Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Pontiac G8 GT vs. BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta side with the G8. Yeah yeah yeah, drove the euros, very-very nice refined automobiles, not cars... but automobiles. My life style is plain american schedule and the abuse the cars take on a daily bases (not sayin the euros can't hold up) just sayin for the price and wear and tear, the G8 cost less with greater value right out of the store, with no tune or mods, just heads up... Parts are cheaper, yeah yeah they are.

Jump in and daily drive it til to the next v8 comes out, maybe a 400hp model or the Chevelle.

I took the ad as "look what I get for the price, why pay so much more with the same features, just less dollars. They didn't say quality or durability either.

I could argue Levi's vs Pollo or Nautica for jeans. Again, I would perfer the Levi's for my life style.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HardBlu
Gotta side with the G8. Yeah yeah yeah, drove the euros, very-very nice refined automobiles, not cars... but automobiles. My life style is plain american schedule and the abuse the cars take on a daily bases (not sayin the euros can't hold up) just sayin for the price and wear and tear, the G8 cost less with greater value right out of the store, with no tune or mods, just heads up... Parts are cheaper, yeah yeah they are.

Jump in and daily drive it til to the next v8 comes out, maybe a 400hp model or the Chevelle.

I took the ad as "look what I get for the price, why pay so much more with the same features, just less dollars. They didn't say quality or durability either.

I could argue Levi's vs Pollo or Nautica for jeans. Again, I would perfer the Levi's for my life style.
Agree

And I have driven BMW's 5 Series for more than a week plus. I lived in Germany for 3 years. I put my American a** lead foot into it. And I am not a luxury guy. Chicks dig trucks where I come from, not BMW's. And I agree with ya alot with knowing alot and making he money, but a motor is a motor. No if and or but about it. Just the names and the parts have different names is all. But that is why we all like different Ice Cream, correct?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reasons while I'll never own a bmw:
99% of the people who own them aren't car enthusiasts. They just bought it because the other snooty badge ****** at work did, or they wanted to be different than their Mercedes-Benz nut-swinging buddies.
I don't care what their quality is or how they're built or even where they're from.(although i am aware of it)
I personally don't like them because i see them all the time and who the hell wants to spend an *** load of money on a car that easily and quickly gets lost in even mild traffic.
Also, they ALL look the same....same with Mercedes-Benz...."omg our new line up!" m-kay...looks the same....again...same grill, same body style....whoopty-doo.

Anyway, just my perspective on it. Also, by no means would i run out and buy a G8.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone here actually work for BMW? Probably not, but my father-in law actually does (for 10 years)he measures all the different gaps in every single area of the car. If the car is a certain percentage of a milimeter off, it goes back. The cars that come out of the Greer assembly plant are the X5, X3, Z4 (for now) and possibly the UGLY X6. When it comes to the instruments used to ensure quality it is better than a G8, but in terms of actual everyday build quality, what you see with your own eye, what you feel with your own butt when you sit in the seat, what you feel with your sweaty hands as you grip the steering wheel, there isn't that much difference in build quality. Don't be fooled by a name. Just because you're willing to pay 15-20 grand more doesn't mean it's 15-20 grand better.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Please tell us how the LSX is better then the M5's engine? The M5 only needs 5L to achieve 500hp where the LS7 needs 7L. Pushrods and displacement are an easy way to make power but i'd much rather displacement and DOHC's. Much more fun
You're kidding right? Ugh, I hate there arguments...
PLEASE PLEASE explain to me in the real world how comparing hp/l of engines will show which is "better"? Put both engines in the same car and which will be quicker, the one with more hp/l or hp/weight?

The LS7 is not only physically smaller, but its lighter (by around 100lbs) than the M5s boat anchor of an engine. To top the icing on the cake, how much can I get a S85B50 for? Or maybe I should ask how many LS7s can I get for that price?
Now, explain how the heavier, physically bigger, more expencive (and less powerful) S85B50 is superior to the LS7???
To even bring this up. In 1999 ford brought out the Cobra R with a 5.4L 4V modular with what 380hp yet it still takes gm more displacement to produce the same amount of horsepower. The only real great thing about pushrod engines are there dimensions compared to there DOHC counterparts.
The Cobra's engine absolutely dwarfs the LSx in size and weight, things that actually matter out of the high school parking lot.
Thats as dumb as saying "Ford needed 520+lbs to make 380hp, yet GM only needs 390lbs to make 405hp (LS6)"
No one needs X displacement to make power, they CHOOSE to use that displacement for a better torque curve and more reliable engine (and cost).
Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You're kidding right? Ugh, I hate there arguments...
PLEASE PLEASE explain to me in the real world how comparing hp/l of engines will show which is "better"? Put both engines in the same car and which will be quicker, the one with more hp/l or hp/weight?

The LS7 is not only physically smaller, but its lighter (by around 100lbs) than the M5s boat anchor of an engine. To top the icing on the cake, how much can I get a S85B50 for? Or maybe I should ask how many LS7s can I get for that price?
Now, explain how the heavier, physically bigger, more expencive (and less powerful) S85B50 is superior to the LS7???
Don't forget about center of gravity too. The LSx engines have a lower CG, which is better for handling (in addition to the lower total weight which helps vehicle balance and overall power to weight ratio).

It's simply a more efficient and elegant engineering solution than the old school overhead cam layout.

No one needs X displacement to make power, they CHOOSE to use that displacement for a better torque curve and more reliable engine (and cost).
Yep. In any race series they always use the largest displacement allowable (assuming all else in terms of induction (boosted or not) being equal). Just like during the war, they made them bigger, rather than spinning them faster - it was cheaper to build and maintain, and lasted longer (more reliable). Things that really matter when lives and victory are on the line. Power per litre was never even remotely considered, nor compared.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mercedes or BMW superior? To what, a Yugo? How did Mercedes' 15K mile oil change interval work out for them a few years ago

I could go on and on about how overrated the Euro cars are in terms of everything. But I'll say that in every German car, no matter what the cost, the electronic throttle control is absolutely horrendous. When I floor the throttle in a 300+HP engine, I want it to respond like any "inferior" GM ETC does. The German cars feel as if the gas pedal is connected to the throttle body with a 200ft long bungee cord.

The only smart Euro car owner is the one who dumps it the second the manufacturers warranty runs out.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JD AMG, Very good points. Great response. the truth sure is great
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

lol, that is quite a funny video, i cant wait to see some g8s arround here.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Mercedes or BMW superior? To what, a Yugo? How did Mercedes' 15K mile oil change interval work out for them a few years ago

the electronic throttle control is absolutely horrendous. When I floor the throttle in a 300+HP engine, I want it to respond like any "inferior" GM ETC does. The German cars feel as if the gas pedal is connected to the throttle body with a 200ft long bungee cord.

The only smart Euro car owner is the one who dumps it the second the manufacturers warranty runs out.
You do realize that Vettes and many other GM cars are drive by wire also right? LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
You do realize that Vettes and many other GM cars are drive by wire also right? LOL
Throttle-by-wire, actually. Drive-by-wire would be like the F-16, where the driver/pilot enters commands and the computer decides if it's ok and implements only what it wants to - complete pilot/control disconnect.

But he was saying that he thinks that the GM "ETC", Electronic Throttle Control, is better than the Euro counterparts.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

What ever names you want to give the system it works on the same principle. You press on a potentiometer and/or a throttle simulator, inputs go to the ECM system and it opens closes the throttle valve depending on other parameters and what traction system is equipt and/or enabled.. So what are you saying the GM computer does a better job at opening and closing the throttle valve? It has a better FEEL?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Calm down buddy. I'm not saying anything. You didn't understand his comment, so I explained it. Talk to him.

He does seem to be talking about feel however. Not all pots are created equal (and if it's a good system, it shouldn't use a pot at all [ideally]), read range, and system response all come into play, including the Stabillitrak system's TCS component as well (which will first cut timing, then pull throttle, then finally apply brakes), but that can be turned off.

I'm not saying he's right, or wrong, just that there certainly can be a big difference depending on the system's design, and what it's hooked up to, as well as explaining his comment (that he specifically stated that the GM vehicles used a similar system but that he apparently felt it was better).
Old 04-03-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Im just a LSX fan boy so yes ill take the g8 .
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I've owned E30s, and E46s. I had a 2000 3 series with 220k miles and it looked and drove brand new, with less then $6k in maintenance costs OVER THE LIFE OF THE CAR!.
My dad had a 84 buick that he bought new and put 220K miles on with only a water pump, alt, tires, brakes, belt and battery. Less then maybe 2K. He did 180K on both a 84 firebird and a 89 camaro as well.

My sister bought a 98 cavalier and went 82K miles with it and only put a clutch in it (first 5spd car), tires and brakes. I then bought it off her and put another 180K on it. I had to put front brakes on it again and another set of tires thats it.

So theres 4 GM cars that went 740K miles for the same money.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by matsarge
The 335i's are no joke. Just add a turbo tuner, Procede, Juice box, etc. and you're pushing 330-340HP and close to 400TQ to the wheels on a dynojet.
The G8's make 305 rwhp stock. For the same money as the above parts you could probably hit 400rwhp.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by sedanman
My dad had a 84 buick that he bought new and put 220K miles on with only a water pump, alt, tires, brakes, belt and battery. Less then maybe 2K. He did 180K on both a 84 firebird and a 89 camaro as well.

My sister bought a 98 cavalier and went 82K miles with it and only put a clutch in it (first 5spd car), tires and brakes. I then bought it off her and put another 180K on it. I had to put front brakes on it again and another set of tires thats it.

So theres 4 GM cars that went 740K miles for the same money.
Sounds like you had a good experience. But thats usually not the norm.

I've had 2 GMC Yukons. A '97, that fell apart after 45k miles. I drove it into the ground @ 150k.

The '03 has 110k on it, and has it's fair share of issues. I had to add dye to the coolant, as I believe the cylinder head is having the infamous 5.3L issue. So it will be time for some heads and gaskets...

My '02 WS6 with 20k is a rattle trap.

I wasn't implying that you COULDN'T make the same power in the GM for approx. the same coin. You can definately get to the 400rwhp mark with ease. But

LOL at the electronic throttle. That's a load of BS. Get in an M car and put it in sport mode. Throttle feel is absolutely instantaneous. Pull it out of sport mode and drive around town with smooth action/driveability.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

we still debating???? G8 lol
Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Plus the G8 is a sexier car imo.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

My '02 WS6 with 20k is a rattle trap.
Change your shock valving, spring rate and ride height, problem solved.
My 01 WS6 has 60,000 miles right now, no rattles, only noises are the rear bushings squeak when cold.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 GT vs. BMW 550i