New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a nightmare - (PLEASE READ)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, your engine is probably shot and if you continue to drive it you will not be able to salvage any parts off of it.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i feel bad for the car
Old 03-28-2009, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably hurt the main and rod bearings. Now there is excessive resistance causing a loss of power.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Resident

Is everything ok in it? Like is there enough oil in it. Is your oil pan in right? And please help me if you started this because of what I'm about to say but did you or your mechanic put regular octane in it? My car runs like **** on 87.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobra R
Probably hurt the main and rod bearings. Now there is excessive resistance causing a loss of power.
I'm with him. A compression check only proves that your rings are still OK. You have compression, but I bet the bearings in the bottom end are shot. Maybe have damaged the cam also, its hard to tell. A lot of things could be terribly wrong.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Like everyone has told you, a compression check will only tell you about the top end(rings, cylinders, valves). Running without oil will damage the lower end(rod and crank bearingsand crankshaft) and possibly the oil pump, camshaft and cam bearings first. These are the parts you need to have checked. The "mechanic" who replaced your oil pan should have inspected the crank and bearings while the oil pan was off. It would have only taken a short time and you would know if they were damaged. If you don't want to believe everyone then keep driving your car and see what happens. The low power could be caused by cam damage due to lack of lubrication.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

I have already given my $.02 The hilarious thing is that all of his questions have been addressed by myself and other people in his previous thread. So this leads me to believe he isn't really looking for an answer, but more or less vindication for his idea that it's going to be a simple, and cheap repair.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 AM
Teching In

yeah. im really goin with hurt valve train or lower end. Bent pushrod, bad cam or rod bearing... park it.. tear it down. fix what you find
Old 03-30-2009, 04:49 AM
12 Second Club

I bet you i can fill the bastard with sand and still have greater than or equal to compression.

Get it ripped out and rebuilt and dear god if you hit something stop and check for leaks.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

If you have comp coverage on your insurance you should talk to your insurance agent to see if the damage is covered since this was an accident on a public road. You might get them to pay for a new engine.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Just throwing this out there to help:

When you drove this mother til it ran out of oil what temp reading were you getting? Is it possible he warped something?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'm still going with the mechanic just put 87 in it. No wait check that I'm going with a bearing somewhere in your motor is F'd up...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM

Default Sometimes some people just amaze me

Was sacrificing your motor worth lowering the car and negligent driving? and also trying to start it again? how do you not notice taking a chunk out of your oil pan? the best thing to do in this situation is to sell the ride and maybe get something more deserving of your driving habits, lets say a honda perhaps?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe you got some bad gas. Drain your tank and see if putting new gas in makes it run better.

YOU DROVE YOUR CAR WITHOUT OIL. I wouldn't drive my car without oil for 2 seconds, let alone 3 minutes. Quit looking for a cheap fix because you're not going to find one. Find a reputable shop to pull the engine apart and have it checked out. And quit driving it for god sakes, get it towed to a shop.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM
Launching!

I'll try to keep the words as small as possible to clear up any confusion. Motor hosed. Bent pushrods, heads hosed. Most likely there are valves sticking or not opening all the way because of bent pushrods. You might even be that lucky guy driving on dropped valves, who knows...either way, you're lookin at a rebuild.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Definitely contact your insurance co if you have comprehensive. Have them spec and approve the cost to have a rebuilt engine put in, then have it rebuilt by a good speed shop with a forged assembly, good cam, etc.

Take the lemon and make some lemonade.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ran the motor with no oil?

YOU'RE ENGINE IS MORE THAN LIKELY SHOT DUDE.

No cheap fix for that. You're in for a new motor, either replacement or rebuild. Deal with it. And be more careful next time.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lincolnmkv
Definitely contact your insurance co if you have comprehensive. Have them spec and approve the cost to have a rebuilt engine put in, then have it rebuilt by a good speed shop with a forged assembly, good cam, etc.

Take the lemon and make some lemonade.

Comprehensive coverage will not pay for a new motor! Read your policy! The guy ran his car w/o oil.......
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
Comprehensive coverage will not pay for a new motor! Read your policy! The guy ran his car w/o oil.......
I agree, since he failed to have it towed immediately after hitting the oil pan. Out of curosity, would comprehensive coverage pay if he had it towed on the spot? The only reason I ask is bc I believe you said previously your an agent.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

All I can say about this thread is WOW!!! LOL! And for the record the guys on here are completely correct. I worked for a GM dealer for 4 yrs and usually in a situation like this, people have either a bent rod or cam damage, and yes you can still have normal compression readings. Just pull the engine and have it gone through. Trust me, or sell it and be sure you disclose the engine damage to the buyer!