Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Warranty-voiding mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non Warranty-voiding mods?

Anyone know what mods are ok to not viod an aftermarket warranty? I'm at the start of a three year bumper to bumper warranty and don't really want to void it as I am still relatively new to this car and don't know what will go? Just wondering. Thanks

Last edited by oddwraith; 12-10-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Anyone know what mods are ok to not viod an aftermarket warranty? I'm at the start of a three year bumper to bumper warranty and don't really want to void it as I am still relatively new to this car and don't know what will go? Just wondering. Thanks
Any mod technically voids a warranty. Some dealerships will work on a modded vehicle for the profit, however others will reject it because if something goes wrong, they do not want to be help responsible.

Most of the time if you have something like a cat-back or intake its no big deal. But you can't stick a blower on the car, blow up the trans, and then go to the dealership and say WTF.

I have heard of dealerships however that will not touch a car with something changed. On the other hand I have heard of dealerships that have taken in full bolt-on and sometimes cam-only cars depending on what the problem is.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Usually a CAI or cat back will be fine, but it mostly depends on the dealership. I would talk to service where you would have warranty work done and ask them what their policy is.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Magnuson-Moss Act. Read this link:

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Just because you use after market products is not grounds to void a car warranty. If your Pontiac (or any other) dealer tells you that you must use Geniune GM parts and have a certified shop install them, that's bull. If your modification can be shown to be the cause of the problem they must negotiate price based on the single incident, and may not pay, but your warranty is not voided for future events.

You may use any brand of parts and have them installed by anyone you choose, including yourself. But as already stated, you and they are going to know if you modded your car and caused the problem. Like if you over-power your car and blow the rearend. They should still work on the car and a reasonably good dealership may meet you part way on the cost.

KEEP your receipts and records in case of disputes.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whatever. Put 1000rwhp in a Corvette, blow the trans and the rear and everything in between. Take it to a dealership, and tell me how loud they laugh when you ask for a replacement.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Whatever. Put 1000rwhp in a Corvette, blow the trans and the rear and everything in between. Take it to a dealership, and tell me how loud they laugh when you ask for a replacement.
1000hp is not reasonable most dealers have to prove that the part you installed is the cause of the problem almost all boltons are ok headers, catback, intake....etc ull be ok as long as you dont open the motor up
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by witry
1000hp is not reasonable most dealers have to prove that the part you installed is the cause of the problem almost all boltons are ok headers, catback, intake....etc ull be ok as long as you dont open the motor up
I was just talking about reasonable mods. Because most dealers will tell you that your warranty is void if THEY don't do the maintanence work themselves, with the factory parts.

And I was trying to add a little info for those who don't know what their rights are.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thank everyone for the quick responses but I think that perhaps most of you are answering as if this is a factory warranty. It is not, it is a third party warr, and I believe they are more picky and less "honest" when it comes to paying up. This is why I was asking because I have limited experience with these types of warranties. Either way, I think based on popular opinion (on here and elsewhere) I will stick with mild mods (few bolt-ons) for now. But as soon as I get a feel for the strength of this car, I'm going big and to hell with the warranty! Thanks again folks.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Your best bet is to read the documentation that comes with your warranty. I have a 5 year extended 3rd party warranty on my car and it came with plenty of documentation saying what I could and couldn't do. Odds are minor things like mentioned won't be a problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

as soon as I get a feel for the strength of this car, I'm going big and to hell with the warranty!
Well, I hope you didn't pay too much for the warranty, then...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
I was just talking about reasonable mods. Because most dealers will tell you that your warranty is void if THEY don't do the maintanence work themselves, with the factory parts.

And I was trying to add a little info for those who don't know what their rights are.
Yeah I know I went a little overboard on the example, but I was just sayin. If a mod adds enough power to bust the car, good luck on gettin it fixed NOT MATTER WHAT your "rights" are. They would probably make u get in touch with the company (like GM) and they would throw it in processing or something forever until you forget about it.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shiv15
Your best bet is to read the documentation that comes with your warranty. I have a 5 year extended 3rd party warranty on my car and it came with plenty of documentation saying what I could and couldn't do. Odds are minor things like mentioned won't be a problem.

It did indeed come with plenty of documentation however, much of it is very vague when it comes to what can and can't be modified and one would have to be a lawyer to determine exactly what is meant by much of it At first glance it would appear that any and all modification is reason for void, but this I doubt very much as mentioned a few times above.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Well, I hope you didn't pay too much for the warranty, then...
Haha nice Sig. Well actually the warranty was rather expensive and is also rather extensive in coverage. But I have to weigh how much is my "fun factor" worth to me. But since my vehicle is only being drove in the summer I will have to give it a couple summers to determine the temperment (for lack of better terms) of my T/A. I think maybe I might start with appearance mods (already did rims etc) and just baby it for awhile. I am actually torn (if you couldn't tell) between modification and preservation of this beautiful vehicle. Maybe the warranty is just what I needed to keep me from raping this vehicle of it's original condition and specs. Hmmmm, damn I hate being indecisive.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most aftermarket warranties send out an adjuster to look at the car on claims. If it's even questionable, it's usually denied. What warranty did you purchase? I would think the dealership would like to get the work because it's slow. It's not the dealership that won't cover things, it's the warranty company.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Most aftermarket warranties send out an adjuster to look at the car on claims. If it's even questionable, it's usually denied. What warranty did you purchase? I would think the dealership would like to get the work because it's slow. It's not the dealership that won't cover things, it's the warranty company.
Autogard warranty?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha nice Sig. Well actually the warranty was rather expensive and is also rather extensive in coverage.
I'll bet. When I considered buying an extended warranty it was like, $1800 or something, although it was pretty extensive. Also, I didn't like the fact that the company was on the other side of the damn country. If something becomes an issue I wanna' be able to get in someone's face...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Default save your money.

while your car sit there broken and the warrinty company debates on if they will repair it and you have no car for ??????? months, young guy, perfomance car, blown ?????? not included in warrinty, owner abuse, aftermarket parts, thats all you'll hear, look just cancel it and get your money back and enjoy the car,
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
I'll bet. When I considered buying an extended warranty it was like, $1800 or something, although it was pretty extensive. Also, I didn't like the fact that the company was on the other side of the damn country. If something becomes an issue I wanna' be able to get in someone's face...
Well that was indeed the price. I too would rather be able to talk to them in person as well. I guess I just wanted a little piece of mind so I bought it. Sort of regret it now though as the vehicle seems rock solid
Old 12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by billyb
while your car sit there broken and the warrinty company debates on if they will repair it and you have no car for ??????? months, young guy, perfomance car, blown ?????? not included in warrinty, owner abuse, aftermarket parts, thats all you'll hear, look just cancel it and get your money back and enjoy the car,
I know you are right. I have however had good experience with warranties before ie: head gasket, intake manifold gasket, air conditioning etc (different vehicle). I have tried to cancel it but no luck; apparently you must cancel within 10 days of purchase! It is pure BS. Rest assured when the AC goes (and it will) i'll be getting it fixed right away. At least that will give me 700 dollars back or so. They charged me about 650 for my Saturn Sc2 AC repair and it was covered under the aftermarket warranty.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Teching In

we had a powertrain warrentee.. had a slightly modded engine... just headers, K&N CIA, nitrous kit. trans went out.. they can only deny service on the part that was modified if the modifications directly resulted in the part breaking... modded engine.. trans or rear breaks... they had to prove the engine mods caused the trans or rear to break...

the trans went out.. the GM guys got into it with the warrenty guys... none of the mods resulted in the trans falure.. (happened to be bad clutch packs) got a new trans for the deduc. $100....