Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Dont Ever Go To This Shop!!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dont Ever Go To This Shop!!

Ok guys so I picked up some 4.10's and master install kit from Speed Inc. a couple weeks ago and I was gonna have them do the install but they were backed up for a couple weeks. And I wanted them in right away. I took my car to a shop like 3/4's of a mile from my work called Speed Quest in Waukegun IL. I talked to the owner in person and he told me they do gears All the time and hes got a great mechanic for the job. I was hesitant to let him work on it because they never did any work on my car before. I let him do the work and he told me it should only take a couple hours to do and he was gonna charge me 180$ for the install. I dropped it off before I started work and they started working on it at 10 am. I called him and made sure it wasnt gonna whine or howl or anything and he said it will be fine. I then went to the shop when I got out of work at about 3:30 and he said it wasnt done yet. He then took me in the back and said he had a question for me. He told me "I was reading your instructions and its says to torque the crush sleave to 25 inch lbs but I torqued it to 25 ft/lbs because I didnt think it was right and then the drive shaft wouldnt turn." Now im not a mechanic and I never installed these before but I told him he was wrong and that he needs to change out the crush sleave because its no good now. He asked me to call Speed Inc. and see who was right. I talked so a Salesman that was very help full and went in back and asked a tech and he responded that the 25 inch pounds was right and that he should changed the crush sleave now.
So I told him and he's like "ok" and that was it. I go into the waiting room and then at 7:30 he tells me its done and brought my stock parts to the counter. He told me he wanted to drive my car with me to show me everything was cool. As soon as we hit 30 it was screaming!!!! It sounded like I had a kennebell under my hood! He got all nervous and scared and asked me it thats supposed to do that and I said are you kidding me no!
We go back to the the shop and the mechanic drove it and then they talked in the back for a bit then came and told me that its my spider gears that are probably messed up and I brought it to them like that. I said hell no they are fine unless you touched them. After a bunch of going back and forth he told me " oh its my fault for not driving the car first" Im not calling you a liar but im going by what my mechanic is saying. He asked me what I wanted to do and I told him I dont know what to do and he's like we can take it apart and show you its the spider gears. And I said no because I know its the crush sleave and bearing that he over torqued. So then he says to me "oh so its my fault" and I said yah, he tells me " Im willing to show you its your spider gears and NOT the crush sleave and bearing and your still saying its gonna be my fault no matter what" And I told him yah because it never made sound untill he worked on it. He then told me to get the car out of his shop. So I did and I got it towed to my buddys shop. There head Mechanic took it apart to see what the first shop did and then called me and told me that they infact did screw it up! He said that the crush bearing does not spin freely at all and theres hammer marks on my carrier and on the spider gears. I asked him what the hell were they trying to do and he said that since the 4.10 is a thicker gear then stock they were hammering in the stock wedge instead of grinding it down or getting a skinnier one. So now I was pissed off. And I said can I prove it was them and he said uhhh yah anyone can see what they did here. So I called Speed Quest and the owner is in Puerto Rico and dont come back till Tuesday. Witch is legit cause he told me he was going there when I was there. So I got an estimate from the 2nd shop for all this and it says on the estimate that there is hammer marks on the carrier and spider gears from the previous shop. These guys better pay for this or I will take them to court! I owe so far 358$ for the tow and for them to take it apart and see whats wrong. And its gonna cost 1178.00$ for them to put a new carriar in. I just needed to vent here guys!

Last edited by GEARHED; 07-18-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
SKI
11 Second Club

Man that suckes.For a little more you can find a use 12 bolt,i know that is not what you want to hear rite now.I would be pissed off too.Hope it works out for you.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that blows. i would not spend 1200 on the 10 bolt however. spend another grand and get a moser 9 inch setup
Old 07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

talk to the owner when he gets back to see if you can settle on something. if not, say youll report him to the BBB and take him to small claims court
Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, Slayerized thats exactly what im gonna tell him. If I can get money out of him I most deffinatley am going to get a 9 inch. Im not gonna put that towards the 10 bolt thats just idiotic! I know shops have insurance for these kinds of things. I'll let you guys know what happens with this.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

how can that guy be a mechanic?! Even one that doesn't know rearends should be better than to do something like that! I would be so pissed i woudln't believe it.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, exactly........ See what im going through here. Some one tells you that they do this all the time and they do awesome work and then they screw you!
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

in reponse to my other reply:

the guy hit your carrier with a BFH. if you can get a written or recorded statement from the mechanic or owner saying that, youll be set if you want to take him to small claims. just get it legally.

also, go down to the shop in person to talk to the owner. bring a friend so if you ever do need to take him to court, you have someone to back up their statements. let us know what happens.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

danm bro, hope u get all that fix, n is gonna sux 4 that guy

wish u the best.

-Eddie
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Slayerized- I have on my estimate from the 2nd shop saying that the Speed Quest used a hammer on the carrier and spider gears resulting in damage to carrier. And it also says that they were clearly done from previous shop resulting in the noise that is present. I hope thats enough.... And when I was there I had a friend with me and the shop owner said. "Yeah this IS my fault for not driving the car before the install." He was back there during the install so he knows the truth. I will see what he says tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. By the way, im guessing you are a Slayer fan? Angel of Death and Dead skin mask are some of my favorite Slayer songs! TTYL.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down

That sucks Man ! I took a shop to court one time for a slipped timing belt that bent the valves in the head. The shop put on a used head and a new belt. $1400 later I get the car back and 2 miles down the ride, normal driving, it cuts off. Push it home in neutral, pop the valve cover.. A valve was missing. It fell down into my engine and put holes all in the piston...

I took pictures of the damage. Brought it back to the mechanic and asked him what was up.. He said he would put in a new motor as soon as the junk yard he got the head from gets one in... 6 months later no motor , so I just asked for my money back... He refused stating that I over revved the motor...

Went to court with the head and pictures. Explained to the judge how everything works and showed them how the valves are held into the head... Well somehow I lost... Lack of evidence !

I did not have a jury trail, but I would suggest if you can do that. It cost a little more, but to me it seems unless you can get a lawyer involved , somehow mechanics have the upper hand... I thought my case was open and shut.. He put on a defective part.... but I had no damn written warrenty..

Good luck Bud... Sorry I couldn't add anything... Just really think about that jury thing !
Old 07-07-2008, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Wow that sucks man, I just hope I dont have to go that far. Oh well I guess I'll see tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Slayerized- I have on my estimate from the 2nd shop saying that the Speed Quest used a hammer on the carrier and spider gears resulting in damage to carrier. And it also says that they were clearly done from previous shop resulting in the noise that is present. I hope thats enough.... And when I was there I had a friend with me and the shop owner said. "Yeah this IS my fault for not driving the car before the install." He was back there during the install so he knows the truth. I will see what he says tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. By the way, im guessing you are a Slayer fan? Angel of Death and Dead skin mask are some of my favorite Slayer songs! TTYL.
hell yea man.

hopefully the shop owner is an honest man and will fix his mistakes.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to an attorney...get a free estimate from one...go to the shop, tell them you already have an attorney and are just plain ready to go to court...tell them you want all this paid for and you wont go to court, explain to them in detail what the other shopped stated....see if they are going to play ball or not
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are no spider gears in a torsen
Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

So wait, let me get this straight. You took yoru car to a "mechanic" and had him install gears. Half way through the install the "mechanic" asked YOU ( the non mechanic) if what he did was correct? At that point you didn't see anything wrong with leaving your car there? That didn't make you wonder if the guy doing the work knows what he is doing?

I am finding it harder and harder to feel bad for people in these situations. Every story goes the same way. THe "mechainc" starts asking weird querstions, doing weird things, over and over and yet people look right past it. Then when all is said and done they are suddenly up in arms about how they got screwed.

Look at the signs people. When the ace mechianc you are paying money too ask you how to do the job, WALK AWAY.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boostedinaz
So wait, let me get this straight. You took yoru car to a "mechanic" and had him install gears. Half way through the install the "mechanic" asked YOU ( the non mechanic) if what he did was correct? At that point you didn't see anything wrong with leaving your car there? That didn't make you wonder if the guy doing the work knows what he is doing?

I am finding it harder and harder to feel bad for people in these situations. Every story goes the same way. THe "mechainc" starts asking weird querstions, doing weird things, over and over and yet people look right past it. Then when all is said and done they are suddenly up in arms about how they got screwed.

Look at the signs people. When the ace mechianc you are paying money too ask you how to do the job, WALK AWAY.

I agree with you there, but the outcome would have been the same either way for this guy... LS1Crazy says nothing, test drive goes bad, oh your spider gears were screwed when you bought the car to us.....

When they have the car apart already there really wasn't much he could have said or done.... Maybe could have put it back together with the stock parts, paid them for really not doing **** to the car.. I guess that might have saved the rear from them banging on the paddle or whatever they beat on
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tom Burns
I agree with you there, but the outcome would have been the same either way for this guy... LS1Crazy says nothing, test drive goes bad, oh your spider gears were screwed when you bought the car to us.....

When they have the car apart already there really wasn't much he could have said or done.... Maybe could have put it back together with the stock parts, paid them for really not doing **** to the car.. I guess that might have saved the rear from them banging on the paddle or whatever they beat on
Yah when he asked me they were already basicly done with the car. He told me after the fact. If he would have called me before hand I would have told him to leave it alone. I dropped my estimate off but the owner wasnt there the guy working the counter said there gonna try to work somthing out. I will find out tomorrow for sure what the heck is going on.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I'm from Gurnee and I've been to that shop before with a couple of friends that have imports. From what I seen when I went there was that they pretty much deal with imports only. I know it's too late, but you could have asked in the midwest section for some reputable places around Lake County that you could have contacted. I feel for you bro your situation sucks for sure. Like the others said though, if you can, spend the money on a better rear and you'll be better off in the long run.

Last edited by Machinist; 07-09-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Machinist- I work at that 84 lumber down the street from there. I found out after I dropped the car off that its a new owner and staff from the last time I was there.

I talked to the owner today and he said that he is not gonna pay me anything. He says that it was like that and they did not use a hammer. Im done going back and forth with this guy. I can not prove that they did the damage so I have no chance in court. I am gonna buy a 9 inch now like I originally intended. Thanks for all the help and support guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dont Ever Go To This Shop!!