Sponsored by:

WS6 hood orignal or repo????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WS6 hood orignal or repo????

Hello,

Son has a chance to get a chance to get a ws 6 hood for his T/A how can we tell the repos from originals? I've been told the camaros had a gm part number in them is this true for the ws6 hood also?, Any help would be appricated, thanks Paul
Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely a reproduction, someone with a WS.6 probably wouldnt just up and sell their hood. But unless you get one with heat extractors or something, then the differences are not noticeable to an untrained eye. I say go for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:44 PM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are real GM units out there. I saw one sell on ebay for $500. The real thing will fit better right out of the box.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red96TA
Most likely a reproduction, someone with a WS.6 probably wouldnt just up and sell their hood. But unless you get one with heat extractors or something, then the differences are not noticeable to an untrained eye. I say go for it.
I beg to differ. Pieces of crap like the Suncoast look COMPLETELY different (missing body lines, different vents, taller scoops, etc.) than OE units.

Every repro I've ever seen looks like pure hell IMHO.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

A repo hood is quite noticable if you ask me. Unless there are REALLY nice ones out there. They will have fatter edges, especially on the back. Usually will not have the crease lines just above the snorkels too. And the repos are usually fiberglass. I am not happy with the repo that is on my car. The back of the hood toward the windshield is way to square and way too high and looks like a couple flat cabinet tops. And an entire year after I got the hood painted, strange upward divets started popping up in 4 places.

Be careful with repo hoods if you after a genuine WS6 look. They usually also fit like crap too. If you can spend a little extra get a real factory Ram Air hood. They are awesome.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Red face

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.............
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed Kills
Pieces of crap like the Suncoast look COMPLETELY different (missing body lines, different vents, taller scoops, etc.) than OE units.
I've personally seen quite a few very nice Suncoast hoods where fitment is good etc. And since it is a repro after all, it's probably not meant to be 100% similar than the OEM.

I just bought the TA in the below picture and I think the fitment of the Predator hood is reasonably good. Not that the fitment on the OEM hoods is always 100% accurate. Even straight from the factory. The good ole' GM quality, you know.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

There are ways to tell a GM hood apart. Like the hood posted above...the vents in the nostrils are kinda squared. GM hoods are not like that. There is also a noticeable line around the nostril on GM hoods.

See the line:

Most aftermarket hoods dont have the line

Hoods from US Exotics are pretty much the closest looking hoods to original GM hoods out there. I believe i read somewhere that SLP bought the design from US Exotics because the hood fit so well.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
There are ways to tell a GM hood apart. Like the hood posted above...the vents in the nostrils are kinda squared. GM hoods are not like that. There is also a noticeable line around the nostril on GM hoods.

See the line:

Most aftermarket hoods dont have the line
Absolutely correct.
Also notice the center section between the scoops front to back is very smoothed out compared to the Suncoast hoods.
I picked my Factory Ram Air Hood 9 years ago at a local Swao Meet for $250
Obviously the deal of a lifetime.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, that's just the problem. I think everyone agrees that OEM is the only way to go, but those go for at least $1200; although I suppose you could end up spending that much to try and get an aftermarket hood painted and fitted properly. Scouring for-sale sections, evil-bay and swap meets is the only other alternative, but you're looking for a WS6 hood in a haystack, so....