Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about standard and automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about standard and automatic

I have an A4 and I really would like to have a M6 but I have a lot of questions that don't seem to come up in the search.

Is M6 faster on the streets? I have heard from a couple of my friends that all M6's are faster but then I also hear that an A4 is so i'm confused.

If anyone can help me out with this I would appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fastest strip cars are a4. Easier to launch and quicker shifts. Just better outta the hole and a m6 car has a hard time making it up. M6 cars will usually trap a little faster though. From a roll a M6 car usually has an advantage. A stalled a4 car can negate some of that with shift extension but not all because an a4 will lose more hp through the drivetrain.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Regular

Intersting. A lot of people say "why would they put an automatic in that car?" I never understand and when I tell people it is an automatic they seem to look down on my car.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

'Cause they don't know what they're talking about. Many serious dragsters use automatics by choice. Now, if you wanted to go road racing, that's a different story...
Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stalled auto....

<3.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Back in the day the factory automatics were garbage and the standards were always the better choice...some people think this is still true. But now automatics are so much better than back in the day. The computer will shift the car at the same point everytime, so you can be more consistant at the strip...which is good for bracket racing. However if you are going to do autocross standard is the way to go.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:14 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CNTLOSE
However if you are going to do autocross standard is the way to go.
Yeah. I shoulda' waited for an M6; oh well...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

I had a Stalled Auto and it ran really close at the strip, usually my passes were within .07 of each other in ther 1/4 mile. It was really consistant.

An Auto is more street friendly than a Standard, but once you get a decently sized Stall, you lose the ability to play with your mid-range power.

An Auto has the advantage at launching cause with the Standard there is no slip, so if you give it too much, you will burn your tires off.

A good built Auto may stand a chance on the highway, but if you have a Car that's a Standard with some decent power, that will take the highway runs.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Addict

the manuals dont have the advantages they used to. slushboxes have gotten a lot better. many people look down as you say on the autos, cause youre not really "driving" unless you are shifting. personal preference really. i wouldnt trade my manual for anything personally
Old 12-13-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteknight01
Intersting. A lot of people say "why would they put an automatic in that car?" I never understand and when I tell people it is an automatic they seem to look down on my car.
After owning my M6 for over 10 yrs and driving several Auto equipped F-bodies I can say the same thing
" why would anybody want one of these cars with an automatic"

And no I don't look down on automatics, I look down on auto drivers who assume they have the end all and be all trans for racing. All the automatic trans does is make you consistent without requiring any skill. It doesn't make you faster and doesn't make you a better driver. On the street and at the track experience is everything and in my experience a properly driven M6 is very hard to beat. At the track the faster car or one with the quiker ET isn't always the winner it's the one who crosses the line first.
Run one vs the other stock for stock from a 10mph roll (which gives neither an advantage) and see what happens, you may be surprised with the outcome.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=LS1W66;10653574]After owning my M6 for over 10 yrs and driving several Auto equipped F-bodies I can say the same thing
" why would anybody want one of these cars with an automatic"

It doesn't make you faster and doesn't make you a better driver. On the street and at the track experience is everything and in my experience a properly driven M6 is very hard to beat. .[/QUOT

It DOES make you faster on the strip it is simply a fact. Show me a M6 record holder competing against autos??? I have even seen claims about the "fastest T-56 f-body or whatever cause they feel like they have to make that distinction. A properly suspensioned/stalled/geared auto will get down the track quicker than a similarly powered stick car everytime.

How many serious big name racers dou you see with a stick??? OK........

M6 are great fun and I thought about a swap for a long time since I am 95% street but a stall can be fun too just different. And as I said earlier from a roll I give the M6 the edge.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
Run one vs the other stock for stock from a 10mph roll (which gives neither an advantage) and see what happens, you may be surprised with the outcome.
well most people dont stay stock for long. i say stock for stock the M6 would prolly win everytime. stock for stock auto with a stall to even the playing field and it would be damn close. a stall on street tires can be hell to launch. some of my ETs would vary up to a second bc of me trying to launch effectively on street tires. the auto is heavier and sucks more HP from the drivetrain. but with a high enough stall and tires that can hook i think the auto could get an equal M6 off the line and finish slightly ahead with a better ET with the M6 having a slightly better trap speed. M6 do seem to trap higher all else equal. i think a stock stall sucks for performance, it is truely the lesser of the two. but with even a 3600 stall the auto really wakes up. also, the autos break a lot. the M6s seem to break everything else(driveshafts, rears, u joints etc)
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really is personal choice really. i daily drive a stick car and its really lame because im always stuck in traffic, so sometimes its nice to get in my ss and just drive and not have to worry about shifting.

at times i wish i had a manual but it honestly doesnt bother me. im not a racer, im a cruiser
Old 12-13-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

IMO auto ftmfw. It's like was said before, people ask me my question and look down on my car for having it but when you open up a can whoop *** in a lowely automatic you can't help but laugh at the guy who loves rubbing a hard black **** and calls it fun.

... Just teasing, stalled auto for my camaro, i wanna go fast in a realitvely straight line so i don't really need it, leave the insane curves for the vettes.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See that's why I hate threads like this because everyone is always biased towards what they have. In any case my original post was comparing stock to stock. Of coarse a Stalled auto is going to have an advantage but IMO putting a stall in one of these cars makes it too single purpose. If you've ever driven a seriously fast car you realize that their only fun when your toenails are touching the fan blades. To me that's not the most fun esp. when doing anything else with the car becomes a PITA.
I'ts too bad most of you weren't driving these cars back in `98- early 99 when there was NO aftermarket for them. That's where the free mods all came from and it was definetely a fun time. I was running anything and everything and fellow LS1's were the only real challenge, and if you were auto equipped you had a disadvantage.

BTW Big Name Racers who don't use an automatic
Warren Johnson, Jeg Coughlin and anybody running NHRA Pro Stock.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1W66
See that's why I hate threads like this because everyone is always biased towards what they have. In any case my original post was comparing stock to stock. Of coarse a Stalled auto is going to have an advantage but IMO putting a stall in one of these cars makes it too single purpose. If you've ever driven a seriously fast car you realize that their only fun when your toenails are touching the fan blades. To me that's not the most fun esp. when doing anything else with the car becomes a PITA.
I'ts too bad most of you weren't driving these cars back in `98- early 99 when there was NO aftermarket for them. That's where the free mods all came from and it was definetely a fun time. I was running anything and everything and fellow LS1's were the only real challenge, and if you were auto equipped you had a disadvantage.

BTW Big Name Racers who don't use an automatic
Warren Johnson, Jeg Coughlin and anybody running NHRA Pro Stock.
I don't wanna argue cause they both have their place. I know on the street M6 would be way more fun with my suspension. I got the color/miles/ price I wanted so I ended up A4.

As far as the last part of your quote I thought a manuel was required for pro stock but after launch there is no clutch pushing on those 5 speeds. I don't call that a manual by any stretch..... Why are you arguing they are like this Jegs etc.... What is your point...

Last edited by SOMbitch; 12-13-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SOMbitch

As far as the last part of your quote I thought a manuel was required for pro stock but after launch there is no clutch pushing on those 5 speeds. I don't call that a manual by any stretch..... Why are you arguing they are like this Jegs etc.... What is your point...
^^^agreed and agreed. now to the other one
Old 12-13-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

manual= fun on the streets, hiways, downshifts,powershifts,car feels very fast.
auto= doesnt feel as "fun", but is quick,consistent, will nver miss a gear in a race. no excuses, a stalled auto will take out 99% of a equal hp m6 car.period.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

^^Exactly.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
^^^agreed and agreed. now to the other one
^^^I guess we will agree to disagree on this one