Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

GTO spanked by Evo *vid*

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you sat in a newer Volvo? The seat feels like a damn Lazy-boy. Hands down THE most comfortable seat in a car I've ever sat in.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GTO69
Well i guess the AWD helped the little EVO win
Well... that and the fact that GTOs/Monaros are near 3800-3900 lbs. pigs. Evos check in at what, 3200-3300 lbs.

Originally Posted by BLK85
Im surprised the Evo driver didnt sit ont he line revveing to the rev limiter until the GTO got up there.
Not all Evo drivers are complete tools, just as not all GTO drivers are crackers aspiring to own 3-Series Bimmers without the cash.

Originally Posted by bdr_ws6
Your just an EVO fanboy. I don't care how fast they are, they are the definition of factory RICE. I'd own a slower GTO over one anyday. They look better, sound better, and have much more potential (LSx potential > Mitsu potential).
Gee if that isn't an example of the "ricer philosophy" I don't know what is. I know your LS1 is faster than my Type-R but my Type-R despite being slower looks better, sounds better, has a better suspension etc...

Originally Posted by 25psi
You got that backwards: 4G63>LSx
As much as I think Evos are absolutely badass and a thrill to drive you, I and Mitsubishi all know that the iron block 4G63 despite being a stout motor is an outdated piece of ****. I'm all for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy and I know the UK FQ-Series Evos are capable of pretty big numbers (specifically the Evo VIII FQ-400 and the Evo IX FQ-360) but it's about time Mitsu's Lancer "Evolution" do some evolving under the hood. Slapping MIVEC onto the old school mill just isn't going to cut it in such a competitive market. Just as Nissan and Toyota enthusiasts cried when the plug was pulled on the RB26DETT and the 2JZ-GTE, it's time for 4G63 fans to let go. The deal is already done and the 4G63T is going the way of the dodo and will be supplanted by the aluminum 4B11T GEMA motor when the Evo X hits showrooms.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

didnt even watch the vid...EVOs lick. nice thread on ls1tech. what were you thinkin when you posted this... you are just gonna keep get hammered on. HORRIBLE!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CantDrv55
Have you sat in a newer Volvo? The seat feels like a damn Lazy-boy. Hands down THE most comfortable seat in a car I've ever sat in.
Which model exactly? I've only driven an S40 T5 Geartronic but I can honestly say Volvo design has really come a long way since their shitboxes of the 80s. One detail on newer Volvos that I personally think is ubercool is the floating center console.

This shot is taken from the interior of the new C30 (another uberslick looking Volvo that I'd like to get my hands on) but the console is pretty much the same in the S40.

With Ford getting so many things right with Volvo as well as Aston Martin and Land Rover lately I still wonder in amazement how they managed to royally **** Jaguar as badly as they did over the past decade. The new S80 ain't no A6 but I'll be damned if it isn't a better looking car than BMW's whack looking E60 5er.

BTW, got anymore shots of your E39? Nice wheel selection. Sans the M5s set or wheels I think I liked that style on the E39 5er the best. Sorry about the off topic discussion.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 02-05-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Which model exactly? I've only driven an S40 T5 Geartronic but I can honestly say Volvo design has really come a long way since their shitboxes of the 80s. One detail on newer Volvos that I personally think is ubercool is the floating center console.

This shot is taken from the interior of the new C30 (another uberslick looking Volvo that I'd like to get my hands on) but the console is pretty much the same in the S40.

With Ford getting so many things right with Volvo as well as Aston Martin and Land Rover lately I still wonder in amazement how they managed to royally **** Jaguar as badly as they did over the past decade. The new S80 ain't no A8 but I'll be damned if it isn't a better looking car than Merc's bloated W221 S-Class and BMW's whack looking E65 7er.

BTW, got anymore shots of your E39? Nice wheel selection. Sans the M5s set or wheels I think I liked that style on the E39 5er the best. Sorry about the off topic discussion.
I drove an S60R and a S60T5 also. I was highly impressed with both, but they simply didn't have enough grunt for me. They were eons ahead of my moms old 200 series in the interior department alone.
If I need a family car, I'd most likely get the S60R.

I don't have any more pics of my 540 here at work. I'll put a few up after I get home later.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boosted 99 TA
didnt even watch the vid...EVOs lick. nice thread on ls1tech. what were you thinkin when you posted this... you are just gonna keep get hammered on. HORRIBLE!
Hmmm..I can look down and see Cobra vids on here as well. Oh the ironing!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Most of the Cobra owners are more mature acting than you are. You can post all the videos of cars beating GTO's you want and it will never bother me. If you don't like the GTO's looks that's your opinion, but the name calling is childish.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 25psi
For one, the motor has been proven to hold 5 times its original intentions. Secondly, the stock motor has been proven reliable for over 600rwhp. The tuner market is basically endless. There are people running low 7's with the factory block and stock displacement. The block itself it iron. The heads flow expectionally well stock! Able to hit low 11's with stock turbo(no nos)
John shepard and brett rau are the only TWO 4g63 guys running close to those times. WOW two people. Id sure like to see a 4g that stays running for an extended period of time as well. I have plenty of 4g friends and for some reason they cant stay running, they leak oil, you might as well put a harley davidson sticker on them. In the end LSX>4g63 4g63=gh3y
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Gee if that isn't an example of the "ricer philosophy" I don't know what is. I know your LS1 is faster than my Type-R but my Type-R despite being slower looks better, sounds better, has a better suspension etc...
Yea, your right. Since my opinions are weighed more to the apperance side of cars and not on just being flat out crazy fast I am ricer. It's called different tastes. Did I ever say that the GTO is better than the EVO? No, I said I like it better due to me thinking it looks better and sounds better. I did go on to say something about the potential of the motors where the GTO took the upper hand. I respect EVOs, but I do not like the cars one bit. Call me ricer all you want, I don't care.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Umm... seeing as you deemed it necessary to inform someone on page 3 about the difference between you're and your you might want to edit your post and replace ironing with what I assume was supposed to be irony before you get **** for that.

Sorry I just found that a little amusing.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bdr_ws6
Yea, your right. Since my opinions are weighed more to the apperance side of cars and not on just being flat out crazy fast I am ricer. It's called different tastes. Did I ever say that the GTO is better than the EVO? No, I said I like it better due to me thinking it looks better and sounds better. I did go on to say something about the potential of the motors where the GTO took the upper hand. I respect EVOs, but I do not like the cars one bit. Call me ricer all you want, I don't care.
I guess I just don't understand where you get off claiming that an Evo is "factory RICE" when everything about the Evo screams function over form. Yah it looks like a box on wheels but it's a box on wheels for a reason. To each his own I supposed.

If there's a manufacturer guilty of dispensing factory rice it's Pontiac. Especially a few years ago. Talk about **** for side cladding, scoops here, vents there and gaudy exterior ad ons slapped onto each and every one of their models. I figured they were starting to "get it" when they replaced the confused looking Grand-Am with the smoothed out G6 and when the gave the Bonnie it's final update before discontinuing the line but the G6 GXP concept and the hood scoops on the upcoming G8 are two steps back toward factory rice if you ask me. Ugh. The GTO was also a slick looking car until the ruined it with the hood scoops. To be fair I liked the scoops on the hotted up HSV GTO/Monaro VXR because of their heavily modified exteriors but it just flat out did not work on the American market GTO IMO.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Launching!

I guess I just don't understand where you get off claiming that an Evo is "factory RICE" when everything about the Evo screams function over form. Yah it looks like a box on wheels but it's a box on wheels for a reason. To each his own I supposed.

If there's a manufacturer guilty of dispensing factory rice it's Pontiac. Especially a few years ago. Talk about **** for side cladding, scoops here, vents there and gaudy exterior ad ons slapped onto each and every one of their models. I figured they were starting to "get it" when they replaced the confused looking Grand-Am with the smoothed out G6 and when the gave the Bonnie it's final update before discontinuing the line but the G6 GXP concept and the hood scoops on the upcoming G8 are two steps back toward factory rice if you ask me. Ugh. The GTO was also a slick looking car until the ruined it with the hood scoops. To be fair I liked the scoops on the hotted up HSV GTO/Monaro VXR because of their heavily modified exteriors but it just flat out did not work on the American market GTO IMO.
I guess its the big wing and stuff, I dunno. I still want to drive one, I bet they are fun to drive. I wouldn't own one though, and we've done covered why.

Oh man I do agree with the Pontiac statment, I mean look at the Aztek...wtf??? I think it all started around 1998 with the body change on the T/As, just IMO. I didn't like the scoops the GTOs got in 2005, but I did like the dual exhaust and the rear bumber treatment it got. I think when you ordered one you could get it without the scoops.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

cantdry55,you sound like a real piece of work! .My point is how close my 91' talon's motor was in comparison to the evo's.The reliability factor remains the same,HORRIBLE.You can only put so much on a 4 cylinder w/o it breaking down consistently.If the 4g63 motor was more reliable,I would've possibly looked into buying an evo,if I could get past owning a 4 door econobox.The LS series motors are far more reliable from what I've put them through personally.And as I've said already,the 91' was pretty much built new from the ground up,especially the motor,so no excuses.It fell apart,and now I'm over it.I put the little toy in the garbage and bought a car with a REAL motor in it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Umm... seeing as you deemed it necessary to inform someone on page 3 about the difference between you're and your you might want to edit your post and replace ironing with what I assume was supposed to be irony before you get **** for that.

Sorry I just found that a little amusing.
It was intentional actually. I had a picture with that as a caption, though as expected I can't dig it up right now.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00ws6spd
cantdry55,you sound like a real piece of work! .My point is how close my 91' talon's motor was in comparison to the evo's.The reliability factor remains the same,HORRIBLE.You can only put so much on a 4 cylinder w/o it breaking down consistently.If the 4g63 motor was more reliable,I would've possibly looked into buying an evo,if I could get past owning a 4 door econobox.The LS series motors are far more reliable from what I've put them through personally.And as I've said already,the 91' was pretty much built new from the ground up,especially the motor,so no excuses.It fell apart,and now I'm over it.I put the little toy in the garbage and bought a car with a REAL motor in it.
So you are making the implication that over 15 years, there have been no advances by Mitsu in regards to engine building? If a '91 Mitsu broke all the time, that means an '06 Mitsu will break all the time too? Talk about flawed thinking process.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

cantdrv...can't comprehend is more like it!!
I said how it was very similar!!Which it is!!Yes,it's been updated,but it's the same platform,and if you're going to try to deny that,you obviously know nothing about the 4g63.
You obviously know nothing about the ls series motors as well,as you would NEVER compare the two if you did.The ls series motors are WAY more reliable for race applications.Why do you think you have seen almost every kind of vehicle with a ls series swap?Do you ever see someone put a 4g63 motor into something other than a mitsu?Not hardly,if at all.Do you see it with ls1's/2's?HELL YES.The ls series motors are proven to be able to put down 1,000 reliable horsepower RELIABLY.Ever seen that on a 4g63?HELL NO!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

my STOCK 06 put a beating on 2 "modded evos" fuking ugly grocery getters they never stood a chance. I love what they are doing with new evos they look just like a mazda6 only more... ricey? Why do parents let their teenage kids on the computer? to come to ls1tech.com and talk about what they have in their "stable" which includes a bmw however he claims that IF he ever wanted to car for the interior he WOULD HAVE bought a bmw?? hmmm something doesn't sound right here. Evo's are like dogshit ... there everywhere!!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00ws6spd
cantdrv...can't comprehend is more like it!!
I said how it was very similar!!Which it is!!Yes,it's been updated,but it's the same platform,and if you're going to try to deny that,you obviously know nothing about the 4g63.
You obviously know nothing about the ls series motors as well,as you would NEVER compare the two if you did.The ls series motors are WAY more reliable for race applications.Why do you think you have seen almost every kind of vehicle with a ls series swap?Do you ever see someone put a 4g63 motor into something other than a mitsu?Not hardly,if at all.Do you see it with ls1's/2's?HELL YES.The ls series motors are proven to be able to put down 1,000 reliable horsepower RELIABLY.Ever seen that on a 4g63?HELL NO!
So, now because you owned that talon, you're an expert on the current generation of the 4g63?
Hey, I used to own an LS1 car, I know everything about the LS7!

Last edited by CantDrv55; 02-06-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sweetness
my STOCK 06 put a beating on 2 "modded evos" fuking ugly grocery getters they never stood a chance. I love what they are doing with new evos they look just like a mazda6 only more... ricey? Why do parents let their teenage kids on the computer? to come to ls1tech.com and talk about what they have in their "stable" which includes a bmw however he claims that IF he ever wanted to car for the interior he WOULD HAVE bought a bmw?? hmmm something doesn't sound right here. Evo's are like dogshit ... there everywhere!!
A beating? Really? That's funny because a friend of mine with an '05 GTO said he ran across an Evo when he was stock and it dusted his ***.
I believe there is going to be an Evo X in '08. What upgrades are they doing to the GTO for the '08 model year?

I like your little rant you typed up there. Judging by your obvious lack of proper English usage, I'm assuming you fall into the "teenage kids" category that you try to lambaste.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Staging Lane

cantdrv55,I believe "sweetness" was on to something,and I believe you're full of dogshit!!There is no chance in hell an evo would "smoke" an 05' goat.I have one.I've raced them.A stock one I WILL beat every time.If you wanna find out,make a trip to ohio.