New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Moves During throttle...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Shifter Moves During throttle...

just so happened i look down the other day as i slightly gassed my 98 m6 z28 and i noticed that the shifter moves a little and i always wondered if i had a broken tranny mount or what...

i lifted up my car and put a jack under the tranny and lifted it up and there was no play in the tranny mount....

i was wonder if it could be anything else or is my car not the only one that does this...

btw it has some short throw shifter , i forgot which one though
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My shifter moves too... torque. As long as the the trany mount is in good shape and there is no major movement from underneath your good to go.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Teching In

ok thanks man ...just never noticed it before thought i had a problem
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to remove the mount and inspect it.
The same situation happened to me and the trans mount was torn all the way across. the culprit was a bad left motor mount.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^yep, the only way to truly see if its bad is to take it out and inspect it, if the shifter moves up more then 1/2" the tranny mount is probably gone, but the good news is that a poly mount is pretty cheap
Old 03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

yea i need to replace mine, is it easy to do??? i heard all u do is use a jack to hold the tranny up and then take it out and replace is that right??
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

Go to www.installuniversity.com for instructions and torque specs. If you get a poly mount only get a Prothane. There quieter, way stronger. The energy suspension one's aren't a direct replacement for our cars. I tried one and the vibration was horrible and it twisted almost in half torqueing it down. One thing with the Prothane is get a better bolt for it. The studs that come with it snap at not even close to the torque spec.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

I know that it is a pain but if you go ploy with your trans mount it would be wise to do the engine mounts too. I beleive that the stiffness of the ploy trans mount causes the motor mount to wear out faster or move more. I have ran a poly trans mount in my lt1 for a while and found out that it wore out my engine mounts. I replace the engine mounts with poly and it feels much better now. btw trim the excessive ploy on the top of the mount it helps cut out some vibration.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt install a poly tranny mount with rubber motor mounts. youll end up breaking something. you want either poly motor/rubber tranny or poly motor/poly tranny.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
STG
Staging Lane

Check out the shifter in this viper. Bounces all around and torques to the sides as he turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inO-F5mbtKw

That was somewhat on topic.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
i wouldnt install a poly tranny mount with rubber motor mounts. youll end up breaking something. you want either poly motor/rubber tranny or poly motor/poly tranny.
i have agreed before and i will agree again.....
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Teching In

how big of a task is it changing motor mounts?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

i just did my 1995 LT1 a couple of months ago. i had a lift and air tools and it still took a while. my main problem was finding a good location to lift the engine on one side. i used a 2x4 and jacked it up on the oil pan. pulling the long bolt can be a pain too if you don't relieve the pressure on the bolt. i used 2- 1/4 inch rachet extension to hit it out of the mount. to take of the mount one side you take off the k-member the other off the engine. you then have what the call the clamshell. grind the ribbets and i used a press to push out the rest of the ribbet. the poly kit came with zip ties???? wtf??? so i used bolts and nuts to hold the mount together. i had to drill out the holes a bit to fit something decent in there. when you get the clamshell back together sdo yourself a favor and ream the holes out just a little bit on the mount holes. it will make it easier to line up. then all you have to do is put it back in there and bolt it up. cost:60 bucks time:i ran into some issues so 5-6 hrs time that it could of been done without issues and beer?? 3-4 hours. how's it perform: i notice that the car feels more firm and the shifter *** doesn't move as much. the ride seems normal maybe slightly more vibartions but defenitly worth it.