Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Trans Am Headlight Door bangs hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Trans Am Headlight Door bangs hood

I have an '02 Trans Am and the passenger headlight door bangs the hood when it opens due to a broken bracket where the headlight door is tightened to the headlight assembly. I have tried searching for the part, but I can't seem to figure out what part I need. Does anyone know how the assembly holds the headlight door on and what part I might need? Do I need a whole new assembly or is there just some bracket that I might need?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 03-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Teching In

So, i removed the plastic piece that sits around the lights so that i could get a better look at what was broken. It appears the plastic bracket that goes around the lights and attaches to the top door is broken at one of the screws (left side of passenger light if looking directly at hood from front of car). Is this the assembly? Does anyone know if i can get a replacement for this relatively cheaply?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Go in to the GM parts and have the partsman show you the headlite assembly, and politely ask him to print you off the page of the exploded diagram. Go to the wreckers and see if they have the part.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Teching In

i will do that... thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

You need the headlight bucket. Been there, done that. As far as I know, the only way to get a new one is to buy the whole headlight assy. ~650 bucks from the dealer. I fixed mine with some aluminum sheet and pop rivets. Looks fugly, but you can't see it and it worked.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Yeah, that sounds right. I was able to use epoxy to put it back together... we will see how long it lasts. Hopefully it will last long enough for me to get down to the junkyard! I am curious though how you managed to fix this with aluminum sheeting and pop rivets... that is pretty impressive!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

I fixed mine with different epoxies as well, 3 times. Basically, I just cut a strip of aluminum sheet and molded it around the broken area. Then drilled a hole to pop rivet it in place and drilled out the hole for the screw. Haven't had to mess with it since.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Great idea... i think i will try that when the epoxy lets go! Thanks for sharing that solution!!

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am Headlight Door bangs hood