New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

223,XXX miles and still strong...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 223,XXX miles and still strong...

So I purchased this 2002 Camaro SS SLP Edition from this guy. He's been the only owner. He used to be a Cop and turned his SS into a cruiser. Being in Texas, there's a LOT of highway...

Anyways, this Sum' Bitch has 223,XXX miles on it and it has NEVER had a rebuild. Just constant oil changes, proper engine control and the occasional WOT. The car is also in great condition, apart from the dent on the driver side and a gash on the passenger side bumper. Also, there's a huge gap between the bumper and the hood. It kinda bothers me, but there are other things that need more attention.

Isn't this the best example of what the LS1 is capable of? I mean, wow... NEVER, had a rebuild. The Transmission is showing hardcore signs of needing a rebuild. The flywheel, the Clutch Master Cylinder, and the gates are all totally worn. One of the first major reworks I have to do.

I guess my question is, what should I do... Baby the engine some, make sure it runs great and save a few thousand, then go out and buy a Crate.

OR, should I just dish out the cash for a block rebuild, then pick up new heads and new induction system (ie. TB, 92MM Manifold, etc.)?

I've already budgeted for a new exhaust. There's a leak in the stock one and it's slowly giving me cancer blowing into my Air Vents. (Ugh!) So yeah, saving up for quite possibly SLP system. I just wish the stupid **** wasn't so damned expensive. I would rather have just new headers, Cats, then straight pipe. But, w/e...

Also, there are still strobe lights in my headlights. As for the tail lights, the strobe lights were SO powerful, they MELTED the plastic. I'll post pics later, but yeah. Like wow.

So yeah, thoughts, comments, lay 'em on me!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope you either like working on the car or you got a killer deal. You have to tell us what your goals are. If you got the car for a good enough deal than throw a 12 bolt or 9" under it, rebuild the motor and do a 400+ stroker motor based off a 6.0L truck block. So really it depends what your plans and price range are. My comments are hopefully you got the car really cheap and have the mechanical ability to do the work yourself. Or if you are happy with the way the thing runs right now just run her till she blows!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Like the guy above said, I hope you got a really good deal on it.

Welcome to LS1tech and congratulations on the purcahase. My friends 01 Z28 has over 240,000 on it and runs 13.6 all stock at the track....just to give you an idea of how tought these things are.
His transmission is just about as shot as yours though but still they have held up very well. He paid 4k for it middle of last year.

Before I would start buying things, look around on here and check out the sponsors and product reviews. You could find really nice built motors for less than some crate motors.
Let the modding begin!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

I would be worried with that many miles. Sure it's a testament to how well put together these motors are, and how long they can last as long as they are maintained-But it's a ticking time bomb. Save on the crate engine and rebuild yours-Just make sure you know what your goals are before you start buying parts (forced induction, nitrous, all motor?) And word of advice, steer clear of anything exhaust related to SLP.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the welcome SlOW30th-TA. As for my goals Nitroused, it's kind of hard to say. I mean, I love how it's fast right now for being how old and high mileage it is. But, I'd like to stay on a budget. Most people tell me to rebuild, but then that usually costs what, 3-4 grand? From the prices I've been looking at on 402 Crate engines around here, I could pretty must spend that 4K on a brand new engine built for 700+ HP. Right? But then again, I'm not well versed in the art of engine building or car modification for that matter. I'm a mere computer nerd. I couldn't even tell you guys were the engine mounts are... Well, maybe if I looked for them.

So yeah, take it to a shop, have them rebuild the block and throw new heads on. I've spent around 1.5K on parts and 2.5K on labor, right? Also, transmission is still great right now, but it does grind one 1st and 4th gear, strange... Also, if I go WOT and hit 5.5K RPM and even bounce just ONCE on the Rev Limiter, the clutch will stay down and I have to manually stick my foot under the clutch to pop it out. Kind of annoying, but this is why I shift at 5.3K.

Anyways, I forgot what I was talking about.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't mind me asking, how much you pay for it? You dont have to answer if u dont want
Old 04-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Well, just between me and you guys, I purchased it for $4,000. The guy was getting rid of it, he needed the money by Wednesday. He needed to put a down payment on his BMW. He was going to trade it in to the dealer for 3.5K, but instead he sold me to me because he knew I would take real good care of it. So yeah...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Here's a link to my Car Domain.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3247252
Old 04-03-2009, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $4000.. I think thats a pretty good buy! a 2002 SS, especially for a m6. It also looks really clean and in great shape! It's easy to verify those are all highway miles LOL. Can you show a picture of the front of the car.. out of curiosity, I've always wonder what 200k of highway bug splatter looked like
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Launching!

From just that one shot of the car, it looks great. Coming from experience, and I could probably speak on behalf of ITSNOTSTOCK too , define your goals for the car first before you start buying parts. I don't know how much money I have spent on parts and then turned around and sold them for half of what I bought them for bc I changed my set up.

With the 402, you will not see 700hp unless you have some sort of Power Adder....nitrous, turbo, or super charger.

If you are willing to learn and have the basic mechanic knowledge then this website can definately be a resource for any modifications. If not, save up and take your car to a reputable shop, Texas speed is not to far from you. If you want something to just play around in I would stick with a 347 ( you dont even have to forge it for that matter), with decent heads and cam, long tubes, exhaust, sub frame connectors, motor mounts, your car looks lowered already so some decent shocks and then enjoy it. Total of parts listed range from $5-8K right there...no labor $$$.....and you still need a trans rebuild and clutch with Hydraulics...atleast 2K (Ticks Performance is grade A for T56 rebuilds).

This is an expensive hobby.....be smart about it and enjoy.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Eh, I forgot to mention that, that on Car Domain isn't exactly mine. It's got Cali Plates on it, but it's a very similar looking car. I mean, the only difference from that car and mine is that my CME tips aren't as shiny and there's a dent on the driver side.

:p Other than that, the car looks really clean all around.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

welcome to the board!! If I was in your shoes heres what I'd do. find a lq9 (truck engine 6.0l) you can pick them up for under 1k with really low miles. put a mild cam in it,valve springs,pushrods, long tube headers, cat back/duals. get the tranny rebuilt . but before you do all that read,read, read . read all the stickies, check out some of the write ups,buy some tools. start doing minor repairs while stock piling parts. ball joints,suspension,changing fluids. then I would just man up and try the swap. it's by far the cheapest route, you will learn all about your car, you wont take all the hard work for granted. best part is you could buy all the parts and even have the tranny rebuilt for under 5k. a cammed 6.0 will make 450 easy,with bolt ons an tune.

that is unless you have no worries about money and what to go straight to a shop. in that case be ready to drop an easy 10k on rebuilding everything and havingthem do all the swapping.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the Welcome needaz28.

I didn't know LQ9's were that cheap... They fit right in there? I mean, if it's a truck engine... wha? All of that sounds really good so far. I have a lot of friends who have all kinds of tools too. It's just getting them to possibly help me try and do it. Also, since this is my daily driver, I would have to leave this down for a good week or so which is kinda/sorta bad for me. I'd have to like rent a vehicle or something, I guess.

I do need to get this Transmission Rebuilt. It keeps locking me out of 3rd past 5.6K RPM. It's kind of annoying to HIT the 3rd gate only to have it not open up to let me in. I rarely go WOT, but when morons drive really slow or just plain idiotic here in Houston, you kind of have to drive aggressively.

Anyways, thanks for the comments!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a lot of miles! I really hope mine will make it to see 200k miles, right now it has 125k and still seems to pull strong. If it was mine I would drive it until she blows, unless you just happen to have extra cash laying around.