Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

383 LT1 TA w/ spray vs SRT4 vs STi vs Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CRAGER
...but the hazzards were mega ricer gay.

There's no doubt about that!
Old 01-08-2006 | 09:03 AM
Teching In

yes its an lt1 and no he was not spraying unless he is lying to me (which is possible) but im going to say he was not spraying, we went out last night and played, i saw the srt4 take off after some cars and it didnt seem as fast as Rickys TA, maybe close though. At leats not with Ricky on spray. Im not gonna sit here and swing though, they are all fast...ill have another vid up in a couple days of that STI and a few others....
Old 01-08-2006 | 09:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by deathrowZ28
uhhh.
If you are refering to the srt4 you are incredibly wrong....The cars are so under-rated, but you can get them into the 12's for $500.....
That SRT4 -
AGP .50 Trim Kit - $1700
other fuel mods - $200
$500 in misc bolt-ons

at ~$2500 for a 400+whp 4-door 4-banger, it isnt that bad.
I understand that the SRT4's make power easily, and that makes me nervous. But, I'd rather get passed by a domestic 4banger than a honda. I've raced DONE UP Hondas and still passed them. Whiney superchargers, riced out all to hell, no CrAZy boost #'s and spray or anything, but I've never been passed by one. I'd give up racing all together if I did. What ever you do, there will ALLWAYS be someone faster and richer than you out there.

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but If I went out and got a Cobalt SS and threw a smaller pulley on it and an exh, it run about $1200, but I'd get flamed SO hard on here. "You fawkin ricer.." I've actually thought about getting a Cobalt just for a sporty car that gets good gas mileage. (and it's a GM)

They way I figure.. (Oh, and I mentioned 400hp)
-$380 -Cam
-$1000- headers and Y
-$400 Decent catback
-$250 Misc Bolt ons (lid, filter, !CAGS...etc) OK $2000... anyway...

That'd be good for about 400rwhp. I understand the weight ratio thing, and mabie it's just because I HATE loosing and mabie I have a bit of an ego when it comes to my car.....

I'd feel diminished if I got passed by a damn shopping carrage. -That **** pisses me off. And then they do NOTHING but talk **** after!

anyway......sorry.....

Last edited by bayer-z28; 01-08-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2006 | 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I understand that the SRT4's make power easily, and that makes me nervous. But, I'd rather get passed by a domestic 4banger than a honda. I've raced DONE UP Hondas and still passed them. Whiney superchargers, riced out all to hell, no CrAZy boost #'s and spray or anything, but I've never been passed by one. I'd give up racing all together if I did. What ever you do, there will ALLWAYS be someone faster and richer than you out there.

I'm not trying to turn this into a pissing contest, but If I went out and got a Cobalt SS and threw a smaller pulley on it and an exh, it run about $1200, but I'd get flamed SO hard on here. "You fawkin ricer.." I've actually thought about getting a Cobalt just for a sporty car that gets good gas mileage. (and it's a GM)

They way I figure.. (Oh, and I mentioned 400hp)
-$380 -Cam
-$1000- headers and Y
-$400 Decent catback
-$250 Misc Bolt ons (lid, filter, !CAGS...etc) OK $2000... anyway...

That'd be good for about 400rwhp. I understand the weight ratio thing, and mabie it's just because I HATE loosing and mabie I have a bit of an ego when it comes to my car.....

I'd feel diminished if I got passed by a damn shopping carrage. -That **** pisses me off. And then they do NOTHING but talk **** after!

anyway......sorry.....
you have to think though about how times are kinda changing with imports. you take a look at say honda-tech.com and there really arent riced out civics on there. they are run off of there faster tahn they would be here. turbo civics are becoming VERY popular because of how cheap they are to build.

also a pullied Cobalt isnt considered rice. whoever considers it rice simply because its a FWD 4 cylinder is a grade a moron. period.

400rwhp from a cammed ls1 is gonna be fast but not fast enough for even a 350whp civic. or a bigger turbo srt4. thats evident by the video where that 383 lt1 walked them. a 383 lt1 if built correct will beat a cammed ls1 for all intents and purposes. so just imagine how your car with those mods would have done in that race.

BTW Craig, me and my friends do the hazards thing too. we do it as a joke though cuz we always laugh our asses off afterwards so maybe that was done as a joke...
Old 01-08-2006 | 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry fella. My H/C runs mid 11`s all day long. When I spray it, depending on traction I run Mid to high 10`s and my race weight is 3900lbs with me. That LT1 383 didn`t look like he sprayed is all I`m saying. I`m not saying the other cars are not fast. I just know a good built and TUNED 383 will put out 450-475RWHP. Then throw a 100 shot on and get another 100rwhp. That should be a 10`s T/A. I know enough, because of what my LS1 put down and runs. Again, anything can be made fast for the money!

And to say a cammed LS1 can`t beat a 400rwhp civic. You don`t know ****! There are alot of boys on this site that run low 11`s with just a cam. Some easly in the 10`s with H/C. Go look on the post of times and see for yourself!

And flashing your Hazards is gay. If you win, do it with alittle dignity! Thats how it should be!
Old 01-08-2006 | 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

cammed LT1/LS1 > 400 fwhp boosted Civic

TOTAL X 100

Total mullethead bs.

MY car will barely take a boosted Civic at that level... and my car will assrape a cammed LS1
Old 01-08-2006 | 06:03 PM
Teching In

its nice to see someone that knows what they are talking about bboy, i figured everyone would be the typical idiot.
Old 01-08-2006 | 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=bboyferal]400 hp in that SRT would be like 550 rwhp in an F-body. The cars don't exactly weigh the same, you know

QUOTE]

That is a silly statement, are you trying to say that the 400-500lb difference is worth 150whp? Are you also trying to say that the power curve of a small liter turbo car is going to be better than a big liter N/A car? You have shown that you know little.

Brandon
Old 01-08-2006 | 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you serious?

First of all try at least 600 lbs. SRT-4 is about 2850lbs.

Average F-body weight is 3400-3700 lbs.

YES, that is the difference. That's just an example anyway. So, the weight difference might be even more. BTW, many street trim F-body's are in the 3800 lbs. once you start adding many components and not removing.

And, powerband? That argument is old. Let's say the SRT-4 most advantageous powerband is between 4000 and 6000 rpms. Why would the driver need to be in any other rpm? That's lame.

Know little... Yeah, I guess.

I should know, uh, I have that exact amount (~550rwhp), more or less and drive it every day.

A 400 fwhp SRT-4 is no joke. Depending, anything can happen on the street, on quite a bit, I'd barely walk one if I won.

Since you know so much, have you ever raced a 400+ whp ~2800 lb compact car before?

Last edited by bboyferal; 01-08-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2006 | 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I've seen a vid where a civic w/ insayne boost #'s roasts a GTO like he was standing still. I'm not cool w/ that but, the weight difference does play a roll.

You take an all motor 200hp-ish 1700lb, 2 door honda del-sol w/ a gutted interior....It's like a go cart w/ a little more power.

I know I have a change of tone, I calmed down. I suppose I've just had a bad experience starting out w/. A stuck up rich boy down the street from me w/ a Honda that he thinks was fast even after I raced him twice and won twice! -He was still making excuses.
Old 01-08-2006 | 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Heh, I hear you. TRUST ME, I live in Miami, I know...

I deal with **** like that all the time. Race him for money. It's the only way to deal with little pussies like that. You'll still hear the excuses, but at least you can then take your GF/Wife out to dinner afterward.
Old 01-09-2006 | 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

I will buy that the powerband up high is there, HOWEVER it does not have the same grunt down low. How many people that are trying to go fast only add weight and dont take away? Not many, none I know anyways. My car isnt a stripper and weighs in at around 3200lbs, with basic weight reduction. 600lbs still doesnt equal 150whp, especially not on the highway.

Brandon

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Are you serious?

YES, that is the difference. That's just an example anyway. So, the weight difference might be even more. BTW, many street trim F-body's are in the 3800 lbs. once you start adding many components and not removing.

And, powerband? That argument is old. Let's say the SRT-4 most advantageous powerband is between 4000 and 6000 rpms. Why would the driver need to be in any other rpm? That's lame.

I should know, uh, I have that exact amount (~550rwhp), more or less and drive it every day.

A 400 fwhp SRT-4 is no joke. Depending, anything can happen on the street, on quite a bit, I'd barely walk one if I won.

Since you know so much, have you ever raced a 400+ whp ~2800 lb compact car before?
Old 01-09-2006 | 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I will buy that the powerband up high is there, HOWEVER it does not have the same grunt down low. How many people that are trying to go fast only add weight and dont take away? Not many, none I know anyways. My car isnt a stripper and weighs in at around 3200lbs, with basic weight reduction. 600lbs still doesnt equal 150whp, especially not on the highway.

Brandon

Yes, it does not have the grunt down low. Well, that's probably why we don't own those cars now, isn't it? Nonetheless, the fact remains that while a 400 fwhp SRT-4 has an undesireable powerband (to you and me), the driver would, in the knowledge of his engine's capabilities, have to just then wind up higher and obviously not race his car starting at 3k rpm... that would be stupid. He'd just start at 4500k rpm or something... Like I said, that argument is lame.

A 3200 lb F-body? Really? So you car weighs in at approximately the same weight as a... Corvette? Or actually LESS And it's not a stripper? Really? Sure, whatever you say.

I have alot of driveline and suspension in addition to the fact that I'm a convertible... yeah, uh, I weigh a good bit over 3800 lbs.

Not many? Uh, take a stroll through the Engine Internals and Forced Induction forums... not the Drag racing tech... where the Street Trim cars are with minimal to zero weight reduction performed. Average weight for modded F-bodies is around 3550 to 3750 lbs. I did alot of research when I was trying to predict my car's weight. THIS IS THE AVERAGE. Even 3400 lbs. is WAY below average for Street Trim F-body's with 450+ rwhp that are daily driven.

And YES, 600-700 lbs. will cover the 100-150 whp gap on the street with alot depending on what could happen in between, obviously not as a guarantee, but within adequate capability and possibility.

Last edited by bboyferal; 01-09-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2006 | 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it does not have the grunt down low. Well, that's probably why we don't own those cars now, isn't it? Nonetheless, the fact remains that while a 400 fwhp SRT-4 has an undesireable powerband (to you and me), the driver would, in the knowledge of his engine's capabilities, have to just then wind up higher and obviously not race his car starting at 3k rpm... that would be stupid. He'd just start at 4500k rpm or something... Like I said, that argument is lame.

A 3200 lb F-body? Really? So you car weighs in at approximately the same weight as a... Corvette? Or actually LESS And it's not a stripper? Really? Sure, whatever you say.

I have alot of driveline and suspension in addition to the fact that I'm a convertible... yeah, uh, I weigh a good bit over 3800 lbs.

Not many? Uh, take a stroll through the Engine Internals and Forced Induction forums... not the Drag racing tech... where the Street Trim cars are with minimal to zero weight reduction performed. Average weight for modded F-bodies is around 3550 to 3750 lbs. I did alot of research when I was trying to predict my car's weight. THIS IS THE AVERAGE. Even 3400 lbs. is WAY below average for Street Trim F-body's with 450+ rwhp that are daily driven.

And YES, 600-700 lbs. will cover the 100-150 whp gap on the street with alot depending on what could happen in between, obviously not as a guarantee, but within adequate capability and possibility.
Well you are going to take the win being so much longer "winded". Hey I get what you are saying and respect it, just dont agree with the lb/hp arguement. Yes my car does weigh ~3200 lbs or less. No back seats, no carpet, no a/c, tube a few things, dry cell battery, no heat shields, spare, jack. I guess that would be alittle more than some would live with or call minor things. I would just love to find a 400whp srt and see what the outcome is. Problem is that most all the guys around here have a BOV and exhaust, thats about it.

Brandon
Old 01-10-2006 | 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with most of what is said here. I just wanted to add that since these were "roll races" what the cars' ET's are in the 1/4 doesn't play as big of a roll as what they trap.

For instance, my car dyno'd just over 400whp on pump gas and ran 11.70@120mph. I ran against an older muscle car that was running about the same ET (mid 11.7's to low 11.8's) but he was trapping in the 112-114 range. There was another car there that was running low 11's @ 120ish. In a "roll race" I likely wouldn't have any problem keeping up with that car. Yet in a true drag race, I'd be several car lengths behind him at the end of the 1/4 mile.
Old 01-10-2006 | 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Well you are going to take the win being so much longer "winded". Hey I get what you are saying and respect it, just dont agree with the lb/hp arguement. Yes my car does weigh ~3200 lbs or less. No back seats, no carpet, no a/c, tube a few things, dry cell battery, no heat shields, spare, jack. I guess that would be alittle more than some would live with or call minor things. I would just love to find a 400whp srt and see what the outcome is. Problem is that most all the guys around here have a BOV and exhaust, thats about it.

Brandon
What you call wind, I call facts.

To see the lb/hp side of things, maybe you (3200 lb) need to race a compact 600-700 lbs less (so, 2600 lbs or so) with about 125 whp less than you (between 100 and 150 whp). You might be surprised at what could happen...

3200 lbs... Holy ****, man, don't be modest... your car's gutted, man!

You aren't the typical F-body.

Most guys having a BOV and exhaust? ******* posers, simple.

I'll tell you what, there's nothing jaw-dropping like going out and racing a Civic hatch gutted to about 1900 lbs. (that's not doing that much... alot of the same things you've removed on your car) with some boost and 260-300 fwhp. It's made me want to cry and shoot myself... but it happens.
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:23 AM
Teching In

I would just love to find a 400whp srt and see what the outcome is. Problem is that most all the guys around here have a BOV and exhaust, thats about it.

Brandon
there are actually quite a few big turbo SRT4's around you...
let me know and I can certainly let the guys know, theyre always looking for some runs to get on video
Old 01-11-2006 | 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Are you serious?

Um, my car was 3330 lbs, full weight, with nothing removed. And if it takes another 150rwhp to beat an srt-4, why do stock 230whp SRT-4's get walked by 300rwhp LS1's?
Old 01-12-2006 | 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

Man those were some good races.
Old 01-12-2006 | 06:24 AM
10 Second Club

Man there is alot of ignorance in this thread. Roll races are TOTALLY different than dig races. Turbo cars have UNGODLY acceleration on the top end and being lighter makes it that much faster. 400 who in a SRT4 will trap 120 mph and pull like a freaking freight train from a roll, and thats on pump gas. Dont even talk about putting race gas in and upping the boost to around 28. I know both cars, see my sig for my old car. I now have a 2004 SRT4 with a .50 trim and know what they can do. Mine isnt even tuned properly and ran door to door with a Z06 on the highway on only 18 psi. You guys really dont know what you are talking about.