Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Top Gear - Pontiac GTO vs. Chrysler 300C vs. Jaguar S-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Top Gear - Pontiac GTO vs. Chrysler 300C vs. Jaguar S-Type R

The first episode of Top Gear's new season aired last night, and they had a segment where they compared the Vauxhall Monaro VXR (aka Holden Special Vehicles Coupe GTO aka Pontiac GTO) with the Chrysler 300C and Jaguar S-Type R.

right click, save target as

See how the new Goat fared against some pretty heady competition.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm only half way through it but didnt ford take over jaguar?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

and it restarts 9 minutes into it, what kinda crap is that lol
Old 10-25-2004, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

i got the restart too
Old 10-25-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Ditto.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

same here too
Old 10-25-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it worth downloading then?
Old 10-25-2004, 02:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I've reloaded the video, downloaded it myself, and it now plays all the way through.

My apologies guys.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it me or am I the only one who wants to punch those guys right in the mouth! I have watched two of those shows, both on here and it is obvious that they just hate American cars. I guess we are just doing it all wrong. Maybe we should be doing top fuel drags in the sand. I know that cars accelerate the best in the sand. I think that maybe I will wait until the snow starts flying this winter before I go out and do some quarter mile testing in the Z. I might just stop and see how fast it will dig a hole in the snow. CARS ARE MADE TO BE DRIVEN ON ROADS, NOT ON BEACHES! Well, they can't even drive on the right side of the road so what do you expect. Those guys are real intelligent! Maybe the next time they get some performance cars to test they can rent out the local ice skating rink or the moto cross track and see how they do.....MORONS!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
Is it me or am I the only one who wants to punch those guys right in the mouth!
Jesus, lighten up.

Did you really expect a 4,200lb. 300C to outhandle and brake the other two cars? If you've read other magazines here in the US, they have the same complaints with it that these guys have.

Relax, have fun watching the show, don't get so butthurt over their opinions.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am pretty sure that his comments are steming from not only the c6 episode, but also the fact that they do treat american cars like they were built by a 10 year old with a leggo kit. I agree with you n20blkz, they are complete **** (not to be confused with a cigarette) over there. I also hate how many people from the uk consistantly refer to us as 'the colonies'. I mean they lost, we won, and now they are royally pissed because we saved their asses twice and are still king-big-dick on the block. Sorry for the rant, but they really do **** me off over there.

As for this episode, it is much better than the c6 vid. I have seen around 10 or so different episodes that I uncovered a while back. They do have some good insight on many makes and models, and their opinions on alot of the top end vehicles (ie. ferrari, lambo, bmw, etc.) is inline with other shows/testers.

Fry
Old 10-25-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok first things first.....Thankyoufor posting this. Since I dint get to watch to much TV here in Iraqi land, this gives me such a nice warma nd fuzzy inside.....
I enjoyed this one alot. I like to see Luxury cars (Voxial not in that class) sliding sideways....It's kinda cool. Granted the Chrysler's TCS couldnt be turned off....:sad:
BUT, it is still a good looking ride, and for the price...Like they said you really cant beat it.

Voxial(?) = GTO pretty much. Just about the same car just right hand drive.
Same Drive train, Engine and so on....Top winner even though it didnt have 400hp....Oh well....

Jaguar has always been a very nice car. Although I really dont like the look of the front end on these rides, they still drive extremely nice. I ithink the ONLY reason it had 400hp was the fact it was the only one Superchargered.....Take that away and you have what? 250hp? Maybe a lil more or less? Take that away and I beleive the Chrysler would have handed the Jag it's ***!!

But then again I dont know to much about S/C 's so I will leave that to you guys who know more than I!!

But thanks agian for this post...I look forward to more of Top Gear!!

Neil
Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Banned

man they always bash on american cars. the c6 was made to look like a family car. "look at these cheap plastics where are they gettin them from?" ill never forget that n the "cheap car with vietnamese suspension" even though it placed way higher than their expectations. i hate that they always test them against way higher priced cars. c6 vs nsx & porsche 911. n in this episode 25,000 lb 300 c vs an expensice *** jaguar that was supercharged vs 2 n/a's. i dunno atleast they ended up likin the goat or monaro whatever same masa differnet toilet. i love the show but just not when they test american cars.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
Voxial(?) = GTO pretty much. Just about the same car just right hand drive. Same Drive train, Engine and so on....Top winner even though it didnt have 400hp....Oh well....
It's Vauxhall, GM's British brand, they mostly sell rebadged Opels from Germany.

The VXR is our GTO with slightly more power (380HP), much better brakes, and some different body parts. It's Australia's HSV GTO rebadged as a Vauxhall. The 2005 LS2 GTO will have similar brakes, and more power.

The 300C's Mercedes-Benz sourced Stability Control cannot be defeated, so it can't be pushed to the handling limits, and even so, I can attest it does lean quite a bit in corners, and that the Hemi lacks low end grunt.

They were very complimentary of each car, and made fun of all of them as well. That's what they do, and nothing is safe or sacred.

I always get a kick out of how people here react to the show, especially if they give an American car a little crap. Like the C6 (and they didn't even give it a bad review!).

Old 10-25-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

The British just think that they are better than everybody else, that's all that it boils down to. If the American's had the bast car there, they would never admit it.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
The British just think that they are better than everybody else, that's all that it boils down to. If the American's had the bast car there, they would never admit it.
Care to explain their review of the Ford GT then, or are you another guy without a clue?
Old 10-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Vauxhall have 2 versions of the Monaro on sale in the UK, the standard V8 with 329hp and the VXR with 382hp. Check out the prices though. £28000 and £36000. At the current exchange rate that's around $50000 and $64000 and with gas around £3.80 a gallon that's $6.80. Gettin your kicks ain't cheap in the UK!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by icemanthrilla
man they always bash on american cars. the c6 was made to look like a family car. "look at these cheap plastics where are they gettin them from?" ill never forget that n the "cheap car with vietnamese suspension" even though it placed way higher than their expectations. i hate that they always test them against way higher priced cars. c6 vs nsx & porsche 911. n in this episode 25,000 lb 300 c vs an expensice *** jaguar that was supercharged vs 2 n/a's. i dunno atleast they ended up likin the goat or monaro whatever same masa differnet toilet. i love the show but just not when they test american cars.
Your damn straight, they F'n always say sum dumbas ****... "The car is in 5th and it sits at 1500RPM's", so what??? That's how we save gas... drop that **** into 3rd and see what happens
Old 10-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Launching!

What the *** are they doing in the sand?????? Seriously??
Old 10-25-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Posted by: TriShield
Care to explain their review of the Ford GT then, or are you another guy without a clue?
Can't comment on it if I haven't seen it. I would rather not sit around watching a bunch of Brits brag about their high priced cars. I have no doubt that their car are probably somewhat better quality in some areas. BUT, people are not going to be buying Chrysler 300's to to donuts on the beach! I think that they need to get a clue! Yes, I do have a clue, it's somewhere here, I'll find it.

Still looking!

Oh yeah, there it is!

Quick Reply: Top Gear - Pontiac GTO vs. Chrysler 300C vs. Jaguar S-Type R