F-35 Jsf

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-35 Jsf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaqJ4vWsY8

OMG, the beauty..

Last edited by ls1n00b; 02-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Huge piece of **** would be a better choice of wording.

W
Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

isn't that thing powered by a turbo LS1 ??
Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 AM
TECH Resident

Can't wait to see it fly at an airshow

Already seen one on the ground - that's some SERIOUS thrust-vectoring!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would look really good in the Thunderbirds paint scheme!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transAm-98
lol..............
Old 02-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transAm-98
That's what I thought haha
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, Hill AFB in Utah is suppose to be rep[lacing the f16's with them........Its going to be a badass jet once they get the bugs worked out
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Funny thing is the only competitor this plane could seriously fight (in a real war) would be owned by the PRC and any war with the PRC is going to be a long range affair, and this plane is not a long range warrior.

W
Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WECIV
Funny thing is the only competitor this plane could seriously fight (in a real war) would be owned by the PRC and any war with the PRC is going to be a long range affair, and this plane is not a long range warrior.

W
True.. but this jet (with its Harrier-like capabilities) seems to be much more carrier-friendly - you could have squadrons of these ready to take off near any coast around the globe and get there much more quickly than our Raptor could from a nearby AFB (in many situations, not all) but it'll be interesting to see how they implement this fighter - last I hear they're gonna have 2 to 4 versions to play mulitple combat rolls.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W
The JSF isn't an air-to-air platform. So what does all that have to do with the price of tea in China (pun intended)?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

The reason this matters is that in the last few yrs the PRC has acquired 400 4th Gen fighters with another couple hundred more coming in the next few years. The Chinese are also developing a 5th gen fighter which they will buy in considerable more quantity than the F22.

When you add in the ballistic missile force (well over 1300 as of Christmas) that the PRC has developed that will be capable of taking all our Western Pacific bases under fire...you realize we need range to avoid losing a good deal of our fighters (considering we have no hardened shelters to defend against such things it is not good, our only hardened shelters are in the ROK and they have told us they will not let us use their bases in a US/ROC/PRC war)...and that perhaps 100 F22s deployed for air-to-air will not suffice. Thus the AF needs a low end fighter (like the F35) to do air-to-air...which it is not barely capable of.

Also with a ballistic missile fusillade coming down how are you going to defend the large tankers and AWAC's on the ground that make a war in the Pacific work?

As for those of you with a hard on for the Naval and vertical take off versions of the F35...carriers may not be the best use of airpower considering the PRC's navy has a large and modern sub forced designed to take on US carriers along with Sovremensky Destroyers (which is only designed to take down US CVN's). And as of this year the PRC will have MARV's to attach to their ballistic missiles. Which is something that our BMD has never been designed against (and we only build 25 Ballistic Missile Interceptors a year to China's over 100 ballistic missiles they build each year).

All I am saying is...we are not designing a force that will be capable vis-a-vis China...and that is a shame cause if we pulled out of INF and designed some real long-range systems we could defeat them and avoid all of Asia and half of Russia going red.

W
Old 02-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

All I am saying is...we are not designing a force that will be capable vis-a-vis China...and that is a shame cause if we pulled out of INF and designed some real long-range systems we could defeat them and avoid all of Asia and half of Russia going red.

W
I will agree that we are designing a force that is more suited for fighting the cold war than anything else, but I highly doubt that China will fight us in a conventional fashion. Look at their history. They've had some of the greatest military minds in all of history...I think they'd be a little more creative than going nose to nose with us.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Junkie

I was meaning we cannot go toe-to-toe with them in 20-30 yrs...not that they would be crazy enough to fight us today. Today we would have a chance in such war...in 20-30 yrs a Guerre de Course will be our best bet...we will not be capable of going nose to nose with them in 20-30 yrs...while receiving an acceptable number of casualties.

W
Old 02-12-2008, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I will agree that we are designing a force that is more suited for fighting the cold war than anything else, but I highly doubt that China will fight us in a conventional fashion. Look at their history. They've had some of the greatest military minds in all of history...I think they'd be a little more creative than going nose to nose with us.

Agreed.
Look at how many things we use every day that say made in China. I REALLY doubt China is dumb enough to lose all of that $$$$$$$$$.

JSF's will start replacing the F-16 and others very soon.

F/A-22's are allready phasing out F-16 and F-15 units or at least will be on the 15's.

Some people SERIOUSLY underestemate our countries millitary power. Do your homework and look at when the F-117 (being replaced by the Raptor) and B-2 was being developed). I can only dream of what they are developing and FLYING in secret now. Even the F/A-22 started like back in the early 90's.

3 JSF's, Naval (larger wings for carrier take-offs), Marine (VTOL), Air Force (naval version but smaller wings)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Our pilots aren't flying anything in secret right now. All of our test flights are being done by the purple aliens. The green ones aren't very nice, and don't have the skillz that the purple ones do.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blue and purple (mixed) ones are the badest alien pilots in the galaxy!!!!!!!!

They would own us and the PRC like a Honda in a Top Fuel race