Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in

Bought a turbo from a member on here and it was boxed in a huge box with nothing but peanuts in it. Well needless to say it came through the box in numerous places and has cosmetic damage. As for mechanical damage I am not sure. I am afraid to run it in case there is damage I don't want to destroy it. The turbo is new but I don't want to get stuck eating repairs on it if somthing happens down the road.

The member paid a UPS store to package it. He wants me to go after the UPS store. I say it is not my problem and to refund my money and he deals with them. I bought this new turbo from him because of the wait time from the manufacturer. I need it now.
How should this be handled? Am I wrong in thinking it was his responsibility to get it packaged correctly?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

I'd go after both of them. What brand is the turbo?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'd go after both of them. What brand is the turbo?
It is a F.I. S88.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your right. Its his responsibility to get you the item you bought in the condition you bought it in. However, If UPS packaged it they WILL pay to have it fixed. UPS is real good on fixing stuff like that.

did he tell UPS what the value is?
did he buy shipping insurance?

contact UPS first.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He must make the claim with UPS for it because he shipped it and either bought or didn't buy insurance on it. It is his responsibility to take care of this.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had some lights I sent out get damaged by ups (***********). They will only credit the shipper so you need to get your money back from him and let him deal with it. If you call ups they will come pick it up to inspect it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not tech related, member to member issue. Handle accordingly.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Scammer Alert!

Phildo, where about in mchenry are you, i live in richmond/spring grove, not to far from you,
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm the one that sent him the turbo. I took it to a reputable UPS store locally and a guy that's been working there for a long time is who I dealt with. Initially I had a new chick working w/me and he came over to intercede knowing that I deal in expensive car parts from time to time. He took the turbo to the back and told me it'd be ready in 10minutes so I patiently waited despite not having the spare time. He brought it up, put it on the measuring table and then sat it on the ground. I asked him if he made sure it was sturdy and he told me multiple times he had put it in a 200lb/in box (or something along those lines). Well he does this for a living everyday so I didn't second guess his "expertise". He sent off items for me before w/out 1 problem.And w/out talking to phildo, I went ahead and covered shipping insurance which was not cheap, but I wanted to make sure everything on my part was taken care of. I'm not a professional shipper, I left it in the hands of a professional shipper. Needless to say I'm not going there again. I've already told phildo that if he'd send me pictures of everything I'd take it up to that store and see what we can do. He replied back hastely that that's unacceptable and threatened me w/negative feedback etc. How am I supposed to know for sure that it's even really messed up? Hopefully he'll post some pics or send them to me so I can get things resolved. He's being a little irrational. Threatening me and saying it's my fault and demanding his money back is a little over the top considering I've already told him I'd do what I can on my part...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ups store is not part of ups, the ups store is a licensed franchise store, and ups will not pay for something that dosnt meet there packaging guidlines,
Old 10-20-2007, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

so why not have send you the turbo back, you refund him

and you go after ups?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have been trying to work this out with him privately and only posted this thread to get opinions. I guess he figure he would try and safe face and come on here to make himself look good. I was going to leave names out of it for now.
I was in a time crunch so I bought his turbo. It came to me in a huge box with only peanuts in it. The turbo came threw the box at numerous points. Like I said above there is cosmetic damage to it but I am not sure about mechanical until I run it. Then if it fails what is my recourse at that point? I have to try and come back at him a month or 2 later to blame failure on shipping damage? I requested a refund and for him to deal with shipping it to the manufacturer for inspection. This thing could be tied up for months because of something that is not my fault.
I tried to get help from the seller but he told me it was not his fault and he could get me the phone # to the company that packaged it. They will not deal with me! I explained this to him and still got the same attitude and apologized for MY misfortune! So at this point I have no choice but to warn others and leave a neg. feedback. I have been down this road before. Once the argueing starts nothing gets accomplished but insults. If I wanted I could post the pm's and continue this thread for the next 2 months. It is just a shame that this is the mentality of a lot of the sellers on here.They get there money and wash there hands of it.
Even worse is he is going to leave neg feedback for me and I completely fullfilled my end perfectly. What a crock!
I just sold a turbo and I double boxed it AND paid 4 the insurance out of my own pocket. When it arrives if there is as problem you better beleive I am going to make it right.

I guess I will gamble and run it. I will just have to chalk this up to another lesson learned. Never buy from someone with a neg. feedback.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:57 AM
On The Tree

Please feel free to post up any and all PM's we've shared. Make sure to post the stuff you've been sending me as well! I told you several times now to send me pics and I will take it up to the people that shipped it and help get this sorted out. It's absolutely not my fault that they shipped it wrong! I've sent HRE wheels through them before for a viper and had ZERO issues! I sent a DTE diff. for a vette through them and had ZERO issues. So I figured I didn't have anything to be worried about. If I packaged it, I would have stood behind it! I've offered to help, I just haven't been willing to do EXACTLY what you want me to do, so you're whining about it to everyone! That's not going to get you very far w/me! Send me some pics (for the 4th time!). You can't even prove anything to me until I see pics. Heck, at this point, you may just have buyer's remorse for all I know. You're not being very rational about this whole thing! And as far as my negative feedback from a LONG time ago! Those heads I sold that guy were 100% legitimate! I made 440rwhp back when 450rwhp was the highest anyone got w/a conservative cam and stock bottom end! I sat there and watched them get flowed! I ended up giving that guy part of his money back despite him being wrong about the flow numbers! The only reason I don't have a high trader rating on this forum is because I've never had an F-body until this year, so I'm never on here! I have TONS of people on other forums that would vouge for my character!

Last edited by oufan2929; 10-21-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Geez OU you have to file a claim at that UPS Store, how hard is that. I'd be all up your *** too if I had bought an expensive turbo that was damaged from packaging. Focus on fixing this situation rather than getting upset that the buyer is on you about this. That UPS guys did a crap job of packaging it, you need to BRACE the turbo with extra cardboard, or box it in another box and peanuts around it. This screwup is the same as you put brakes in a box, they just knock around and around and around until they start beating the box apart.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Restricted User

i work for ups and there will be NO RESTITUTION made to the consignee. any payment that is made will paid directly to the shipper. either of you can report the damage/claim, but they will only deal with the shipper.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...ims/index.html
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks John. I have been trying but this is the kind of PM's I get
I'm sorry, there's absolutely no way it's my responsibility!!! This guy does it for a living. You can call them and deal with them. He told me multiple times that it was good to go. He's been working there for years that I've seen him and he's shipped countless car items for me! If I would have boxed it myself, I would stand behind it and give you a refund. I do not feel any obligation to take care of this. I went above and beyond when I paid out of my own pocket for the shipping insurance! I definitely didn't have to spend the extra money. Being that I'm the "easiest" to point the finer at I can understand you want me to take care of it, however I DIDN'T box it for ship it. UPS should be responsible for abusing the package if anything! 2nd in line would be the UPS dealer that boxed it! Again, I can get you their phone number, but I'm not taking responsibility for a UPS store not doing their job!!! Sorry for your misfortune!
Not until 2nd to the last pm did he even request for a picture. Here are some pictures

He knew I was getting this from him because I was in a time crunch. So rather than wait 3wks for one from the manufacturer, I bought his. I figured he may help buy poss refunding my money or at the very least take care of it with the packaging company but instead he send me these B.S. PM's saying sorry for my misfortune! So of course I started to bug him. Then he gets this attitude like he is doing me a favor for helping me and if I don't loose my attitude he will not do anything. He is obligated as the seller to take care of this in a timely manor. When I get PM's like the one above you bet I will give attitude. I was very nice until my last pm today. Which I got a little nasty after he called me a ***** and acted like he has the upper hand. Like I said above I guess I will run it and pray. I will just leave neg. feedback and poss dispute this with Paypal. If he even dares to leave me neg feedback I will contact a moderator.

Oh, and I am not having buyers remorse. I need a turbo. End of story. If you have another new one than let's get it packaged correctly this time and exchange it. Otherwise, get me money and I will go elsewhere. There is no way I should be punished for your goof up.

The box and turbo look more beat up in person but you get the drift. I just don't want to wind up like the guy in this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=793225
At least there he had the manufacturer step up after he ran it and it failed. Who do I go to? I really don't like taking $1600 gambles.

I personally feel he did not put insurance on it. There is a signature required on anything insured for over $1000. I never signed anything.

Last edited by phildo; 10-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I sent this well more than two pm's ago, and then your replied hastely not even listening to what I said!

Originally Posted by oufan2929
And since I paid for the services, I will gladly go talk to the company if I need to btw! I never picked up the package because it was behind the counter and they do that ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I had zero reason to believe it would have any problem on top of paying for insurance! Send me some pics and I will take it to them and let them pay for their bad job

Phildo...

To be frank your attitude towards this sucks! If you would have at least took the time to call UPS or the UPS store you would know they only deal with the sender. So even they know it is the SENDERS responsibility to make sure it is packaged right. I understand you paid someone to box it and I get where you are coming from with that. However, it is still your responsibility as a seller to get it packaged correctly whether you pay someone or not. I could pay someone to rob a bank for me but that doesn't mean when he gets caught I wouldn't be held accountable for my auctions.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

I personally feel he did not put insurance on it. There is a signature required on anything insured for over $1000. I never signed anything.[

I have the receipt right here in front of me and I scanned it but the file size is too big for this forum. I insured it for $1600 I assure you!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I sent this well more than two pm's ago, and then your replied hastely not even listening to what I said!

And since I paid for the services, I will gladly go talk to the company if I need to btw! I never picked up the package because it was behind the counter and they do that ALL DAY EVERY DAY. I had zero reason to believe it would have any problem on top of paying for insurance! Send me some pics and I will take it to them and let them pay for their bad job

Phildo...

To be frank your attitude towards this sucks! If you would have at least took the time to call UPS or the UPS store you would know they only deal with the sender. So even they know it is the SENDERS responsibility to make sure it is packaged right. I understand you paid someone to box it and I get where you are coming from with that. However, it is still your responsibility as a seller to get it packaged correctly whether you pay someone or not. I could pay someone to rob a bank for me but that doesn't mean when he gets caught I wouldn't be held accountable for my auctions.
I can mix, match, and edit PM.s as needed also. Pictures are posted. So like I told you in the pm's " Whatcha gonna do?" There are no excuses now. I suppose in your eyes I should have to just wait without a car while all this gets sorted out? This is not my fault. I did not package it nor did I pick the people who did. This is your problem not mine.

The best part of this is if you would have been sincere and tried to help I would have tried to run it. But I clearly can not trust you to stand behind it if it did fail in 2 weeks so I will just pursue this.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by phildo

He knew I was getting this from him because I was in a time crunch. So rather than wait 3wks for one from the manufacturer, I bought his. I figured he may help buy poss refunding my money or at the very least take care of it with the packaging company but instead he send me these B.S. PM's saying sorry for my misfortune! So of course I started to bug him. Then he gets this attitude like he is doing me a favor for helping me and if I don't loose my attitude he will not do anything. He is obligated as the seller to take care of this in a timely manor. When I get PM's like the one above you bet I will give attitude. I was very nice until my last pm today. Which I got a little nasty after he called me a ***** and acted like he has the upper hand. Like I said above I guess I will run it and pray. I will just leave neg. feedback and poss dispute this with Paypal. If he even dares to leave me neg feedback I will contact a moderator.

I had absolutely no idea you were in a time crunch, you never mentioned that to me at all, but I did save your $300+shipping and 3 weeks of waiting!

I did offer multiple times to take pictures up to the shipping company and take care of it for you. Then you say that's unacceptable and you want your money back.

And yes, I was sorry for your misfortune! After you acting like a whining 5 year old, I do feel like I was doing you a favor by helping you, however I'm still offering to help you despite your threats etc.!

Feel free to contact a moderator, I have done nothing wrong! I've offered to help multiple times. Your turbo looks like it could be buffed out by hand anyways! I've seen much worse than that in pics and in peoples cars running them!

Quick Reply: Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in