Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noob straight pipes question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noob straight pipes question

I know this is probably a dumb question and yes I have looked at the thread telling me all about the straight pipe setup, but I didn't see this come up anywhere. Now when i hear "straight pipes" I tend to think pipes strait back from the headers without much bending and they never connect together like with an X or H pipe for example. Do you have to have a connecting piece when you do this? I have personally never seen this setup and wonder why not. I know ground clearance is probably the reason why, but I just want to know for sure.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could put extenions on your headers and call it a day. This will be so loud you might as well take the radio out of the car. The x or h pipe will get you more power due to the scavaging effect.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

when i had turn downs coming off my headers it was super loud and made everything in the car shake. i have just a ypipe on there now and its not bad. id imagine if u had 2-3 feet of pipe coming off ur header its not going to be that bad, but it will have to be bent for best fitment. and straight pipes means straight through, no cats no muffs no res
Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by conan
You could put extenions on your headers and call it a day. This will be so loud you might as well take the radio out of the car. The x or h pipe will get you more power due to the scavaging effect.

Thanks for the info. What is the scavaging effect?

when i had turn downs coming off my headers it was super loud and made everything in the car shake. i have just a ypipe on there now and its not bad. id imagine if u had 2-3 feet of pipe coming off ur header its not going to be that bad, but it will have to be bent for best fitment. and straight pipes means straight through, no cats no muffs no res
Is it possible to have literally "straight pipes" that go under the axle and don't bend at all to increase air flow? Actually now that I think about it thats really just extended open headers. I dunno just thinking out loud.

Last edited by goatfishbird; 04-05-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

scavaging is when the pulses in the exhaust actually help pull the exhaust out of the cylinder. Can I ask why you would want strait pipes? The sounds like ***. If you get a high quality muffler if will sounds 1000x better and will have little to no restriction.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99345hp
scavaging is when the pulses in the exhaust actually help pull the exhaust out of the cylinder. Can I ask why you would want strait pipes? The sounds like ***. If you get a high quality muffler if will sounds 1000x better and will have little to no restriction.

I don't really want them, just doing a little research so I get an idea of what I want to do in the future. I don't even have an ls1 yet, I'll start looking seriously for a camaro or trans am when summer gets here.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

u couldnt have strait pipes for the simple fact that as soon as ur rear end moved down after say a hill or bump it would hit ur exhaust. u have to have a bend or stop it before the axle
Old 04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea as someone said, straight pipes means just pipe, no mufflers or cats. Not literally "straight" lol.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Yea as someone said, straight pipes means just pipe, no mufflers or cats. Not literally "straight" lol.
agreed and it sounds like complete ****, unless you rock a mullet or a rebel flag put some mufflers on the car or at least just dump after the headers (which still doesn't really sound good but its loud as **** if that's what you're after)
Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
I kind of expected this response lol. I was just philosiphising, thinking that less bends = more air flow, less restriction and possibly more horsepower.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

any decent exhaust isn't going to be very restrictive regardless of whether it has 2 or 3 bends
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are concerned about restriction get a TSP Rumbler
Old 04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

TSP x pipe true duals for the win. I want them, but will have to fab up other stuff....not in the budget at this time. But scavenging is a plus...plus, sound and less cabin noise also. If you don't want any exhaust, just turn downs off the headers...thats it. But what you said about less bends is less restriction is true...but any quality exhaust/muffler wont be too restrictive.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out this link. I have this on my car and it pretty much sounds like straight pipes but 100x better. It doesnt "Cackle" when you decelerate like straight pipes do (you know how they tend to sound like someone is shooting at you) this is more smooth but still loud as hell. My personal opinion you want a few bends in your exhaust to help with backpressure. It runs like crap if you dont have enough. This exhaust system has just the right amount of backpressure, not to much but just enough.....Check it out.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=196&catid=56
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

yea man honestly, i took off my cat-back, still had a y pipe and high flow cats and the car felt noticably slower, you want somethin