Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phildo
Thanks to everyone that is trying to help! At this point I am tired of going back and forth. So here are the options as I see them.

- refund money/return turbo

- Send it in to get inspected and cleared or repaired for service.

He has made it clear no refunds. So let's send it in to get checked out. I will take care of the expense of getting it boxed up (properly) and he can pay the shipping. This sounds fair. If there is a issue with it then we can file the claim to UPS. I have already suggested this along with others but he has gone to UPS first and not replied to me. I have got upset because there is no compromise with him. He just wants UPS to take care of it.

People have been stressing over scratches. I can car less about scratches as I have said before. The point of this is it was obviousy slammed around and I don't know if it took some internal damage. Why should I gamble on running it and possible destroying my motor along with the turbo?

It should go back for inspection at his cost. I had nothing to do with the packaging.

To the people saying I didn't give him packaging instructions, "are you serious?" We are adults here do I really need to give instructions on how to package something? I just shipped a turbo and other than him requesting insurance I made sure it was packaged good enough for transit. UPS recommends that it withstand a 3' fall.

Also I did pay for the shipping. It was part of our arrangement. $1625 shipped. So I am not quite sure where this " I paid out of my own pocket" stuff is coming from. As for making sure the insurance was on it, I just assumed no one would ship a $1600 item with no insurance. If something happen with no insurance it would fall on the seller. So it is just covering his own ***. At least thats the way I see it and have always made sure it was on there when I ship stuff. If I was at fault for anything as far as shipping it was that I did not specify to get insurance. I just assumed. Lesson learned.
I'm tired of the situation too! I personally do not feel obligated to refund money based on you being paranoid. There is no concrete evidence that the turbo has anything wrong w/it. So giving you your money back out of my own pocket doesn't seem practical.

You can send it off to get inspected. I'm more than happy for you to do so! And if there is a problem w/the turbo, I am told UPS will no doubt approve the repair bill. However that's you being paranoid, so I don't even feel like I should pay for the shipping to get it there, but if I ABSOLUTELY MUST, then I can. Trust me, as my friends have backed me on being trustworthy, if I was the one that would have packaged it and you had issues, I would have gladly refunded your money or had any problems fixed! The reason I haven't been compromising is, we had this issue over a weekend! I didn't want to do anything or agree to anything until I knew exactly what we needed to do as far as UPS is concerned. I didn't want to agree to ship it off to find out UPS isn't going to do anything and you're just wasting time/money. According to the guy at UPS, they will be sending out an adjuster to look at the claim. It is then you can explain to them the possibility of the internals having an issue. Sure it sucks, waiting for anything sucks, but that's part of the mod world, and you were gauranteed to wait 3 weeks anyways from FI and would have paid full retail. The only reason I raised any Hell on the situation is because you attacked my character and that's something I would never compromise! My character is worth far more than $1600! If I had no character, I wouldn't have gotten insurance, I wouldn't have gone directly to UPS the first chance I had (with pics), I would have just said 'screw you'! So with that being said, I guess we'll see what UPS does in the next few days and then go from there. And as said in an earlier post, we can take this as a lesson learned...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

At this point "it is what it is". I still feel It is your responsibility to pay to have it checked out. I will have to wait to see. I would think UPS would have no problem shipping it for free. Not like they are out any money.

I never attacked your character. I didn't even bring your name into it. I simply stated the facts and asked for opinions. That is where you jumped the gun.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

At this point "it is what it is". I still feel It is your responsibility to pay to have it checked out. I will have to wait to see. I would think UPS would have no problem shipping it for free. Not like they are out any money.

I never attacked your character. I didn't even bring your name into it. I simply stated the facts and asked for opinions. That is where you jumped the gun.
"As long as you got your money is all you care about." That's the first of many quotes I could find. I can post them all if you like!

I'm sure UPS will take care of the whole situation. After all, I paid them to!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the unit was inspected and cleared there would not be a problem, correct? It's my opinion that in order to save a little face why don't you guys agree to split the cost of an inspection? That would be a small price to pay to get this resolved, clear the unit for use, and maintain the integrity of both parties. Or, find the unit damaged beyond use and file the claim with UPS to get it fixed like OUfan said they would repair it. You guys can resolve this without pulling a debate of character into it, but fwiw oufan is one of the most stand up guys I've known over the last few years, and I'm sure there are plenty of people up north that feel the same way about Phildo. So, that should make it easier to get this resolved.

That comment about Oklahoma was rediculous, and wasn't part of any solution to this problem. In fact instigated negative remarks adding to the problem. Pretty stupid... Now work this out...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks to everyone that is trying to help! At this point I am tired of going back and forth. So here are the options as I see them.

- refund money/return turbo

- Send it in to get inspected and cleared or repaired for service.

He has made it clear no refunds. So let's send it in to get checked out. I will take care of the expense of getting it boxed up (properly) and he can pay the shipping. This sounds fair. If there is a issue with it then we can file the claim to UPS. I have already suggested this along with others but he has gone to UPS first and not replied to me. I have got upset because there is no compromise with him. He just wants UPS to take care of it.

People have been stressing over scratches. I can car less about scratches as I have said before. The point of this is it was obviousy slammed around and I don't know if it took some internal damage. Why should I gamble on running it and possible destroying my motor along with the turbo?

It should go back for inspection at his cost. I had nothing to do with the packaging.

To the people saying I didn't give him packaging instructions, "are you serious?" We are adults here do I really need to give instructions on how to package something? I just shipped a turbo and other than him requesting insurance I made sure it was packaged good enough for transit. UPS recommends that it withstand a 3' fall.

Also I did pay for the shipping. It was part of our arrangement. $1625 shipped. So I am not quite sure where this " I paid out of my own pocket" stuff is coming from. As for making sure the insurance was on it, I just assumed no one would ship a $1600 item with no insurance. If something happen with no insurance it would fall on the seller. So it is just covering his own ***. At least thats the way I see it and have always made sure it was on there when I ship stuff. If I was at fault for anything as far as shipping it was that I did not specify to get insurance. I just assumed. Lesson learned.
I still think you are making a huge deal out of nothing. Stop being lazy and take the housings off. See if the wheels are in good shape and if the bearings have any play. That's probably all the manufacturer is going to do.

The turbo housings take all of the impact of a fall. The housings are stout pieces. I have a turbo that was damaged in shipping that looks far worse than your scratches and I am still going to run it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by striker754
The turbo housings take all of the impact of a fall. The housings are stout pieces. I have a turbo that was damaged in shipping that looks far worse than your scratches and I am still going to run it.
You could drop it off a building out of the box and probaly not do anything to the housing other than scrathes and some minor pitting. Depending on how it landed it may not hurt the internals ither.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
You could drop it off a building out of the box and probaly not do anything to the housing other than scrathes and some minor pitting. Depending on how it landed it may not hurt the internals ither.

yes, i think HE understands that. he just doenst wanna risk runing it and having something happend and mess up the engine/turbo.

i wouldnt risk it either, i would check it before i installed.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems fair to me:

Phildo, get the turbo inspected by a reputable shop, if it checks out and they say it is fine to run, you pay the cost. If they say it is damaged, then oufan pay the inspection cost and file an official claim with UPS with the inspection paperwork as evidence.

This is a crappy situation to be in, and I know neither parties planned on it, but it is what it is. Phildo, if you don't want to wait for UPS to conduct their investigation, I really think that is unreasonable, with how people are these days I would be happy that oufan is even willing to help out. You must put yourself in his shoes as well, he sold and sent you a brand new turbo, paid insurance out of his pocket (I wonder what would have happened if you had paid the insurance?), and sent it off, now you are telling him his new turbo is damaged and you want your money back and he should deal with UPS, how would you feel?

Why do you think that carriers even have insurance? Because they know, whether they will admit it or not, that they are responsible for the product while they have it, why would they invest in claims departments if the could just shift the blame to the shipper?? It is obviously something UPS needs to pay for, not oufan, I would just be happy he went up to the store again to discuss it.

Also, Derek @ EDO, I'm with Cliff on this one, are you implying that any product damaged during shipping by your carriers are to be replace with new replacements without filing a claim through the carrier? I'm not trying to be a smartass, its a genuine question, because if so, I need to make some orders with that kind of service!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Havok2
yes, i think HE understands that. he just doenst wanna risk runing it and having something happend and mess up the engine/turbo.

i wouldnt risk it either, i would check it before i installed.
So he should pay for it. If you go based on that "damage" I would want to have every turbo checked out. What is going to happen when UPS tries to destroy the thing on its way back from the manufacturer?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Also, Derek @ EDO, I'm with Cliff on this one, are you implying that any product damaged during shipping by your carriers are to be replace with new replacements without filing a claim through the carrier? I'm not trying to be a smartass, its a genuine question, because if so, I need to make some orders with that kind of service!
Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
When i ship a package it is packaged appropriately. If you would order a defective product from me i will issue a refund and take it up with the manufacturer. Its a simple business standpoint to make sure that the customer has the easiest transaction possible. I will take charge and handle my end of the deal, ALWAYS.
Derek
My statement was directed towards manufacturing defects.
However, if there was a damaged item due to improper handling on the shippers end I would refund the cash upon receiving / inspecting the "damaged" item. I never stated that i wouldn't make a claim
All of my shipments in this price range have insurance unless the buyer does not want insurance. In that case there is nothing I or the shipper can do. I know how to make a claim. When packaging an item correctly there shouldn't be occurrences like these. If this item was packaged right from the beginning it could take normal "shipping" abuse that all packages receive in transit.
IMHO, no customer should have to deal with the headaches of fighting a claim and waiting on their insurance money. That guy purchased from me, I can take a little time out of my day to make his day go by smoother. I guess its just superior customer service. I know when i order products i would want the same treatment given to me. When i sell something to someone i look beyond THAT sale, If that customer is treated like he or she should be theirs a good chance that we will do bussiness again,

Thanks,
Derek
Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

You guys are consistantly missing the point. If it was packaged correctly there would be no question on the functionality of this turbo. The packaging of the item IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY! Nor can the damage be placed on the carrier because it was not packaged to there recommendations.

Here is a link that I posted earlier . Seems no one has looked at it. Tell this guy that his turbo could be tossed off a building and survive.

https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=793225

People can say what they want but until they are in this situation with the kind of money that is in this car, you have no idea. I paid 4 a brand new turbo 100% up to the task not one with a questionable lifespan.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are consistantly missing the point. If it was packaged correctly there would be no question on the functionality of this turbo. The packaging of the item IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY! Nor can the damage be placed on the carrier because it was not packaged to there recommendations.

Here is a link that I posted earlier . Seems no one has looked at it. Tell this guy that his turbo could be tossed off a building and survive.

People can say what they want but until they are in this situation with the kind of money that is in this car, you have no idea. I paid 4 a brand new turbo 100% up to the task not one with a questionable lifespan.
Your situation definitely sucks, no doubt about it, but I think you need to work with oufan aswell. Packaging the item became UPS's responsibility once oufan paid them to do so, just like the turbo became your responsibility when you paid oufan, or like your car did when you paid the dealer.

I agree with what Derek said, he said that an item would be refunded after the item was shipped back and inspected, ship the turbo back to oufan (in warranty claims, the person that bought the product pays the shipping back), have him get it inspected, if it checks out get it shipped back to you, if it doesn't, then work on the claim.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Launching!

look do this
send it in to have it checked.

If its messed up ou can pay to have it fixed show ups and be reimbursted.

If its not messed up you pido pay the check out free and go on with your life.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

If you'd stop whining about some scratches and just take the housings off you could see if there are any problems. You should follow what occurred in the thread you keep linking. That guy took his housings off and saw obvious damage. The turbo in that thread looks to me like it was already damaged or clearances not checked. How do the wheels get smashed up? They are supposed to be a certain distance from the housings and shouldn't move.

I have been in the exact situation as you. My turbo has far more shipping damage than your scratches and it is fine.

Thats just my opinion.

Last edited by striker754; 10-25-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKKINU
like the dude above said, quit whining about some scratches and asking to have your hand held through this and take some god damned initiative to figure out if your CLAIMS are true. you expect this dude to pay for it to be checked out because ytour scared, well wtf happens when he does pay for it, and voila, it checks out fine, are you going to pay HIM for what he went through to HOLD YOUR HAND like a child and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because you have this superhero sense that the turbo is going to self destruct upon startup!!! probly not, so get bent, go pay to have it checked out, if its damaged, send him the reciept and he can give it to UPS so they can pay for it, and the cost of repairs to have it fixed...

THE END.

After all this posting it could have been shipped and probably inspected allready.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

like the dude above said, quit whining about some scratches and asking to have your hand held through this and take some god damned initiative to figure out if your CLAIMS are true. you expect this dude to pay for it to be checked out because ytour scared, well wtf happens when he does pay for it, and voila, it checks out fine, are you going to pay HIM for what he went through to HOLD YOUR HAND like a child and make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because you have this superhero sense that the turbo is going to self destruct upon startup!!! probly not, so get bent, go pay to have it checked out, if its damaged, send him the reciept and he can give it to UPS so they can pay for it, and the cost of repairs to have it fixed...

THE END.
I see there is a thread on here about you so your opinion around here is worthless. Take your juvinile talk to a more appropriate place. Try the grade school playground. Maybe you should spend more time in your own thread.

Last edited by phildo; 10-25-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turbo is getting sent out later this week after mock-up. I am taking care of this myself. Seller is still working on his end. He is trying. Not the way I would of handled it but at this point he is holding all the cards.

So this thread is done.

To all with the immature responses about whining and so on, If you buy enough on here you will eventually be in the same situation. Then lets see how you feel.

Thanks to all that truly tried to help.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OUfan, what about just demanding a return in exchange for a refund and ixnay the whole deal to make it easier?

Obviously the buyer will be perpetually unhappy about the state of affairs.

Hmm.. lemme see here.. scratches on a machined part? Truly shocking... I'm appalled. Everyone, stop driving immediately, your brake rotors have surface scratches and that'll blow up.

I could go into a lengthy tirade why scratches on mating surfaces don't matter, or why even in a 10ft. fall I'd be perfectly content with it. But I feel that'd fall on deaf ears.

Yes, the post is more or less in harsh jackassery for a reason, the whole situation could have been dealt with better sans whining/crying/bitching pick your term.

remember, the onus is on the one making claims to prove it!

Last edited by OKcruising; 10-25-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 AM
On The Tree

I've done 10 transactions on this board, only a few went well. The fact that this complaint forum exists is sad. I've bought stuff from boards everywhere and never had the kinds of trouble I do here. Not sure what that means, but it's true.

Also, UPS blows. I have shipped things to people all over the country and had UPS destroy stuff. I still am waiting for the lazy ******** from UPS to come out and check the carnage they applyed to my stuff that shipped in June, totalling a $1200 refund to people I shipped to.

Phildo- You're going to get nowhere with the seller. He is typical-- takes no pride in himself and no resposibility for actions in his life. This is evidenced inseveral posts he's made. The fact that another company HE CHOSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH may have made an error was his fault indirectly. You were supposed to pay for this, which you did, and the rest was and still is his responsibility. He can't refund the money because he's already blown it. Lessons learned for you are this: either don't buy from individuals on here, or do it C.O.D. I'm done buying here personally. The good members on here should take note too that there are too many shady sellers, as evidenced by the aforementioned neg feedback forum.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

so let me get this straight....if you as a seller, sell something....not everybody has the time, nor the money to be a postal delivery service, so you rely on another company, who specializes in doing stuff like that, and PAY them to do what they advertise.... you drop the package off, give an address, and pay up. They fuckup your package, and that makes YOU RESPONSIBLE???? please. He paid for insurance for a reason, this toolbag needs to quit asking for everybody to hold his pointer finger, and get the man the information he needs (Reciepts) so he can go through UPS for his reimbursements on his scratched turbo that arrived in a box thats damaged, its kinda what happens when you stack things up in trucks...im sure the turbo is fine.
Damn right--it certainly isn't the buyer's fault. The seller contracted with the shipper to deliver a package, but the buyer contracted with the seller only. If he had bought that turbo from a business, they would/should have taken the return or re-sent another unit. The seller has the obligation to complete the transaction instead of put further responsibility on the buyer. What would be said if the seller had shipped the unit and the buyer mailed the check and it got lost/destroyed in the mail to the point it was uncashable? Then the buyer said: "oh yeah, I need a bunch of documentation to send the money to you and complete my end of the bargain?"

If that turbo is damaged internally and he installs it, spools it up and it breaks, then he's S.O.L. I wouldn't have put up with this as long as the buyer has already.

Quick Reply: Shipping damage. Opinion on fault. Step in