Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Supersucker extension scoop w/FTRA

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supersucker extension scoop w/FTRA

I recently purchased one of these pieces from Leon, and I have to say fitment very poor. Interference w/lower portion of FTRA where 2 outside bolts and wingnuts forced trimming. Also, piece had to be trimmed where interfered w/ hoodlatch bracing. Also, plate sent w/piece to cover void at hoodlatch brace could not be used at all, due to being unable to install holding screws in a completely unaccessable area. It's on the car, but I'm very unhappy w/fitment...For $79.95, plus $12 shipping for a 1lb. piece, it should've been fabbed up properly......
Old 10-26-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem. You can not use this with FTRA's extension. Is this where you had a problem? On my friends car with FTRA there was no clearance problem with wingnuts. He doesn't have the extension. I'll run over to his house and check out your concerns.
Al
Old 10-26-2003, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

I installed the extension on my FTRA and it was easy; a lot easier than installing the FTRA lower unit. You just remove the FTRA lower unit, Slip the SSRA extension in place, screw the extension into the bumper, seal the exposed area by the hood hinge and it's done. No modification is neccessary. Can you post pictures?
Old 10-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Teching In

sorry to just post crazy things but what is FTRA? i am new to the f bodies, and i just need to hear the acronyms a couple times and i am set lol thanks
Old 10-27-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FTRA--------> http://www.fasttoys.net/9398fbodyinduc.html
Old 10-27-2003, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Ah, Leon's instructions said nothing about removing lower portion of my FTRA. I just slid it up inside FTRA's lower portion. If I remove FTRA lower portion, what holds the FTRA in place on the bottom end? Just those little wood screws they send to fasten the scoop to my plastic bumper cover? First time you scrape the scoop on something, or tap a parking space curb stop, it'll probably tear those little screws right out and drive the FTRA unit into the radiator! Removing lower portion of FTRA takes all strength out of the unit....Now that I've carved the thing up for lack of clear instructions, it's practically usless....What now? WJ.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

It slides right into the upper half very snug. My car is lowered 1.5 inches with no problems scraping; if anything the lower air dam wil scrape first. You just have to be aware it's there and it doesn't hang that low anyway.

How bad did you hack it up?

Last edited by BLKTA; 10-27-2003 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I cut two 1&1/2 inch pieces out on either end where it contacted outside wing nuts. Middle wing nut not affected. Also, I had to cut area deeper where it made contact near top of hoodlatch brace, so that scoop would go far enough into FTRA, so that the 5 screws would be going into flat portion of my bumper cover. I cannot use that little block-off plate at all to cover up the void in the hoodlatch area, probably because of the lower extension of the FTRA still being there......Why the directions didn't include the fact that the lower portion of the FTRA has to be removed is what made me think it was incorrectly fabbed up; There fore I started cutting to make it fit. Also, the void at hoodlatch area is still there......I have no trouble following directions--if they are included w/the piece I bought. WJ.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Al, I sent you mail regarding lack of proper instructions for installing your product on a F body LS1 car equipped w/FTRA.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WJ 99 SS
Al, I sent you mail regarding lack of proper instructions for installing your product on a F body LS1 car equipped w/FTRA.
WJ 99 SS, The last line on the one page of directions gives you my phone number. I wish you would of called with your questions before cutting up the scoop. I thought that it would be obvious that you couldn't use the scoop with the extension. I was wrong to assume this. Future directions will address this.

The reason for the scoop is to allow air to pass over the radiator that the FTRA extension covers up, and to better channel air into the FTRA/SLP/Whisper Ram Air kit. The plate that comes with it would be impossible to install with the extension.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WJ 99 SS
Here's the PM WJ 99 SS sent me. I will delete his name, address, and number.

Hi Al. Now that I know that the lower part of the FTRA has to be removed to properly install your product, how about me send the one I had to cut up to make fit my '02 SS back to you in trade for another? Does that sound fair to you? Please get back. I feel I have one of the faster A4 stock motor, stock exhaust manifolds, cars around. 12.32, 110.3, 1.67 sixty consistently. I sure would like to say your product is one of the reasons why.... Thanks & get back. WJ.

It's up to you people. If you say I should exchange it I will, or do you think he should of called me. What do you all say.

Sorry I posted your PM WJ 99 SS, but I kind of feel you should of contacted LM Performance or me before making this post.

So what do you people think? Should I send him a new one? Here's a copy of the directions.

Directions For Super Sucker Scoop

Included in this kit:
Super Sucker Scoop
Five screws

1. Remove the two screws holding on the plate.

2. From underneath the car, slide the scoop into your cold air induction box. Be sure to slide it all the way in.

3. Make sure it’s centered with the front of your car.

4. Screw in the five screws into your bumper to attach.

5. Install plate. This is to bridge the opening that is created by your cold air induction kit, and the hood latch brace.

Tips:

Take driveways at an angle and speed bumps slow to prevent damage to the Super Sucker scoop.

Do not drive through deep water.

Austin Performance Inc assumes no responsibility for damage to your car from improper use. Use at your own risk.

If you have any questions call 651-214-7042
Old 10-27-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1le02
Here's the PM WJ 99 SS sent me. I will delete his name, address, and number
I thought PM stood for Private Message. I think you should have taken care of your customer privately instead of asking a public forum how to run your business.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with 2xLS1. It doesnt show customer service to have other people tell you how to run your business. If you are going to sell a product that has a defect, it is up to you whether you want to fix it or let him pay for the mistake, but dont ask for help in your decision.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

I made my own Ram air plate deflecter
Old 10-28-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Trojan T/A
I'm with 2xLS1. It doesnt show customer service to have other people tell you how to run your business. If you are going to sell a product that has a defect, it is up to you whether you want to fix it or let him pay for the mistake, but dont ask for help in your decision.
But you see my product doesn't have a defect. If he would've called me when he ran into a problem we wouldn't be having this discussion, instead he came on this forum saying that my product wasn't designed well.

BTW, I have excellent customer service.

He bought this from LM Performance. I will call Leon at LM Performance to see if he has been contacted about WS 99 SS' problem on installing the scoop.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An unforseen problem in the instructions is still a defect even if you have your phone number down for questions. Luckily its an easy fix that takes 2 seconds on your instructions page. From what I hear, that may be the only flaw as this product has worked very well for many people with few known problems. Since you didnt sell him the product and he did modify it, then you have no duty to give him a refund or an exchange. I was just saying that whatever you do, I support your decision, but dont leave it in the hands of mob rule. Although I think it would be good if you asked them if I should get a free SSRA for giving you a hard time
Old 10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

I think I know why the producer(ss1le02) did the poll. After reading all of WS 99 SS posts I've come up the feeling that the guy is trying to get a new scoop after he f*cked up his.

1. He comes on here posting that the product is defective. Before he did this he should of called where he bought it or the number provided.
2. He says he can read directions. If he would of read the directions he would of called the number when he had a problem.
3. It's pretty obvious that you can't use the extension and the scoop at the same time. I mean !!!!!DUH!!!!
4. He tells everyone that he sent a Private Message to the producer.
5. In the Private Message he is basically black mailing the producer to send him a new one on the promise that he'll say good things about the scoop.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Makes no difference to me whether or not I get a new scoop. All I'm trying to point out is that the supplied instructions say nothing about removing the lower portion of the FTRA unit to install this piece. Also, I installed the unit on last Sat. evening getting ready for a next day trip to the track. And, the scoop DOES slide right into the lower FTRA piece. So the "DUH" is totally uncalled for. The first thing Al said when I pm'ed him was: "The scoop cannot be used with the FTRA lower portion installed." Well, why don't the instructions say that? The piece probably works well, but as I said, removing the lower portion of the FTRA, takes away from it's structural integerity. With the scoop installed, those 5 little screws into the plastic bumper cover are all that keeps the piece off the radiator. Lastly, I have not contacted Leon. He just supplied the piece. I contacted Al via PM. He has chosen to involve the people on this board to throw in their .02 worth, rather than PM me back. If that's the way he chooses to do business, so be it....and I'm not looking for something for nothing.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Sponsor

Hello Everyone,

No one called us regarding the installation of this product, if we would have received a call then it would have taken about 2 secs. to explain that the FTRA scoop needs to come off first. Sorry for the delay in posting a response but this was the first I have heard of this... BTW, we would not sell a product that does not work. Sorry for your troubles about the install but, a call really could have solved any confusion.

Thanks,
LMPerformance
Old 10-28-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Like I said in a earlier post, it was being installed on last Sat. evening--not during your business hours, so a call wouldn't have gotten me a answer at that time--but including proper install instructions for use w/FTRA setup WITH THE SHIPPED PIECE would've explained that the lower portion of FTRA has to be removed in order to install your product, no? Don't assume any responsibility for lack of proper instructions? Fine.

Quick Reply: Supersucker extension scoop w/FTRA