Sponsored by:

LID Vs Custom Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:34 PM
EW1
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LID Vs Custom Intake

I went to PEP boys the other day and saw an few aluminum pieces and filters by a company to build your own intake. I was thinking about doing this because on the display, they had an 01 SS with a Y sliptting two intake pipes from the MAF going towards the fenders then forward by the headlights with filters placed by the hood latch. They also had intake tubing to get air from the grill. I know it would cost a little bit more than a lid but it sure looks trick. I could probably build a simple single filter set up for the price of a lid and filter, but it is hard to decide. Also If anyone has done such a set up, please post some pics. I like how an engine sounds (whistling) when it is breathing through those cone filters and was wondering if you get the same from a lid.

Also If anyone has done such a set up, please post some pics. to give me some ideas.

Here is the picture:
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EW1
I went to PEP boys the other day and saw an few aluminum pieces and filters by a company to build your own intake. I was thinking about doing this because on the display, they had an 01 SS with a Y sliptting two intake pipes from the MAF going towards the fenders then forward by the headlights with filters placed by the hood latch. They also had intake tubing to get air from the grill. I know it would cost a little bit more than a lid but it sure looks trick. I could probably build a simple single filter set up for the price of a lid and filter, but it is hard to decide. Also If anyone has done such a set up, please post some pics. I like how an engine sounds (whistling) when it is breathing through those cone filters and was wondering if you get the same from a lid.

Also If anyone has done such a set up, please post some pics. to give me some ideas.

Here is the picture:
that intake shown would suck
Old 01-02-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that would disrupt air flow.
-Matt
Old 01-02-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the ugliest engine bay possible....maybe take out everything from the stock airbox and run a single tube with an open element filter down low, but honestly....

Fast toys and their ram air kit is proven and much cleaner looking IMO
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't like the idea of having the air that goes in to the engine travel threw that much tubing. (unless you are FI) i am sure the hp gains would be better with a lid.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems to me, that a fair amount of research and development went into designing the lids and filters for our cars. I have a friend with a 2000 ss that he took his ftp lid and slp maf off of and he put a conical filter on the end of his smooth bellows and his factory maf. He seemed to think it helped, but to be honest, I think it looks funny and doesn't give him any gains. That's just my $.02 though.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

with all those bends in the pipes i cant see how it would flow good
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

ill stick with my k&n fipk even though after i bought it i saw all the posts on here for lids and how good they are compared to what i got
Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i think i will stick with my slp lid. i would consider one day to maybe do a ftra or some other type.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen that kit. It looks weird, the filters aren't even the end of the tubing. They have more tubing that comes out so the air actually comes from under the car. You can see the tubing coming out of the filter in the picture the OP posted.