New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build and price, whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Build and price, whatcha think?

So Im soon to return from my armed vacation in the sandbox and I've been in contact with a performance shop. I dont wanna say the name without first hearing your guys opinions just to protect their reputation in a worst case scenario. Just suffice to know its has an extremely positive rep.

Anyway, Im asking him to take my stock '02 SS A4, transform it into something even more badass than it already is, and this is what he came back with. Note, I told him I wanted a car that could do mid to upper 11's and still cruise the streets damn near stock. (Basically i asked him to turn my SS into a Z06)

TrickFlow 220cc As Cast Cylinder Heads-3.9 Bore
Mill Cylinder Heads to Spec
TrickFlow 7.500 Hardened Pushrods
Yella Terra Ultra Lite 1.7 Non Adjustable Roller Rockers
VRX4 Camshaft
GM Multi Layer Steel OEM Head Gaskets- SET
ARP LS1 Head Bolts
Power Bond F Body Under Drive Pulley with Gates Belts/GM Bolt
Katech C5R Timing Chain
Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump for LS Engines
Comp Drop In Hi Performance Lifters
180* Thermostat
NGK TR55 Spark Plugs
American Racing 1 3/4 Stainless Longtubes with 3" Catted Y pipe
Yank Stealth Converter 28000 Stall Speed
B&M Trans Cooler
FAST 92mm Intake Manifold Ported
Nick Williams 92mm Billet Throttlebody
FAST 90/92mm Intake Replacement Gaskets
Whisper Carbon Fiber Air Box
GMPP Red Z06 Plug Wires
Installation of all parts listed
Custom Tuning VIA EFI Live/DynoJet 224x/Street DataLogging

5% off Labor for military discount

Total for all parts/labor- turn key: $9,599.00

So whatcha think? Honest opinions. Again its a pro shop with a fantastic rep and, from what i've heard, backs up all their builds if/when anything goes wrong.

I want to contact him back and ask him to inclue a koni/strano shocks/springs setup as well as a stronger rearend and see what he quotes me.

Last edited by Jay-SS; 08-28-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That all looks great but i would go bigger on the torque converter like 3600-3800 and you could still cruise just fine im sure a lot of other guys would say dont waste your time with anything less then 3000 stall especally on a head/cam car. Other then that it looks awsome totally going to transform your car! Oh why trick flow as cast heads to save a little money? I think the cnced 215 heads would prob work better just my .02. Goodluck
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should definitely get a bigger stall and run a SS series instead of stealth if you get a Yank.

Your parts ballpark around $7500 when you include gaskets and fluids so you are at about $2k for the install. Sounds good to me.

Also with a good tune that 228/230 cam will have mild street manners but make really good power with those heads......

I bet i can guess the shop HAHA....

Only thing you forgot was a catback... Oh and put some poly motor mounts on there to make sure your headers don't bang. Trust me it is much easier to do now than once the headers are on.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 08-28-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not get a t/d system? better flow and it will sound great
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

I didn't wanna do t/d's cuz I wanna keep it legal. at least until I get it registered out of state.

I think imma ask him to throw in a SS 3200 instead of the Stealth 2800 and see how he thinks that will drive on the street. I dont want a very big stall lol.

As for the catback I dunno if he forgot about that or what lol I'll remind him, i was asking for a Borla system just cuz they sound like sex to me.

97ta383 you asked about the trickflow cast heads. Does somthing seem odd about that? Explain if it does please!

Other than that, I heard something about some guys on ls1tech actually breaking their yella terras and that stockers were cheaper/better. thoughts?

On to the big $$$ question i've been having trouble with. The 9'' vs 12-bolt. After reading some forums I pretty much decided on the 9''. Its stronger and everyone says the 12-bolt whines like a bitch. I would also like to not add a lotta weight on this if possible too.

Love hearing your thoughts guys. Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Teching In

i see you mentioned springs / shocks but...what about LCAs, torque arm, drive shaft, and Panhard Bar? all that power and no traction (or a lot of wheel hop) wont be too much fun.

it looks like a good build, i'd be intereseted to see the power it puts down, i agree with you on the 9" (it's what i bought too) and i think you'll be fine with the Yella Terra rockers.

Where are you at in the sandbox? i'm in Al Udeid right now, heading to Iraq for the next 2 months...then home, hopefully, to finish my 408 build
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

I also sent an email to Mr. Strano for advice with the suspension parts. See what he can help me out with
Old 08-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Teching In

ah he's definately the guy to ask, i just purchased 4/4 koni's and front and rear sways from him about 2 weeks before i left for the sandbox.

i purchased all spohn suspension pieces for the back and the only thing i'm not liking so far is the ride height with the chassis mounted torque arm...i bet i dont' have 3 inches of clearance and my car is stock ride height! other than that, i can't comlain, they make some quality components. Sam recommends umi and i would have no problem buying their parts either, they make some good stuff. but make sure if you're getting the chassis mount TA, you ask about clearance issues with lowering springs and Koni's, as it doesn't give much ride height as it is. i'd be curious to know also before i purchase a set of his 1.25" drop springs.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would bump up to the SS line from yank in at least a 3200.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

You won't really notice any difference stepping up to a 3600 stall as the SS series is pretty tight.......except better track times

YT Ultra Lights can be set up to get better geometry than stockers on TFS heads so 99% of the people run YT or HS on those heads. Do this for longer valve guide life....

Ron is just trying to save you $600-$700 by recommending the as cast......Nothing wrong with that

Might wanna consider Cometic .040 HG to get a little better quench and mill a little to bring up your compression. I think you can go safely to at least 62cc with those heads. I would run PAC 1518 springs too but all this adds up quickly and is another $500. The PAC is just a better and longer lasting spring than TFS uses.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its definitely gonna turn into a beast. only a few things i would suggest is that i would just opt for the TFS 215 instead of as cast since your already spending that amount of cash. and i would definitely up the stall to a 3600 atleast. i have a vig 3200 and could easily step up to a 36-3800 size stall.

better have some extras cash put aside for nice tranny upgrade..lol.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Banned

wow thats alot of stuff looks good, seems honest. but i spent $1500 To run a 10.9 i just did cam,nitrous,gears
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
better have some extras cash put aside for nice tranny upgrade..lol.
Crap, I totally forgot about that part lol. Bout how much does it cost to build the 4l60e to handle all that?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
Crap, I totally forgot about that part lol. Bout how much does it cost to build the 4l60e to handle all that?

yeah man i hear ya. no point to dump all that cash for your tranny to crap out right after. a good built unit would run for atleast $2200 bucks maybe. i would call FLT or even performabuilt and see if what specials they have and the good ol military discount.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
yeah man i hear ya. no point to dump all that cash for your tranny to crap out right after. a good built unit would run for atleast $2200 bucks maybe. i would call FLT or even performabuilt and see if what specials they have and the good ol military discount.
Good god the price just keeps on climbing. Oh well Im a tightwad who doesnt spend money on anything else anyway. This IS what I was saving all this money for, afterall.

I just didnt expect it break into 10k+ range so easily... its going to be so worth it tho!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

you can take that ten grand and sale the car and get one that has been fixed up better and faster! or jus add a bigger stall and good luck with your build up
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

I checked out the trannies from performabuilt and your price was pretty dead on, TXZ28LS1. However, I coulda swore I remember reading somewhere (it may have been here) that there's a shop that will rebuild the tranny you send them instead of buying an all new one. I read this was a cheaper option and remember hearing good things about it. I would search it up but I've NEVER gotten the search function to work for me in over 2 years. Anyone know about this?

So Ron said the ARH header came with a high flow catted Y-pipe and that he typically doesnt deal with catbacks, which is why he didnt include the Borla. He said he wouldnt having any problem getting one though if I wanted. I love the borla sound and the borla look, thats why i threw it at him but if I can save $800 by just forgetting it then that would be fine.

I checked ls1sounds.com but didnt see anything for just ARH exausts. Anyone have a video or clip of this setup so I can get an idea of how it sounds/looks? Honestly (and unfortunately) im picky so if it sounds or looks wrong I may just fork out the $$ for the Borla...

Thanks guys. I'll keep the thread updated and start including pictures of the before/during/after process when I get back. Unless someone tells me to of course.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jay-SS
I checked out the trannies from performabuilt and your price was pretty dead on, TXZ28LS1. However, I coulda swore I remember reading somewhere (it may have been here) that there's a shop that will rebuild the tranny you send them instead of buying an all new one. I read this was a cheaper option and remember hearing good things about it. I would search it up but I've NEVER gotten the search function to work for me in over 2 years. Anyone know about this?

So Ron said the ARH header came with a high flow catted Y-pipe and that he typically doesnt deal with catbacks, which is why he didnt include the Borla. He said he wouldnt having any problem getting one though if I wanted. I love the borla sound and the borla look, thats why i threw it at him but if I can save $800 by just forgetting it then that would be fine.

I checked ls1sounds.com but didnt see anything for just ARH exausts. Anyone have a video or clip of this setup so I can get an idea of how it sounds/looks? Honestly (and unfortunately) im picky so if it sounds or looks wrong I may just fork out the $$ for the Borla...

Thanks guys. I'll keep the thread updated and start including pictures of the before/during/after process when I get back. Unless someone tells me to of course.

not sure on sending out your stock tranny. but i think thats what most of the sponsors on here do. you send them your tranny, and then you get there brand new built tranny. good thing your looking into beefing up your tranny.

also check the classified section. you should be able to find a borla in good condition for half the price.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

They will ship you the tranny and then most will credit you $200 when you send your rebuildable core back in.

You can probably get by on the tranny for a while. I am running a stock 94k tranny with a SS3600, transgo shift kit and 30,000lb. cooler no probs yet. I think the 160* t-stat helps keep tranny temps down too.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SOMbitch

You can probably get by on the tranny for a while. I am running a stock 94k tranny with a SS3600, transgo shift kit and 30,000lb. cooler no probs yet. I think the 160* t-stat helps keep tranny temps down too.

damn SOM, thats pretty good to be that much in miles on the stock tranny. i tell ya, i was really nervous once i threw a cam and stall on my stock tranny. i took it easy and rarely drove it. sucks reading some horror stories on guys who do H/C and stall and there tranny gives up on the dyno and or leaving the shop. if i could do it all over, other than simple bolt ons, i would do a built tranny and rear end first and then H/C and everything else.