New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram air... Does it work or just for looks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram air... Does it work or just for looks?

Hey guys,

I got a 2000 ws.6

Does the ram air hood really add to the performance of my Trans am or is it more for looks? I'm sure it sucks in air, however if airflow through the nostrils was stopped would you really notice the difference power wise?

I need honest answers guys.... No BS

I know your probally gonna laugh at me, but I am in the process of getting a Knight rider light for my car and it will be going inside the nostrils. It might not stop all the air, but it won't flow as free as it once did.

I do not want to really diminish the performance of my car so let me know.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Maybe MAYBE net loss of 1hp/1ft lbs tq. Doubt it, check out the "ram air" tunnels that **** has to go threw on an SS, by the time it hits the filter....yea well...

Im sure someone will chime in here with a huge technical answer about high pressure air under the car blah blah blah... or someone else will tell you to "use the search feature." But all in all, no that **** is more for looks(awesome) than function.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 PM

it does work but there is alot more you can do as far as removing some of the plastic that is in there and cutting away from the hood but then there is a water promblem soo thats all up to you. I do know that when i put my hood on there it starting breathing alot better so hope that helps
Originally Posted by knightryda01
Hey guys,

I got a 2000 ws.6

Does the ram air hood really add to the performance of my Trans am or is it more for looks? I'm sure it sucks in air, however if airflow through the nostrils was stopped would you really notice the difference power wise?

I need honest answers guys.... No BS

I know your probally gonna laugh at me, but I am in the process of getting a Knight rider light for my car and it will be going inside the nostrils. It might not stop all the air, but it won't flow as free as it once did.

I do not want to really diminish the performance of my car so let me know.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

might kick in till top end... but more air in ur motor is never bad ... just dont drive too much in the rain
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go ahead, install the KITT light.

No performance will be sacrificed.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

The biggest gain with the WS6 package is with the ladies
Old 09-09-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

It works once you get over 100mph
Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the ram air setup adds power because of 2 things

1) Larger filter area
2) Direct intake path

i just added ram air to my LT1 after running a Cold Air setup for 2 years and i could tell a difference.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I read somewhere that SLP said during wind tunnel testing that the ss hood scoop at 75mph actually created 1.5psi of boost, ive been tempted to hook a boost gauge up just for ***** and giggles to test this theory. As for the light, with the minute amount of air you're going to block you'll never notice it, now if you completely shut them, you'll notice. A ram air kit that i installed on my 91 z28 (custom kit a friend made out of abs plastic and fiberglass) made 7whp on a dynojet. I would imagine the functional scoop setup engineered by slp would be a bit more effective than our shadetree setup. Not to mention ls1's LOVE any bit of extra air they can get, we can tell this by the power gains of just changing out the intake lid.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
I read somewhere that SLP said during wind tunnel testing that the ss hood scoop at 75mph actually created 1.5psi of boost, ive been tempted to hook a boost gauge up just for ***** and giggles to test this theory. As for the light, with the minute amount of air you're going to block you'll never notice it, now if you completely shut them, you'll notice. A ram air kit that i installed on my 91 z28 (custom kit a friend made out of abs plastic and fiberglass) made 7whp on a dynojet. I would imagine the functional scoop setup engineered by slp would be a bit more effective than our shadetree setup. Not to mention ls1's LOVE any bit of extra air they can get, we can tell this by the power gains of just changing out the intake lid.
The hoods will never make boost!! There will always be a vacum present the hood tracts are not sealed and they dont move enough air to actually have a postive PSI pressure in the intake tract.. And in the LS1 cars the air filter is the same size as the nonram air cars..

Last edited by SOM02WS6; 09-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said, the most direct air path is the best. I personally bought a WS.9 hood but I had a sleek beak car which with the SLP flow pack, it seals the bottom gap (which is 1" shorter) and uses a sheetmetal duct. It is getting air either way.

Ultimately the greatest restriction is the stock style intake manifold, that causes the biggest issues when your looking to make big power.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

I say put on the light and don't worry about the power. That thing is sure to look sweet.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might be mistaken, but i thought the air box on the WS6 was elevated a bit and that's where the difference is between "ram air" and regular firebird hood...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

i read somewhere of a kid testing the stock ram air of a ws6 somewhere and it created possitve pressure, the kid was some sort of wizz by the stuff he was saying, apparently according to his formula you gain like 4flywheel hp at 60 which isnt much but it multiplies as you gain speed, call bs or dont, i dont really care, just relaying what i read. he did seem to have his **** together too.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
i read somewhere of a kid testing the stock ram air of a ws6 somewhere and it created possitve pressure, the kid was some sort of wizz by the stuff he was saying, apparently according to his formula you gain like 4flywheel hp at 60 which isnt much but it multiplies as you gain speed, call bs or dont, i dont really care, just relaying what i read. he did seem to have his **** together too.
I'm pretty sure it's chrs1313 you're talking about. With the ram air kit he built for me, I ran .178 seconds faster and 1.534 mph faster by just putting the ram air kit on. Everything thing else was the same, and that is with the DA corrected.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

yea it may be, that sn sounds familiar, and i do think the 4 or 5hp that was picked up was on a stock ta with aftermarket lid and filter.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even a turbo'd car or supercharged car will make neg pressure or vacuum at idle. I dont care how sealed up the ram air is your not going to get enough air into the motor to create positive pressure. Jets even have a low pressure area in front on their turbines which is caused by the vacuum they create and they are traveling at hundreds of miles an hour. A LS1 motor require cubic feet of air per minute a simple ram air set up is not going to get ahead of that curve, there is no where to create boost the system isnt sealed, if you created a positive pressure area it would just leak out the front of the ram air intake.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

i have a little trouble getting what your saying, not to say you are wrong, but are you saying ram air is completely useless, sorry i just woke up, im having trouble with your arguement here.+
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
i have a little trouble getting what your saying, not to say you are wrong, but are you saying ram air is completely useless, sorry i just woke up, im having trouble with your arguement here.+
I am not saying a true ram air set up wont help a little bit at speed i am saying is that its not going to build positive psi as in boost pressure
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ram air does not make one bit of difference. I installed the Super Sucker Ram Air on my 99 SS and it did not make one bit of a difference at the track. I didn't feel anything in the seat of my pants, gas mileage did not increase, nothing. Ram Air is a myth as far as I'm concerned. The hood looks cool and that's as far as it goes.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (08-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Ram air... Does it work or just for looks?