New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreening MAF question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found **** in my MAF screen when I installed my lid. Not worth it IMHO, and I doubt that would give you even 3-4 hp. Some things GM did didn't make a lot of sense, but some things are there for a reason.

Still, many have done it without problems, so do what you wish.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did it... SES light came on... $150 later... one ruined aftermarket MAF and one OEM installed. just threw one in from autozone after the old one got ruined. i wont do it again. too many other things you can tinker with to gain HP. do the bump stop mod if you wanna gain some HP. ive heard lots of good thinngs about that. its real hard to ruin anything too.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the whole thing about being careful with an auto trans is very true. the same principle applies to putting on an aftermarket TB with no tuning. basically the computer is reading a different amount of air is coming into the engine. usually it interprets it as the engine isnt working very hard. so it bumps the line pressure in the trans down, even though you may be flooring it. thats what causes the trans to fail
Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with several other people that have said it's not worth it. I pulled mine out awhile back and found two bugs and some other crap stuck in the screen. I don't think it's worth it especially on ram air applications.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the whole thing about being careful with an auto trans is very true. the same principle applies to putting on an aftermarket TB with no tuning. basically the computer is reading a different amount of air is coming into the engine. usually it interprets it as the engine isnt working very hard. so it bumps the line pressure in the trans down, even though you may be flooring it. thats what causes the trans to fail
thats kinda speculating a bit to say a MAF being descreened and/or ported could be the direct cause of a tranny failure dont ya think. I mean nobody is talking about TBs here either.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
thats kinda speculating a bit to say a MAF being descreened and/or ported could be the direct cause of a tranny failure dont ya think. I mean nobody is talking about TBs here either.
nobody was suggesting that descreening a maf would cause transmission failure.
if you port the MAF or your TPS voltage is thrown off as a result of a bad TB port job, you can have problems.
if TPS and/or MAF sensor readings are skewed and the tranny then turns suicidal in response, what does your insight determine the cause to be?

just do a search in the automatic section and you'll find a crapton of threads where MAF or TPS issues screw with the tranny.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
read the stickys in the auto trans section, you will see what i mean
Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69camaross
ONLY DESCREEN YOUR MAF IF............... YOU NEVER PLAN TO TUNE YOUR CAR. A descreened MAF is a hell of a lot harder to accurately tune than a stock one with a screen.

Also you won't notice it but almost all LT1s and LS1s that descreen end up running richer than they should. You'll see it on your tail pipes.

Descreening a MAF is an old trick from the TPI days when the computers weren't as sensitive as OBD1 and OBD 2 and the 85-89 Bosch MAFs had thick screens on both ends. A LT1 or LS1 MAF screen doesn't inhibit air flow so don't mess with it.

EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!

I had a Ls1 trans am and feel victim to the internet myph that descreening your maf gains your hp. You know what it got me with headers, lid and exahaust? How about 270whp with all those mods. I had a clear a lid so when I went to go get tuned and pulled on the dyno my tunner saw the descreened maf and the first thing he said to me was "dude you f'ed yourself, you took the screens out" sure enough we baselined the car and got 272 whp. Luckily a friend was there who had the same car so for comparrason sake we took his screened one and put it in my car on the dyno and dynoed 314hp WITH SCREENS I was loosing nearly 40 whp with my descreened maf. You can all believe you what you want to but it was proven on a dyno with 20 people to witness. I personally will never do or reccomend descreening a maf.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Nothing bad will happen. Go ahead and take it off.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redsap05
EVERYONE LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!

I had a Ls1 trans am and feel victim to the internet myph that descreening your maf gains your hp. You know what it got me with headers, lid and exahaust? How about 270whp with all those mods. I had a clear a lid so when I went to go get tuned and pulled on the dyno my tunner saw the descreened maf and the first thing he said to me was "dude you f'ed yourself, you took the screens out" sure enough we baselined the car and got 272 whp. Luckily a friend was there who had the same car so for comparrason sake we took his screened one and put it in my car on the dyno and dynoed 314hp WITH SCREENS I was loosing nearly 40 whp with my descreened maf. You can all believe you what you want to but it was proven on a dyno with 20 people to witness. I personally will never do or reccomend descreening a maf.

i'm not questioning the validity of your statement, but is there a possibility that your maf was toast before you descreened it??... 40hp seems a little overkill to me... and was the new maf put on before or after the tune was done?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I descreened my MAF. After I did that, I felt a little difference in throttle response.
No SES light came on. Up to this date, no problem what so ever. I even did the free ram air and my filter doesnt even get dirty. I guess it depends where you live, or where you drive too you know. but no problems for me. Just go for it. I guess all you would feel is a little throttle response.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've been told by a reputable tuner that descreened MAFs under report airflow by roughly 10%
Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a grantelli maf on my car which I believe comes descreened. I put a stocker on it and took the screen out. Alot of people will argue leave it on. One guy had a pic of a giant leaf or something that was caught in his due to the screen but come on. How did it pass through the air filter! Ohh thats right... He probably was at the track and pulled the filter out and forgot about it.

As unit213 said Take that bitch off
Old 11-25-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

for all of you that say it dont work i believe i read corvettes come from the factory with a descreened maf
Old 11-25-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SScamaro4
for all of you that say it dont work i believe i read corvettes come from the factory with a descreened maf
Only the Z06, and that MAF was DESIGNED to operate WITHOUT A SCREEN. Unlike the regular MAF which was DESIGNED to operate WITH A SCREEN.

You guys go ahead and remove that screen, just don't EVER EVER EVER attempt to tune your car when you start modding it beyond stock as it will be a crap shoot for even the best tuner to get you any where near optimal results.

But go ahead, these guys did it to their cars just like some of them run 4 qts of oil and others run the wrong offset wheels.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

ive never had any problems with mine and i had and ls6 in my camaro
Old 11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

If you descreen your maf you have adjust your tune for it. So it CAN be fine, but only if you correct for it in your tune. It doesn't gain you anything but more problems, its a internet myph plain and simple.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

i wouldn't do it, whats the point?!? to gain MAYBE 1hp?! and risk the MAF sensor going out early for some reason? not worth it.

Quick Reply: Descreening MAF question?