Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all I have to say is there isnt any damage to that turbo IMHO. The surface scratches are completelly normal for new turbos. IMHO, its the buyers responsibilty to get it checked out, since he says there is "damage" to the unit. perhaps after PTE came back with something saying there was damage, then he could file a UPS claim........ untill then, i think everyone is wasting breathe......
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bottom line the guy who packaged it up and got lazy, or did not know how to package that up, or the seller asked for the cheap approach. Turbos are heavy, and most folks at UPS will just drag the box around, nobody is going to carry it like it's filled with Swarovski crystal. Do the right thing and pay for any repairs. I have bought a $2000 turbo before and I'd be acting just like Phildo.

Please don't imply something that you have NO EARTHLY idea about! That's ignorance. It's a $1600 turbo! I would not have ever told the guy that packaged it to take the cheap approach. It might be a difference a 10bucks. I haven't heard any updates as to what's going on...
Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Bottom line the guy who packaged it up and got lazy, or did not know how to package that up, or the seller asked for the cheap approach. Turbos are heavy, and most folks at UPS will just drag the box around, nobody is going to carry it like it's filled with Swarovski crystal. Do the right thing and pay for any repairs. I have bought a $2000 turbo before and I'd be acting just like Phildo.

he has already offered to do so, afterall, he paid for insurance for just that reason... phildo needs to get it checked out. if it checks out fine, why should the seller have to pay to have it checked out?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
guess thats your opinion as to weather my example was a good one or not. guess you know what they say about opinions....... bet if it was up to you no seller on here should be held accountable for anything that happens.

if it was sold as new it should be ok to expect it to arrive that way.

you gonna tell PSJ that he dosent know what he is talking about too?

if he's wrong, yes i will...but his last post i dont disagree with him, if it needs repair, the seller should go after UPS for the money to get it repaired. simple as that. thats what insurance is for. if someone rearends you, do you demand they pay for it out of their pocket, or do you allow their insurance to pay for it like he/she paid to have on their vehicle.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKKINU
if he's wrong, yes i will...but his last post i dont disagree with him, if it needs repair, the seller should go after UPS for the money to get it repaired. simple as that. thats what insurance is for. if someone rearends you, do you demand they pay for it out of their pocket, or do you allow their insurance to pay for it like he/she paid to have on their vehicle.
Of course they'd have to pay it out of their own pocket!!! They're the one that picked the insurance company and they're the one that paid them!!...lol...heck, they should reimburse you for the car so you can buy a new one!!! but oh wait, that's what insurance is for!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oufan2929
Please don't imply something that you have NO EARTHLY idea about! That's ignorance. It's a $1600 turbo! I would not have ever told the guy that packaged it to take the cheap approach. It might be a difference a 10bucks. I haven't heard any updates as to what's going on...
Did you take the pictures to the packaging company? You stated you were going to see what they would do. What are they going to do? No one has communicated with me on there end. I want to see how they would like us to handle it.

To everyone that keeps stating I should have to pay for a inspection "get bent!" As far as I am concerned we would not be fighting about inspection cost if it was packaged right. END OF STORY.

I will be sending it out for inspection after I get the new pipes done. Whether he wants to pay or not. I am not rushing now. My time deadline is already blown.

From now on when I ship something I will throw it in a sack, wire tie it, put insurance on it , and forget about it. After all it's the buyers responsibility after it's shipped. "That's what insurance is for"

Last edited by phildo; 10-29-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

oufan, for the third time, when you ship something like that, a 60 lb bowling ball, it will beat up the box very quickly. Hence folks packing the turbos inside one box and then putting that box in a bigger box, or some folks use cardboard and brace the turbo inside the box.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by phildo
To everyone that keeps stating I should have to pay for a inspection "get bent!" As far as I am concerned we would not be fighting about inspection cost if it was packaged right. END OF STORY.
OUfan paid someone to package it, the resulting package isn't his responsibility, it is the responsibility of the packager. The turbo obviously made it to you in 1 piece, and you are the one questioning whether it was OK or not. Therefore if you want it checked the financial obligation is yours, period. If you had specifications on the packaging of the item, you should have communicated them to OUfan prior to shipping. The pics you posted only show surface scratching. Have you even taken off the housings to see if the wheels were intact? If not.. there is really nothing to be said or argued until, the fact of whether or not the turbo has been damaged is determined.. END OF STORY.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Timbo1969
OUfan paid someone to package it, the resulting package isn't his responsibility, it is the responsibility of the packager.
How can you honestly say this? The shipper is the one that decides who and how they are going to ship a package. For something fragile like a turbo, the shipper should either package it himself or make sure its done correctly. Everyone here is acting like the surface scratches are the problem, when they have nothing to do with anything. A turbo is a very precisely engineered unit that has clearances that are so minute its impossible to know if its damaged by looking at it or spinning it by hand. Now once you add thousands of rpm's to the shaft, any small defect is quickly going to destroy itself and probably the motor as well. It has happened here many times.

So if you paid a person $5 to ship the turbo, its no longer your responsibility and now there responsibility solely? I dont think so, its your decision to take it to ups, fedex, dhl, and its your responsibility to either package it correctly or pay to have it packaged correctly. And if its not packed correctly in either case its the sellers fault plain and simple.

I buy and sell a ton of stuff and i would never let anyone box up my items as everyone knows what happens to things in shipping. Especially with a $1600 item, thats crazy to drop it off at UPS and tell them to pack it like its anything else they pack all day long, turbos should always be double boxed and packaged very tightly as they are not something you want to have come apart on you.

When you pay UPS to package something you are technically hiring them to work for you, and what they do is still your responsibility.

I think its only fair that Oufan pays to have the turbo checked out, if its fine then great, a lesson is learned by oufan and everyone else and the day goes on, If its not ok, then oufan collects insurance and pays phildo. Very simple. Tim
Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Banned

I personally find it funny how tim (smokin87ta)is always ragging on people in the "scammers, fraud" area, and yet if you look at his trader rating half of the positives were from advertising while he wasnt a sponsor, so maybe we should post a thread about how he ripped ls1tech and how it was his RESPONSIBILITY SOLELY to pay ls1tech to advertise his business, hmmm... i smell unfair treatment from the moderators to tim, i mean if anyone else would have gotten half the business he generated while not paying for sponsorship they would have been banned, restricted, and the feedback taken away, not Tim though, hrmm... doesnt seem right to me for you to badmouth others when you yourself have done just as bad if not worse, just my .02
Old 10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Restricted User

well said Smokin87ta. but you better get ready for some of those flames that keep comin when you/we think this way. props to ya tho bro.....
Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 99NbmFirebird
I personally find it funny how tim (smokin87ta)is always ragging on people in the "scammers, fraud" area, and yet if you look at his trader rating half of the positives were from advertising while he wasnt a sponsor, so maybe we should post a thread about how he ripped ls1tech and how it was his RESPONSIBILITY SOLELY to pay ls1tech to advertise his business, hmmm... i smell unfair treatment from the moderators to tim, i mean if anyone else would have gotten half the business he generated while not paying for sponsorship they would have been banned, restricted, and the feedback taken away, not Tim though, hrmm... doesnt seem right to me for you to badmouth others when you yourself have done just as bad if not worse, just my .02
I was a paid sponsor here for 6 months, i have not advertised once here since i stopped becoming a sponsor. I have not sold or bought items here that would require a sponsorship. And if you look at previous posts saying that i am a good ported ect i always tell people to contact NewEra who is a sponsor here. Dont hijack this thread for info that is incorrect. Yea this is just one of my posts, how is this advertising in any way?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post7979582

Ricky, i just realized that you made a new name here, So you scam someone out of $300, you make a new name and now you think you have the right to bad mouth me here. You aka Ricks99ls1 are a scumbag, i used to consider you as a good guy, a friend, and you lied to me and made me look bad for sticking up for you. I am not going to stick up for anyone that commits fraud, i dont car who you are, friend or not. Tech is a great site of car enthusiasts trying to help each other out and not scam and take advantage of others. You cant just make a new name and think that your going to get away with scamming people here.

Last edited by Smokin87TA; 10-29-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Banned

lol keep using this as a way to endorse your little business, lol i think youve scammed alot more than 300, and sure 6 months a sponsor but what about the rest of the sales? Nineball even said you were soliciting business as a non sponsor
Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Banned

Which is why you were set as a restricted user, however because your in kahoots with pro stock john he got you out of hott water
Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokin87TA

I think its only fair that Oufan pays to have the turbo checked out, if its fine then great, a lesson is learned by oufan and everyone else and the day goes on, If its not ok, then oufan collects insurance and pays phildo. Very simple. Tim
You must be joking.. It is in no way OUFan's problem. He is not a business and didn't advertise any type of guaranty on the item. The idea that OUfan should have to pay for the inspection of the turbo is absolutely ludicrous. It's Caveat Emptor when dealing with anyone online. If Phildo had certain expectations on the packaging, then he should have communicated them prior to the subsequent purchase and shipping. OUfan paid an individual who packages items for a living to package the item.. Wait a minute we don't even know if there is any damage to the turbo, so this is a moot arguement and Phildo has no complaint unless the turbo is damaged. Therefore since HE is the one in doubt HE should pay to get it checked, once damage is determined then an amicable settlement between parties can be negotiated.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Restricted User

timbo keeps saying that its basically a roll of the dice when buying a part from someone on line. that if there is no guarantee implied, even if its advertised as a new part, you get what you get. well i undersatnd that this forum is online, but as i posted earlier, i have never bought or sold a part on this forum , had a problem and the seller or myself not take care of that problem. i thought we were all supposed to be a bunch of folks that were kinda/sorta all about cars. this isnt ebay, its ls1tech.

Last edited by WS6nJAX; 10-30-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
i thought we were all supposed to be a bunch of folks that were kinda/sorta all about cars. this isnt ebay, its ls1tech.
This is a great line and is exactly what i was talking about. Tech is a place where everyone is a car enthusiast and share the same basic passion for a certain type of car. People are here to help each other out and learn new things.

As a person who ships alot of items i totally feel its the sellers responsibility to package things according to what they require. I would never ship something that is not packaged correctly. It is the SELLERS responsibility to make sure it gets to the buyer safely and correctly. When the buyer pays for something to be shipped to him he is paying for the item in the current condition before shipping to be shipped carefully and arrive in his possession the way it was when the item was sold.

Say you buy something brand new from Speed Inc, do you think as soon as they ship it they dont care if you get it in the same form as when shipped? No. If you buy something new, it should arrive new and the quality should not be tainted in any way.

A heavy turbo in the middle of a box filled with peanuts is not acceptable in any way. I bet by the time the turbo rolled around, that boxed was open there was probably half the amount of peanuts needed since the turbo smashed them. Plus peanuts are a space filler and in no way would keep the turbo from moving to the side of the box, with nothing protecting it.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion but some of the comments here are a little far fetched. Tim
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Timbo1969
You must be joking.. It is in no way OUFan's problem. He is not a business and didn't advertise any type of guaranty on the item. The idea that OUfan should have to pay for the inspection of the turbo is absolutely ludicrous. It's Caveat Emptor when dealing with anyone online. If Phildo had certain expectations on the packaging, then he should have communicated them prior to the subsequent purchase and shipping. OUfan paid an individual who packages items for a living to package the item.. Wait a minute we don't even know if there is any damage to the turbo, so this is a moot arguement and Phildo has no complaint unless the turbo is damaged. Therefore since HE is the one in doubt HE should pay to get it checked, once damage is determined then an amicable settlement between parties can be negotiated.
Thanks I think we all are a little dumber after these comments.
That is just absurd. I have to specify that I want it packaged correctly?

Next time I buy something I will make sure to specify "without damage please".

I am simple shocked at the amount of members on here that feel packaging is not the shippers responsibility. This is a real eye opener to people who buy on here. The money saved on a used part may not be worth it....
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phildo
Did you take the pictures to the packaging company?."

Last I heard they were going to contact you. I will go by there again to see what the latest is. Feel free to send it to inspection if you need to. That might give us something to leverage w/ups if there is a problem. Just make sure to keep the packaging etc. However, the ups guy did say just to keep everything exactly how it was so they can send an adjuster out to look everything over. He'll then probably tell you send it off for an inspection.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Smokin87TA
I buy and sell a ton of stuff and i would never let anyone box up my items as everyone knows what happens to things in shipping. Especially with a $1600 item, thats crazy to drop it off at UPS and tell them to pack it like its anything else they pack all day long, turbos should always be double boxed and packaged very tightly as they are not something you want to have come apart on you.
Tim
I've bought and sold things far more expensive and sensitive than that turbo. I've dropped it off at the same place and they boxed it and I've never had a problem. I didn't tell them to package it like they do everything else, I was very specific and told him to make it very strong! He said it was, and I went about my day trusting the guy wearing the UPS shirt w/a UPS nametag, and a UPS hat, that provided me w/$1600 in UPS insurance! It was a UPS store! If you weren't so ignorant, you would have read this probably 10 times by now in prior posts. You're just talking like that for sake of argument!

Quick Reply: Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in