Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking off my cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
You need to get rid of that 80's series one of the worst flowing mufflers for our cars, and they sound like crap too...

That is nothing more than drivers. Just taking the cats off and not changing anything else doesn't fix the restriction problem in the exhaust. There have been cars that have lost HP from taking off there cats, and there are cars that have gained 5-10hp but 5-10 hp isnt going to be noticble. I have played around with different set ups on the Dyno, I put cats back on my GMMG cause it sounds like *** without them. WIth LT's cat's and GMMG I only gave up 4hp by putting them back on, but the sound was so much better.

drivers??? how would you know? we are both very good drivers and very consistent. so dont give me the drivers BS. i even let him get the hit once and still reeled him in. I have noticed that every little thing that i do on this car makes a difference. to the thread starter. do what you want. there is much debate over this topic.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bongva
drivers??? how would you know? we are both very good drivers and very consistent. so dont give me the drivers BS. i even let him get the hit once and still reeled him in. I have noticed that every little thing that i do on this car makes a difference. to the thread starter. do what you want. there is much debate over this topic.
Just do a search you will get an answer... On average taking out the cats one will throw a code, and not gain you much.. I have put a car on the DYNO with before and after results and they just simply arent there, not enough for me to make my car sound like ***. And claiming to feel a 5-10hp bump in a 300hp car is all in your head.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philsblwnz28
hmmmmm if you dont have restriction you have more horsepower......LOL All I have to say is gut em, yall feel a difference....
You need some restriction to have scavenaging in the headers also with no back pressure you loose torque... Its not just as simple as putting a straight pipe to get the most power. Going through a cut out might net you more peak hp but less tq and power under the curve...So its really not usable..
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

I ran cats on my 2002 SS, I took them off and put headers on.
Then I got my 2001 Z28 with no exhaust so I gutted the cats and put the old SS exhaust on. So I don't know what difference gutted cats make.
BUT I did later get an Edelbrock ORY, and had some 3" pipe bent up to adapt the stock manifolds to the ORY.
There was a huge difference in seat of the pants feel, but it did sound terrible.

I thought if that made such a change I'd get some headers for it. I had some pacesetter LTs adapted to the ORY and it was noticably slower.
Maybe it's all in the Y.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Launching!

You need some restriction to have scavenaging in the headers also with no back pressure you loose torque... Its not just as simple as putting a straight pipe to get the most power. Going through a cut out might net you more peak hp but less tq and power under the curve...So its really not usable..
i guess your saying i suck at driving? cuz i'm bongva's brother and that torque and back pressure BS is a myth. if you need back pressure to have torque then all the race cars would have like 10 cats for torque plus if keeping the cats are as good as you say then LTs would have cats on them, am i right?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OMGls1jz
i guess your saying i suck at driving? cuz i'm bongva's brother and that torque and back pressure BS is a myth. if you need back pressure to have torque then all the race cars would have like 10 cats for torque plus if keeping the cats are as good as you say then LTs would have cats on them, am i right?
Your totally missing the point of this whole thing.. Race cars are a whole different thing than a street car first of all they operate in high RPM all the time so to them tq and hp under the curve are not what they are interested in. Second yes you do in fact need pressure on a car. I have one car with high flow cats on it and the other with none. But going around acting like taking the cats off nets you 50hp is just ridiculous. Full exhaust with LT's and a tune is normally netting people 30hp or so. Why go through all that if most of the gains are from taking the cats off? Gutting cats on a stock setup isnt going to change that much as you will still have the stock Y-pipe in there with the flattened side on it. Once you go to LT's and a full exhaust the Y-pipe is no longer a problem running catless vs high flows will only net you a couple of hp..
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your totally missing the point of this whole thing.. Race cars are a whole different thing than a street car first of all they operate in high RPM all the time so to them tq and hp under the curve are not what they are interested in. Second yes you do in fact need pressure on a car. I have one car with high flow cats on it and the other with none. But going around acting like taking the cats off nets you 50hp is just ridiculous. Full exhaust with LT's and a tune is normally netting people 30hp or so. Why go through all that if most of the gains are from taking the cats off? Gutting cats on a stock setup isnt going to change that much as you will still have the stock Y-pipe in there with the flattened side on it. Once you go to LT's and a full exhaust the Y-pipe is no longer a problem running catless vs high flows will only net you a couple of hp..

we didnt say it nets 50hp, we just said that it helps out some... every little thing counts on these cars, if you like cats good for you, i dont so i take mine out. we dont have emissions or any crap like that here. to the thread starter do what you want man, all i have to say is every little thing helps. if you want your car to sound good then leave the cats in... I personally think w/o cats doesnt sound bad either.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

ok guys i appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't take the time to gut the cats. Sure you may gain a couple horses from doing it, but it isn't worth the hassle. Just wait and buy full exhaust.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bro just gutted his cats on his 2001 Trans am, the one in my sig pic. It was cool sounding at first, but after running some errands around town, the sound got down right annoying. Made me fall in love with my magnaflow cb all over again.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

I am going to pull my catalytic converters off and gain 50 horse powers to da wheels.

No, really - it does not make that big of a difference unless your cats are going bad/clogged.

That's why a full long tube+ORY settup will gain about 20-25 horse over stock.