New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about standard and automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS
manual= fun on the streets, hiways, downshifts,powershifts,car feels very fast.
auto= doesnt feel as "fun", but is quick,consistent, will nver miss a gear in a race. no excuses, a stalled auto will take out 99% of a equal hp m6 car.period.
Old 12-14-2008 | 11:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1W66
BTW Big Name Racers who don't use an automatic
Warren Johnson, Jeg Coughlin and anybody running NHRA Pro Stock.
thats not exactly true, they run clutchless Liberty five speeds. Its closer to shifting a FMVB automatic then a manual trans.

All depends on what type of driving you do with the car. my Z28 puts down 500rwhp and can still get close to 20mpg with a 6 speed. Its also great in a street race from a roll. I really dont care about gas milage and i dont street race, so i just care about the track. This is why i am switching it out for a TH400. If i was just crusing around the streets or maybe DD-ing the car, i would def. stick with a manual.

the 4L60E is nice because you can set the shift points easily. Bottom line is thats its really a weak transmission. The T-56 can take a lot of abuse even in the stock form.
Old 12-14-2008 | 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1W66
BTW Big Name Racers who don't use an automatic
Warren Johnson, Jeg Coughlin and anybody running NHRA Pro Stock

Originally Posted by MiketurboLS1
thats not exactly true, they run clutchless Liberty five speeds. Its closer to shifting a FMVB automatic then a manual trans.

THANK YOUhaha That has been my point but it's not worth a pissing match with this guy.

Agree 100% w/you. Street = M6 and track = auto
Old 12-14-2008 | 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally its ALL in what you want. I wanted a cruiser and a road carver so I get a stick. If you want a drag racer then youll get an A4. There is no BETTER or BEST. Its all according to the application.

I will say that the only reason most people use an A4 on the track is it takes that other principle out of the equation. If you just have to worry about the motor then it makes racing that much easier. With a stick you have to have a seriously talented driver and even then sometimes they will make mistakes and you might loose the race. Some people dont want to chance anything and with an A4 youll never loose a race because of a missed shift.

Now, if you are road racing its gonna be a M6 by far. They generally run FAR cooler and you are able to downshift to get ready for the next straightaway after you get done with the current turn.
Old 12-14-2008 | 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

6 speeds impress highschool kids and shifting through the gears makes it seem like your going fast. but in a quarter mile, autos win races and kick ***! my car gets looked down upon also by people that dont know **** and think they do. from a roll auto's, expecially stalled ones cant mess with a good driver and an m6. but with my stall and at wot my rpm's dont go lower than 5300.
Old 12-14-2008 | 06:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by second_2_none
6 speeds impress highschool kids and shifting through the gears makes it seem like your going fast. but in a quarter mile, autos win races and kick ***! my car gets looked down upon also by people that dont know **** and think they do. from a roll auto's, expecially stalled ones cant mess with a good driver and an m6. but with my stall and at wot my rpm's dont go lower than 5300.
Exactly

most hondas/ imports have manual trannies and very few have performance oriented autos, and since there are soooo many around and everyone "trys" to make them fast thats what younger and/or inexperienced people associate with fast cars.
I see the merit of both, its just personal taste IMHO
Old 12-14-2008 | 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

No more M6 vs A4 threads.

Try a search. All the info is already out there.