Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free ram air mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Free ram air mod

Alright, I'm seeing this all over the place with people cutting the plastic baffle under the air filter. There are two plastic pieces on there, one right against the radiator and one lower. Could you one or both of these plastic parts be removed instead of cutting it, or does the radiator not have enough protection without them?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link give you step by step instructions with pics
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

I've read that and have no problem with how to do the mod but I'm wodering if it would be a bad thing to remove the plastic completely. It looks like the radiator is decently protected by the front bumper but I don't know about water splash and all that. Is it a really bad idea to remove these entirely?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have no plastic left there, it's all gone. everyone will tell you the fra is worth it but in my opinion it's a waste. the added heat from the radiator is a wash on any extra air you get. do a cai kit and call it a day. just my 2 cents
Old 10-25-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is the best way to go for ram air
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...products_id=28
Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ That's my next mod when the money comes available. I have both plastic pieces off my car now and I was looking up from underneath and it looks like if it was raining or I hit a puddle the lower plastic air dam would direct water right up on the radiator. Would this hurt the radiator? I know in my Jeep water on radiator = smoke and cracked radiator if you don't shut it down.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i have no plastic left there, it's all gone. everyone will tell you the fra is worth it but in my opinion it's a waste. the added heat from the radiator is a wash on any extra air you get. do a cai kit and call it a day. just my 2 cents
The air you get won't even be heated by the radiator. This is more for air in while your driving anyway. Ram air takes motion to work.. The radiator is behind where you would do the ram air mod anyway. Just cut all the plastic away it will be just fine. Your filter will get dirtier faster, but I think it is worth it.

Last edited by Swaie; 10-25-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this mod was already done to my car when I bought it and my K&N filter gets dirty quickly. Golf&GM ever run your z28 at Capitol Raceway Ive seen one there that looks just like it.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Nah, I haven't been there but I think I might sometime soon, southwest VA sucks when it comes to 1/4 mile tracks and I'm itching to drive 100+ legally

Looks like outkast6991 didn't put the plastic on and isn't having any issues. Anyone else who's done this, did you cut the plastic or just take the whole piece out?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swaie
The air you get won't even be heated by the radiator. This is more for air in while your driving anyway. Ram air takes motion to work.. The radiator is behind where you would do the ram air mod anyway. Just cut all the plastic away it will be just fine. Your filter will get dirtier faster, but I think it is worth it.

not trying to argue with you but my car has been data logged with EFI live more than a few times and i can tell you that with the bottom of the airbox exposed my car was seeing very high iat temps(130+) while sitting in the lanes.the excessive iat temps were giving my a kr issue on the hit. it took almost half the track before they came back in line which is what lead me to the SUX2BU ram air mod. now my car has all the benifits of ram air(which does work to the tune of 2 tenths and 2mph) and my iats are no more than +5 over ambient. to the op my plastic has been off for 2 years and the car is dd with no problems
Old 10-26-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats actually good to know - I need CAI kits for my V6 and V8
Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

SUX2BU, what's this
Old 10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
SUX2BU, what's this
you run tubes from the 2 wholes in the camaro grill to the bottom of the lid and seal it up. i'm going to do it when i get ahold of a lid. theres pictures of it on here somewhere. i'll find a link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/924891-sux2bu-style-ram-air-results.html
Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Is this better than FTRA/SSRA?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm gonna put on my flame proof suit and say yes it is better than the "kits" i gained 2 tenths and 2mph
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't really notice any difference I'm sure it's there but I didn't feel it at all.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i haven't done it yet, but i'd think it is better. and if you seal up your lid, it will be a true ram air, where the other kits just "provide" more air, if you know what i mean. but like i said, i haven't done it yet, so i don't know for sure.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it just me, or is there anybody else that has a real hard time cutting up their car. I just get the creepy crawlies whenever I go to do something that is irreversible. PERSONALLY, i value the cleanness and wholeness of my car.
That said, I do believe that the FRA mod really would help, and that its surely not a wash because of the radiator. The radiator would have to be incredibly hot to warm all the air passing over it briefly and then going into the air box. especially at speed which is the only time this mod would make any difference any way. Hence RAM air. That would be my two pennies.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
Is it just me, or is there anybody else that has a real hard time cutting up their car. I just get the creepy crawlies whenever I go to do something that is irreversible. PERSONALLY, i value the cleanness and wholeness of my car.
That said, I do believe that the FRA mod really would help, and that its surely not a wash because of the radiator. The radiator would have to be incredibly hot to warm all the air passing over it briefly and then going into the air box. especially at speed which is the only time this mod would make any difference any way. Hence RAM air. That would be my two pennies.
i'm not into hacking a car up either but i have no problem removing metal that no one can tell is gone for 20+hp for $40. as far as the fra i had it and it does make a nice difference. the problem is not when your moving but when your sitting still with a 200+ degree heat source less than 2 feet from a sensor designed to measure incoming air temp. if your not looking to run a # and don't want to cut up a car, the sux2bu mod isn't for you. if your trying to get every tenth you can than you'd be hard pressed to find a mod that will give you the same gains for next to no cash. and if you read the thread i have datalogs to prove that where your car is getting it's air from actually does make a big difference. just my experience
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll buy that. End of Discussion. These last two posts should have covered any/all questions pertaining to the !FRA

Quick Reply: Free ram air mod