Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons to removing AIR/EGR & Headers Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pros/Cons to removing AIR/EGR & Headers Question

Hey all was wondering this for awhile. 01' SS gonna have ARH 1 3/4's soon. Was thinking to remove air/egr first. What's the benefits? will I need headers that have no air/egr in them? Will I need my tuner to delete anything for the loss of air/egr?

Click here to see the headers I want, and what does that note at the bottom mean about emissions fittings etc. Please explain. If it comes w/o air/egr like it says isn't that race style already?
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2348
Old 12-30-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only benefits to removing the AIR/EGR systems are a cleaner looking engine bay... That's it. You do not have EGR on the car if it is a 2001. There are differences in years in regards to the emissions fittings such as the 01-02 models I believe do have AIR injection but do not have the EGR fittings...

If you need to pass emissions then you will need to leave them intact otherwise, strip that **** out of there. You will throw a code for not having it hooked up but it will not have a negative impact on performance. Just have the lights tuned out if it bothers you.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES,RIP IT OUT...and yes that a race style.....A R H HEADERS ARE THE BEST ON MARKET RIGHT NOW..AND KOOKS....DO IT...
Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Only benefits to removing the AIR/EGR systems are a cleaner looking engine bay... That's it. You do not have EGR on the car if it is a 2001. There are differences in years in regards to the emissions fittings such as the 01-02 models I believe do have AIR injection but do not have the EGR fittings...

If you need to pass emissions then you will need to leave them intact otherwise, strip that **** out of there. You will throw a code for not having it hooked up but it will not have a negative impact on performance. Just have the lights tuned out if it bothers you.
just get the codes on the pcm removed. and the people that do emissions in my area don't open your hood and check if you emission stuff is hooked up. they don't even check if you have cats. so as long as you get the codes tuned out you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
just get the codes on the pcm removed. and the people that do emissions in my area don't open your hood and check if you emission stuff is hooked up. they don't even check if you have cats. so as long as you get the codes tuned out you should be fine.
Some area's do a visual check as well. Just because yours doesn't, doesn't mean his doesn't. I would rather not find out the hard way ya know?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there a install guide to taking it out on the 00-02 F-body. I have seen the removal guide for the 98-99 F-body but is it the same? I would like to remove mine and swap my New QTP's for the race style since I havent installed them yet. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...oval-pics.html
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is the one I have seen already. I was thinking the process Might be a bit different due to me having ram air. I think the air lid gets air from the same pump so thats why I was asking if there was a different removal guide.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Some area's do a visual check as well. Just because yours doesn't, doesn't mean his doesn't. I would rather not find out the hard way ya know?
you could talk to the guy and explain you situation give him some chash and you could be on your way.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

you could talk to the guy and explain you situation give him some cash and you could be on your way.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

In that guide he even says the 00-02's are different. So whats different? If I follow that guide what will happen to the hose coming out the side of my airbox. Is that hose attached to the system I would be ripping out?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by D_Rock
In that guide he even says the 00-02's are different. So whats different? If I follow that guide what will happen to the hose coming out the side of my airbox. Is that hose attached to the system I would be ripping out?
Difference is they have no EGR, just AIR. You will pull that hose off when you take out the AIR system just plug it. And you will have to plug some vacume lines too. Like others said, no performance gain but it looks cleaner and you will take some nice weight out with the pump being gone.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons to removing AIR/EGR & Headers Question