any attention.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

video brings back memories...had a 99 trans am doin about 50 mph, out of nowhere some girl with a lexus who had her license only 2 days pulls out and my car was totalled. Insurance company gave me $6,000 for the totalled car & after 8 months i'm still waiting on my settlement money.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you guys read his post that said it was determined that he was only going 60 in a 40? that's not to terribly high over, not 100 like you guys were saying. Are you telling me that if 1/2 mile back up the road you passed somebody and hit 100mph in a 60 mph zone then all of the sudden the next intersection some dumbass pulls out and hits you. Are you saying you are at fault for it because something you had done a ways back up that wasn't legal? They had been racing and were down to not much over the limit in that area and some dumbass pulled in front of them when he shouldn't have. At the most he should have gotten a 60 in a 40 ticket that's it.

P.S. i'm not saying street racing is something to be doing but you can't say if you were in that situation, not going that much over the limit, that you'd be like "bring me to jail i was going to fast" give me a break. I'm done here....
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Despite what some nubs say, the Crown Vic caused this accident.

Yes they were racing, speeding too.

BUT.

Grandpa Joe in his piece of **** Ford should've been apt enough to judge the distance and speed of oncoming traffic. TOO MANY drivers have a BAD habit of just looking at how far away an object is and not observing how fast/slow they are going and where they will be as you are in the middle of your turn blocking their path.

I can almost guarantee that was the situation here or even more likely is that this douche bag just saw two red blobs of color somewhere down the road and proceeded to idle through the light. This is why I'm very against left on green in 90% of intersections, a green arrow is the safest way of doing things, I've seen WAY too many accidents because of this type of intersection, people are just ******* clueless and think because the light is green for them, that they can just go and the other people have to stop.

I want to reiterate, I am not defending the guys racing, just saying that there are a lot of BAD drivers, traffic lights and intersections out there that nothing is ever done about until it's too late.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole Train
did you guys read his post that said it was determined that he was only going 60 in a 40?
That's 20 over, enough to earn you a reckless driving ticket. That means a suspended license and in some states, possible jail time.

The Crown Vic driver was guilty maybe of failing to yield right of way, but I very much doubt the police officer at the scene would consider the street racers to have the right of way...
Old 12-18-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lt1Powerz
Okay guys dont take this the wrong way and i in no way want to get flamed or frowned upon for this but the same thing happened to me about two years ago and i pay for it everyday with aches and pains all over my body... As well as the thought of almost killing someone or myself. I spent six days in the hospital because of this stupid act, im scared as hell to go fast now and would in no way recomend it to anyone!

Oh and poke fun at the RICER STATUS all you want, it was my first car... We know we all thought our first cars were fast lol

FROM THIS:

TO THIS IN LESS THAN 3 SECONDS FLAT:

I really dont need to hear any BS about how dumb i was because believe me i know... I feel like a jackass and i get chills everytime i look at these pictures... I am only showing this to maybe help those of you who want to try racing like an idiot.

Leave it on the track guys... Please.

Whats up with the gay wing?.. and the quote I highlighted... my first ride was a 97 jeep wrangler jacked, up big tires the whole shubang... i dont know if i would consider it fast if i had to radio into semi drivers and ask if i could draft off them on the highway to do 65mph lol.. and if you really thought ur ricer car was fast... well i feel sorry for your parents lol..
Old 12-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust
Despite what some nubs say, the Crown Vic caused this accident.

Yes they were racing, speeding too.

BUT.

Grandpa Joe in his piece of **** Ford should've been apt enough to judge the distance and speed of oncoming traffic. TOO MANY drivers have a BAD habit of just looking at how far away an object is and not observing how fast/slow they are going and where they will be as you are in the middle of your turn blocking their path.

I can almost guarantee that was the situation here or even more likely is that this douche bag just saw two red blobs of color somewhere down the road and proceeded to idle through the light. This is why I'm very against left on green in 90% of intersections, a green arrow is the safest way of doing things, I've seen WAY too many accidents because of this type of intersection, people are just ******* clueless and think because the light is green for them, that they can just go and the other people have to stop.

I want to reiterate, I am not defending the guys racing, just saying that there are a lot of BAD drivers, traffic lights and intersections out there that nothing is ever done about until it's too late.

To add to that, I don't even understand why the car pulled out. A truck was turning to the right so it's not like he was able to drive straight through the intersection yet. Cars were also coming through the intersection, looks like he was planning on pulling out in the intersection and then waiting for traffic to clear so he could proceed. Shouldn't pull out in an intersection unless it's clear. Was this a four way stop or something?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
The Crown Vic driver was guilty maybe of failing to yield right of way, but I very much doubt the police officer at the scene would consider the street racers to have the right of way...
Agree, the Crown Vic driver was at fault based off what the video shows and if there was no stop sign for the Camaro and Mustang. Would be hard to prove they were actually racing. Playing? Yes, but not racing. Definitely could write them up for speeding.

Did you guys take the case to court? Prison on your record would have to really hurt your career plans.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

crown vic caused this accident the way i see it.

glad everyone wasn't to bad in shape after the accident.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Quite a big difference of opinion everyone has. I can tell you all that I definitely learned not to street race from this experience. It may be a fun adrenaline rush, but this possible outcome makes it not worth it. Still can't do any driving though, considering I don't have my license.

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
To add to that, I don't even understand why the car pulled out. A truck was turning to the right so it's not like he was able to drive straight through the intersection yet. Cars were also coming through the intersection, looks like he was planning on pulling out in the intersection and then waiting for traffic to clear so he could proceed. Shouldn't pull out in an intersection unless it's clear. Was this a four way stop or something?
No, it wasn't a four way stop. It was a regular four way traffic light.

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Agree, the Crown Vic driver was at fault based off what the video shows and if there was no stop sign for the Camaro and Mustang. Would be hard to prove they were actually racing. Playing? Yes, but not racing. Definitely could write them up for speeding.

Did you guys take the case to court? Prison on your record would have to really hurt your career plans.
We were charged with racing because of the witnesses. We did go to court, but didn't think the jury would think too much in our favor after seeing the video, so we took a plea deal.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Another reason why automatics are gay. Maybe if I wanted to race.someone while eating.a cheeseburger LOL. Lucky it wasn't worse.
Punch yourself in the face moron.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

You don't read much do you? Like what I wrote right after I posted......:sigh:

Kick yourself in the dick hippie!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with how stupid and how dangerous it is to be racing on a city street especially with lots of traffic and should not be done.

now idk what the speed limit is on the street they were on but for ***** n giggles say 40mph, now if they were traveling at say speed and that tan car pulled out like the dumbass he is, the outcome could easily be the same.

i do believe the person in the tan car should have recieved something for his carlessness as well. maybe not jail time but something.
you cant always use your carlessness as a fricken excuse.

i have had plenty of dumb jackasses pull out in front of me and on numerous occasions tried to get them to pull over to have a little chit chat if you know what i mean.

I CANT STAND DRIVERS WHO DONT PAY ATTENTION AND ARE DUMB ASA BOX O ROCKS

Last edited by ls1adamls1; 12-20-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you pause the video you can go frame by frame and you can tell that idiot in the crown vic did not pay attention or didnt realize they two cars had a green light as well.
he turned out right in front of them at a moment where the was no time to react!!!
the driver of crown vic should loose his license as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

whatta dipshit he fucked up good