New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans go shift kit going to make my car chirp second?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans go shift kit going to make my car chirp second?????

i orderd a trans go shift kit for my 98 trans am.....i got a engine and trans from a 02 ws6 in it....i only got exhuast lid and this shift kit i wonder if its ganna make a difference in shifting or is it just gimicks let me kno i wanna adleast chirp second in this thing thanks alot
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hum, my car would chirp 2nd hard when it was stock... yeah, its going to make your shifts a lot more harder and rock you around a little more..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

so its ganna rock my world huh????? how is it performance wise is it ganna make a differnce???????
Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
hum, my car would chirp 2nd hard when it was stock... yeah, its going to make your shifts a lot more harder and rock you around a little more..
LOL, I was just about to say that! I could spin half way through 3rd with street tires....now on DR's its a tiny chirp, and a whole lot of hooking up!...and with the trans-go, it's even more fun!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

When my car was bone stock I put a B&M shift kit in it, it would bark second after that. I think it helped my transmission last longer too. I bought my car with a slipping trans @ 70k miles and just replaced it @ 120k miles, and I give it hell too!

Oh yeah...and I could tell a little SOTP's difference.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably more about the rear end gearing and
converter, than any shift kit. At WOT you should
be full line pressure anyway and not see much from
a shift kit.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by colby72olds
When my car was bone stock I put a B&M shift kit in it, it would bark second after that. I think it helped my transmission last longer too. I bought my car with a slipping trans @ 70k miles and just replaced it @ 120k miles, and I give it hell too!

Oh yeah...and I could tell a little SOTP's difference.
Sorry for hijacking, but can someone tell me what SOTP stands for? Thanks.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
a shift kit.

True about the line pressure, but the shift kit not only makes it shift harder but FASTER as well. Quicker shifts also help the tranny last longer as it is not slipping between gear changes like they come from the factory...smoother shifts= more slipping/less life.

IZRED,
SOTP = Seat Of The Pants
Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i shift my car all the time now that i have a trans go. drop a gear from a slow roll and listen to your revs go up. if you have LTs it sounds intimidating. if you have gears and a TC your car will rocket from a stop if you hold first.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock my car chirped. now it doesnt have traction, it felt cooler when it chirped. lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

i say dont do it.. waste of money .. if anything get a superservo.. works good..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
a shift kit.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Not really related, but this is how I get my 6m to chirp 2nd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhL_I6sPBMs
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine will spin into 2nd sometimes, but I've never heard my street radials or drag radials make noise regardless..
Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Mine will spin into 2nd sometimes, but I've never heard my street radials or drag radials make noise regardless..
Same here. I've never chirpped second ever. It's just not something a lot of autos are gonna do. But I do like the way my car shifts fast and smooth into second

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...The_187519.htm
Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nightmare23
i say dont do it.. waste of money .. if anything get a superservo.. works good..
I did a B&M kit about 3 years ago, I love it and it will cherp 2nd all the time. As far as not worth it and a waste of money I lost .1 to .15 off my 1/8th mile time just from the kit. Just make sure you take it to the highest level the kit offers you will love it, except when your cruising it will shift 2nd really hard and it kinda gets old after a while.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Same here. I've never chirpped second ever. It's just not something a lot of autos are gonna do. But I do like the way my car shifts fast and smooth into second

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...The_187519.htm
I have an auto with no shift kit. I'm on street tires and only have full exhaust and a basic tune. I can chirp the tires with no problem, without manually shifting, keeping it in overdrive. It has a lot to do with my basic tune. I got my tune from EPS {Engine Power Systems}. It's one of the newer sponsors on here. Geoff is a great guy, he's the co-founder of Thunder Racing.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
11 Second Club

well mine doesnt chirp... my car spins drag radials all of first and hooks half of second
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IZRED
I have an auto with no shift kit. I'm on street tires and only have full exhaust and a basic tune. I can chirp the tires with no problem, without manually shifting, keeping it in overdrive. It has a lot to do with my basic tune. I got my tune from EPS {Engine Power Systems}. It's one of the newer sponsors on here. Geoff is a great guy, he's the co-founder of Thunder Racing.
I have a tune from New Era Performance who is a long time sponsor here. I don't think the tune has anything to do with it. I think it's more the tires and power level. I've had BFG KDWS, Nitto 555R's and MT street radials.

I have a few friends with auto ls1's and thiers never chirp either. Everyone I have seen run down the track that did chirp second was a manual. My point is that while it apparently has happened it's also normal for it not to.

Anyone who clicks my video can see even with a stage 3 4L60E (that includes a shift kit) I can't chirp my tires. But then again, I don't want to because I want a clean run with 100% traction for max ET.

But that's just me.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I have a tune from New Era Performance who is a long time sponsor here. I don't think the tune has anything to do with it. I think it's more the tires and power level. I've had BFG KDWS, Nitto 555R's and MT street radials.

I have a few friends with auto ls1's and thiers never chirp either. Everyone I have seen run down the track that did chirp second was a manual. My point is that while it apparently has happened it's also normal for it not to.

Anyone who clicks my video can see even with a stage 3 4L60E (that includes a shift kit) I can't chirp my tires. But then again, I don't want to because I want a clean run with 100% traction for max ET.

But that's just me.
My tune is the reason why mine chirps into second. Before the tune, it didn't chirp into second any. You are right about the tires, I have Sumitomos, good quality and long lasting, but the traction is not the greatest. Traction isn't an issue with me. It is with you, because you go to the track. To get the lowest quarter mile time, you need to hook up best as possible. So I can understand you not wanting it to chirp or spin. I wish I could go to the track, but I'm too broke to replace parts.

Quick Reply: Trans go shift kit going to make my car chirp second?????