New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 F-body Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 98 V6 got terrible gas mileage, I was getting high teens with it most of the time being nice. That was with a mix of highway and city driving. Only one more thing on a long list of reasons why the LS1 is better.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

When my car had the 3.8 and 3.08s id frequently get 30 to 33 on the highway and not bad around town, its REALLY right foot dependent. However, I put a 5.3 and 3.42's in this winter and highway milage doesnt seem to suffer that bad, around town is a whole nother story.

I enjoyed my v6 car. It had just enough pep to keep me content, but not really enough to get me into much trouble. 3.42's really woke the car up. POSI's came in 3.23 and higher.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
GTP requires 93 octane, right? i'm trying to go for a vehicle that will run on 87. car has to be able to get out of its own way, but by no means am i looking for a full blown 'performance' vehicle. if i get a GP, i'd get the NA version.
91 octane is required, but if you do a couple mods, you can run 87. With my car, I added intake, 3" downpipe (cat delete, u-bend delete), and a 180 t-stat, and I run it on 87 (since its a DD) with no problems.

despite what the thread title is, i'm not looking at a V6 F-body as an alternative to a V8 F-body... i'm looking at the V6 F-body as an alternative to a GA/GP. I just wanted to know how the V6 F-body differs from the V8 versions so i know what to expect so i can give it fair consideration
Like everyone has said, the major difference is in the powertrain - engine (obviously), transmission, and an open rear. Other than that, they are very similar, and the things that are different (sway bars, springs) can easily be upgraded to the V8 parts for relatively cheap.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the context of V6 fbody vs any other DD, it is pretty compelling. You have to be hard headed to mod it for performance, but that's not what this thread is about. You pick the v6 fbody because it is RWD, looks good, the cost per mile is low, and you won't feel compelled to mod it. Why anyone even brought up V6 vs V8 is beyond me, having read the first post.

You already have access to most of the parts, you already know how to work on it should the need arise, and we have already established you like how it looks, or you wouldn't have that *other* fbody.

Spend a few grand on a good body, put collision on it, and feed it 87 octane till it blows up. The cost per mile is pretty low, even if some things break..because you know how to fix almost all of it already. At the very least, you have a parts car for your other one.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DlXlE
My 98 V6 got terrible gas mileage, I was getting high teens with it most of the time being nice. That was with a mix of highway and city driving. Only one more thing on a long list of reasons why the LS1 is better.
Something is wrong there because I get 23-25 city/highway mix on mine with the A4. 27 highway only. I've dropped it down to 18 before when it was mostly city and I wasn't keeping my foot out of things
Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I know I will probably get flammed by the V6 guys, but IMO buying a V6 Fbody is like buying non-alcoholic beer, whats the point? You pay the premium car price, premium insurance price, and usually pay more at the pump than an average car but get none of the performance benefits of the V8 cars. And the V6 cars certainly don't "feel nice" especially when you are looking at the ones in the $3000 range. If you want to stick to RWD (which i can't blame you) I would look for a 240SX or something.
My car was cheap and in great shape, we ask the insurance company if mine was a V8 what would be the difference it was only about a $800 ever 6 months difference. And I get great gas mileage and get to use 87 octane.

But thats my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
No premium car price here, no premium insurance here, and don't really pay more at the pump than an average car (well, if I keep my foot out of it).
You pay more for the car because its a "Camaro" opposed to some average car, and you pay more for insurance because they consider it a "sports car" over a average car.

Your absoutely right! its like Root beer vs real beer. Root beer is ******* awesome! I can't deal with true regular beer like most people can. I can tell you I did pay the premium price for my car but as far as insurance goes, gas I'm not paying for it here.
No its not even root beer, its non-alcoholic beer, its a muscle car without the muscle or performance. Root beer would be some economy car that serves a purpose other than to "look cool".

Had I bought a V8 id be broke as a joke, since I bought this car I've manage to actually save some money and invest which is something I would only be dreaming about right now had I got a V8.
Why buy a "performance car" at all then if you are worried about investing? Why waste money on something that only serves to look good, but really does nothing else well at all?

Having owned Fbody V8's in the past they where great cars but I love my V6 knowing that its something "Diffrent" you know everytime I go out to the car meets there's plenty of V8's out there and I'm the only V6 most of the time. There's just not a place right now in my life for a V8, the V6 seems to fit my life style like a glove.
Really no offense but I had to chuckle at this one... That's like saying you like to be different by paying the gym membership fee, and then not ever going because you want to be different by being the only little guy there.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Hey i own a 1999 y87 camaro, i bought it last april with 138k and i just got to 150k a few days ago. Ever since ive own the car ive put nothing but 93 octane, did my usual oil changes and maintenance and the car is just as strong as when i bought it.. FYI i did a trip from the bronx to syracuse to visit a few friends in college and i got around 27-28 mpg.. i wasnt doing the speed limit either i was impressed :].. BTW my car is for sale if anybody in the nyc area is looking lol
Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You pay more for the car because its a "Camaro" opposed to some average car, and you pay more for insurance because they consider it a "sports car" over a average car.
OK, so I paid $85 a year more on insurance for the 98 V6 Camaro than I did for my old 93 taurus the first year I had it. Big whoop. Then I turned 21 and insurance dropped drastically, I paid $500 for a year.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did an insurance quote for a GP, GA, and V6 Camaro
they were all approx equal, and equal to my other two trans ams (88 and 01). they were all actually slightly higher, probably i set them as primary 'commute' vehicles, so i think they pro-rate your premium based on the miles you say you are going to drive. my carrier is geico for anyone that is curious.

the only real difference in coverage was in comprehensive and collision. from cheapest to expensive was GP<GA<Camaro. however, if i'm buying a $3000 car, i'm not putting collision on it, and i *might* put comprehensive on it
Old 06-11-2009, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel

Does it get better gas mileage than LS1's Id say they are about the same but the only major diffrence is when you pay at the pump. back when gas was $4 it took me only 40bucks to fill up my car while all my ls1 buddys where paying much more to fill it up. Thats the only serious diffrence I see..
If 3~4 dollars at the pump to fill up an entire tank is going to break you then you really shouldn't be buying a car to begin with.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i just did an insurance quote for a GP, GA, and V6 Camaro
they were all approx equal, and equal to my other two trans ams (88 and 01). they were all actually slightly higher, probably i set them as primary 'commute' vehicles, so i think they pro-rate your premium based on the miles you say you are going to drive. my carrier is geico for anyone that is curious.

the only real difference in coverage was in comprehensive and collision. from cheapest to expensive was GP<GA<Camaro. however, if i'm buying a $3000 car, i'm not putting collision on it, and i *might* put comprehensive on it
Dur, I meant liability.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Dur, I meant liability.
liability is a must but comp isn't that expensive and is a good idea because if it gets stolen and doesn't have it, you're f'd..

Quick Reply: V6 F-body Differences?