New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free ram air mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

So you have to remove your A/C to do this?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i'm gonna put on my flame proof suit and say yes it is better than the "kits" i gained 2 tenths and 2mph
That's a normal gain from a kit as well. Cheaper but equal performance gain. I currently have something similar to the SUX2BU ramair, but I will be rerouting the inlet from its current location (my fog light holes) to the bottom of the radiator (like the kits) and track testing. There's just more air to be had down there. Plus, I just didn't get the gains that I wanted from the setup I have and I won't rest til I get what I want.

I'm going to the track this weekend to test out my current state of weight reduction and drag lites. Then next weekend (if everything goes as planned) will be going back with only the ram air change. Weather (as predicted now is supposed to be about the same, but I always document that the best that I can regardless.

Originally Posted by dutinsss
i haven't done it yet, but i'd think it is better. and if you seal up your lid, it will be a true ram air, where the other kits just "provide" more air, if you know what i mean. but like i said, i haven't done it yet, so i don't know for sure.
Yes it is better. Having more available air makes little to no difference without some pressurization. I've installed an FTRA on a WS6 and ended up cutting the lower airbox too much to allow a good seal. No real gains from that, but after sealing the box the car gain a solid 2 tenths and 2 MPH
Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
Is it just me, or is there anybody else that has a real hard time cutting up their car. I just get the creepy crawlies whenever I go to do something that is irreversible. PERSONALLY, i value the cleanness and wholeness of my car.
That said, I do believe that the FRA mod really would help, and that its surely not a wash because of the radiator. The radiator would have to be incredibly hot to warm all the air passing over it briefly and then going into the air box. especially at speed which is the only time this mod would make any difference any way. Hence RAM air. That would be my two pennies.
If you're cutting metal don't fear, as metal can be fixed. If you're cutting something else, it can just be replaced.

Radiator heat doesn't matter, because it's not the radiator that the air is passing over. It's the A/C condenser which doesn't get hot, only mildly warm (when in use).

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
So you have to remove your A/C to do this?
No, just the bumper supports.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

I already have a FTRA so maybe I shoul look into sealing the lower Air Box better. I also noticed the sides of my lid aren't fully flat.......
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I already have a FTRA so maybe I shoul look into sealing the lower Air Box better. I also noticed the sides of my lid aren't fully flat.......
I would seal it up. Lid not flat? Maybe put some weather stripping on it.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

outkast only trimmied his bumper supports, so you don't necessarily have to completely remove them if your worried about that. i believe you have to remove the windsheild washer fluid tank though.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

I need to look into doing either the FTRA or one of the custom ones that you can keep your AC ect. Right now I just have the plastic cut a little underneath the lid base.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

I've already deleted my window washer reservoir
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Launching!

i did the same mod and i honestly could tell NO difference in before or after.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, so I caved and did it. And there is a little gain in power, at least on my Ass5000 dyno. Throttle response is up too. About the same as adding the lid for the first time.

Quick Reply: Free ram air mod