Sponsored by:

Need Dynoproven Mods For 02

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Dynoproven Mods For 02

HOLA MI LS1 AMIGOS,
I am looking for DYNOPROVEN boltons for my 02 SS. I have done a lot of suspension work, but now need more power. Only HP increase I have done, was FIPK kit, which yielded 22 HP increase on Dyno (307 to 329) -- same day, 1 hour later. For only $350, cheapest 22 HP available, I think.

PLEASE help me out with a few ideas: Granatelli MAF??? Magnaflow exhaust, or is the 02 SS exhaust less restrictive than the 98-99 SS? Cutout for stock exhaust? 160 T-stat? Thanks for any and all DYNOPROVEN ideas.....(I want to keep factory warranty intact for 1 more year...then head/cam/headers)
Old 10-31-2003, 01:39 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the stock MAF.
Get a cutout.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well without heads, cam, headers what fun is that?

i guess you could try things like a cut out, pulley, ported TB, ect. and SouthFL.02.ss is right, keep the stock maf and keep it screened.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

KEEEEEEEEP IT SCREENED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If I didn't butcher it on the take out, it would be in. I am in the process of finding one in Tampa. Port the TB, get exhaust, and get a nice Torque Converter if its an A4. These are all proven to hop the hp real nice( NOT FLOWDISASTER). Don't know about the claim on the FIPK, is that to the wheels on what type of dyno, and do you have a Manual or Automatic? If your claims are real I want to see the numbers, and I'm next on the list for a FIPK.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

If you do the pullys and what not tell me how it goes, I'm thinking about trying it myself. Don't mean to discredit you on the FIPK, just want proof because I'm am interestd.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Launching!

FIPK, what is it, does one of the sponsors sell 'em, or a link so i can check it out? thanks
Old 10-31-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its the kn intake. i believe thunder and tybrne have it.

i descreened my maf and my car loves it. stay away from ported maf ends though. ive heard of many,many bad experiences on 01 and 02 cars. they also interfere with pcm programming from what ive heard.
heres a list to get you started:
asp underdrive pully
ported throttle body
cutout or a very unrestrictive catback
if its a m6 the drill mod(free)
throttle body coolant line bybass(almost free)
a dyo tune to squeak out some more ponies or a proggrammer like the predator(no way should you get the hpp3!)
or put that sucker on the bottle and run a 100 shot with no problems at all! hehehe
good luck im sure some one else will add some more.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

As for the 100 shot of laughing gas, that isn't entirely true. If you do go nitrous, change the plugs, change the oil 3,000 or less miles, synthetic or not. Ask in the nitrous section for some more, but 100 shot problem free is an under statement at best. I have heard of local LS1 puken' the NAWWZ up, and that was with a 75-150 shot. I personaly would never use the stuff unless I built the motor to specificly not be tickleish but hey it's your choice. I will say this though, alot of people run nitrous on stock motor safe but there are the few that have the bad experiences. Like I said go to the NO2 section, and learn alot. These guys know exactly what to do because the LS1 craves it and loves it.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wasnt trying to steer him wrong. your right about the plugs. and maybey pull 2-3* of timing. our fuel system is capable of handling a 100 dry shot pretty easily. yes you do want the saftey equipment(fuel preasure shut of, window switch if its an m6) but for the most part a 100 dry is safe to go. me personally if i cant do my turbo im going on the gas. wet shots scare me. putting fuel through the plastic intake doesnt sit right with me. i apoligize for being vague but a 100 dry shot is well with in a ls1's means.
as with all mods there are some precautions to be taken. hell putting drag radials or et streets on isnt really wise with a ten bolt. some do with no problems and others snap. evry mod runs a little degree of some kind of mishap or even driving it stock.( sooner or later something fails) sorry for caring on. do some reading and research youll find things your willing and not willing to do. or just plain dream of. have fun
Old 11-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
KEEEEEEEEP IT SCREENED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If I didn't butcher it on the take out, it would be in. I am in the process of finding one in Tampa. Port the TB, get exhaust, and get a nice Torque Converter if its an A4. These are all proven to hop the hp real nice( NOT FLOWDISASTER). Don't know about the claim on the FIPK, is that to the wheels on what type of dyno, and do you have a Manual or Automatic? If your claims are real I want to see the numbers, and I'm next on the list for a FIPK.
THANKS FOR THE INFO. THE DYNO USED WAS A MODEL 248C, AT HARV'S AUTOMOTIVE, WHITTIER, CA, AND THEY DID NOT SELL ME THE K&N FIPK.
I BOUGHT THE FIPK AT THUNDERRACING.COM IN LOUISIANA. There was NO motivation for HARVS to misrepresent the gains. I wish I was more computer literate, I am looking at the computer printouts now, and can fax them to whoever if you give me fax #'s. Actual charts that were printed reflect: 85.7 degreees F, 39.92-0.44 Hg, CF=1.00 RPM/MPH = 46
** Dynorun 2 305.1 HP (306 was on 1st run, not printed out), and Max Torque = 327.9
AFTER FIPK Installation, Dyno run 3: 328.4 HP, max torque = 337.1
I DO NOT WORK FOR ANY AUTOMOTIVE COMPANY, THESE #'S ARE REAL.
IF YOU HAVE AN 02 SS THAT IS STOCK, AND YOU PURCHASE FIPK KIT (NOT JUST THE FILTER THAT GOES INTO THE RESTRICTIVE AIR BOX)
YOU WILL 100%CERTAIN enjoy these similar gains. I can not speak for gains with 98/99 or head/cam mods that add the FIPK. ALL I can speak for is my own experience with my bone stock 02 SS 6M.
CAN ANY OTHER 01 OR 02 SS OWNERS HELP BY REVEALING THEIR DYNO GAINS W/BOLT ON MODS?
Old 11-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CamaroSS
If you do the pullys and what not tell me how it goes, I'm thinking about trying it myself. Don't mean to discredit you on the FIPK, just want proof because I'm am interestd.
\
**I AM BRAND NEW IN THIS FORUM, SO DON'T KNOW HOW TO REPLY PROPERLY YET, BUT IF YOU LOOK BELOW, I RESPONDED IN 2 PARAGRAPHS. I HAVE 2 DYNO SHEETS TO FAX TO WHOEVER GIVES ME THEIR FAX #. I AM NOT REAL COMPUTER SAVVY.....
Harvs', Whittier, CA dynoed the car, and I purchased the FIPK x thunderracing.com in Louisiana. Harvs had ZERO motivation to misrepresent the gains. AGAIN, my car (aside from suspension work) is bone stock 02 SS. I have no idea what gains would be by addiing FIPK to /head/cam/headers vehicle.
I REALLY AM HOPING SOMEONE ELSE CAN REPORT THEIR "BOLTON" DYNOPROVEN GAINS TO HELP ME KEEP UP WITH THE Z06's at the track!!
THANKS!
Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02SSZ7D
FIPK, what is it, does one of the sponsors sell 'em, or a link so i can check it out? thanks
FIPK is Filter kit by K&N -- usually $300-350. I bought mine from Thunderracing.com, but everyone sells them. I will fax you my dyno sheets if you provide your fax #. I am not computer savvy so don't know how to post them on web. ** ASIDE FROM SUSPENSION MODS, MY SS IS BONE STOCK, ASIDE FROM FIPK KIT. SO IF YOU HAVE AN 01/02 STOCK SS, AND YOU ADD THE FIPK KIT, I WOULD BET MY LIFE YOU WOULD SEE 20 - 23 HP GAINS AT 4,800 - 6,000 RPMS.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZDOG
its the kn intake. i believe thunder and tybrne have it.

i descreened my maf and my car loves it. stay away from ported maf ends though. ive heard of many,many bad experiences on 01 and 02 cars. they also interfere with pcm programming from what ive heard.
heres a list to get you started:
asp underdrive pully
ported throttle body
cutout or a very unrestrictive catback
if its a m6 the drill mod(free)
throttle body coolant line bybass(almost free)
a dyo tune to squeak out some more ponies or a proggrammer like the predator(no way should you get the hpp3!)
or put that sucker on the bottle and run a 100 shot with no problems at all! hehehe
good luck im sure some one else will add some more.
THANKS ZDOG, When you say your car loves descreened MAF, did you dyno to record gains? A lot of people say don't do it, so I am really hoping to get dynoproven feedback to help my decision. The underdrive/alt pulley will go on with head/cam next year, electric cutout should be here next week (which 1/2 people say will reduce or keep same HP), TBcoolant line bypass just arrived today ($15 mod was too cheap to say no), but I am looking for more feedback on DYNOPROVEN feedback with bolton mods on 01/02 SS. THANKS!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 04:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey slider, scan the dyno and host it on ls1camaro.net. you'll need to register to host pics. or you can email me the pic and i'll host it for you

layzie3@juno.com

i gotta see that, are those numbers corrected. i dont mean to discount you but 22rwhp is something you see from headers and the like and not a k&n intake mod.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:00 AM
TECH Regular

if you go here, it lists improvements on cars, unfortunatly, can't tell if they are bone stock or not, but it shows the improvements...
Old 11-01-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

slider, first off, is the car an A4(4L60-E automatic transmission) or an M6(T-56 Tremec manual transmission)? that will vary the mods quite a bit. an m6 is quite dyno friendly, but much harder to plant the power to the ground. lower parasitic drivetrain loss. an a4 doesn't dyno nearly as well, however with a good stall, some good tires, full bolt ons and a decent h/c combo you can smoke m6's all day. dyno numbers aren't the whole story. i've read your post and you seem obsessed with them. SOTP gains are sometimes good signs, others are timeslips. anything that lowers your timeslips, or ups your hp/tq is a good thing. unless you're going to throw your car on a dyno after every mod, just ask for a good full bolt on list. again it will vary between a4/m6. some mods are great ideas, but have little to do with dyno results. ie !air/!egr. no hp gains, but great weight mod/cleans up the engine compartment. look for best bang for the buck all around...not just on the dyno sheet my friend.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot rod magazine dyno tested the fipk on a bone stock camaro (I think it was a '98 or '99) and showed a 19 hp gain, I think. It's quite proven... believe it.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Well heres the deal with intake mods, an 01 and 02 SS enjoy higher gains that allow you to take advantage of the LS6 amnifold.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrp
hey slider, scan the dyno and host it on ls1camaro.net. you'll need to register to host pics. or you can email me the pic and i'll host it for you

layzie3@juno.com

i gotta see that, are those numbers corrected. i dont mean to discount you but 22rwhp is something you see from headers and the like and not a k&n intake mod.
HEY JRP,
I scanned chart & RPM breakdown, tried to email to you, file was 12,552 KB? too large, rescanned just the chart, showing 7,552 KB?, STILL too large to email.
I know how to use my scanner, but could you tell me steps to "host it on ls1camaro.net? Thanks
Or provide a fax #, and I can fax, or I can mail you a copy of dynochart/RPM breakdown sheets....OR if you go to Dave Turners, I can mail chart to them, and you can pickup there.....
Slider
02 SS 6M
Old 11-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
slider, first off, is the car an A4(4L60-E automatic transmission) or an M6(T-56 Tremec manual transmission)? that will vary the mods quite a bit. an m6 is quite dyno friendly, but much harder to plant the power to the ground. lower parasitic drivetrain loss. an a4 doesn't dyno nearly as well, however with a good stall, some good tires, full bolt ons and a decent h/c combo you can smoke m6's all day. dyno numbers aren't the whole story. i've read your post and you seem obsessed with them. SOTP gains are sometimes good signs, others are timeslips. anything that lowers your timeslips, or ups your hp/tq is a good thing. unless you're going to throw your car on a dyno after every mod, just ask for a good full bolt on list. again it will vary between a4/m6. some mods are great ideas, but have little to do with dyno results. ie !air/!egr. no hp gains, but great weight mod/cleans up the engine compartment. look for best bang for the buck all around...not just on the dyno sheet my friend.
HEY CYPHUR_TRAQ, Thanks for your thoughts. It is great to find this forum w/other LS1 guys to gather good info. My track car is 02 SS 6M w/a lot of suspension mods for road racing, now I need to add HP to keep with up the Z06 & Vipers on the track. My interest is road racing on tracks, NOT 1/4 mile, and as such, would never drive an A4. I was brand new to LS1tech yesterday, and did not understand how to post, now I know how to just post 1 reply to everyone...
I AGREE totally with your assessment of me being obsessed with dyno...I AM, and WILL FOREVER. DYNO is the ONLY OBJECTIVE way to measure HP gains.
"sounds better, or feels faster" will never be uttered from my lips. I Agree timeslips are just as good as dyno results for assessing results, but I only go to 1/4 mile track 2x/year....Lap times are good at the track too, but weather is constantly changing, so you could have less HP but faster times on a cold day. NOTHING beats the dyno, adjusted. Weight reduction continues to be a priority for me, while I could not care less about engine appearance & sound of exhaust. I want more power for less money, that's it. I am a simple guy. AND YES, I WILL DYNO MY CAR AFTER EVERY MOD, that's the quickest and easiest way to see bang for buck.
WITH THAT SAID, PLEASE ADVISE ANY DYNOPROVEN MODS, AND I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL -- THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL INPUT!!!