New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best way to protect wires from header heat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best way to protect wires from header heat?

i have flame retardant electrical tape and the regular black wire loom from autozone...I'm not sure if that's enough to protect my wiring.

My starter wire and my crank position sensor wires are VERY close to my passs. side header. What are you guys using to protect your wires from all that heat?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

DEI, the people that make a lot of heat related insulation like tapes and such also make boots to fit your plug wires, its a fabric that slips on by the boot. 6" or 8" too, See http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=22
I got a good deal on mine thru forum member 99blancoSS he is a forum sponsor too.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

You can buy the sleeving in foot sections (or longer) from places like Summit & Jegs. I went to Summit and typed in "fire sleeve" when I bought mine. Taylor Cable is the brand I purchased.

Speaking from experience, when split-loom tubing melts it fuses itself to the wiring that was inside.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Very cool, thanks guys. These look promising: http://www.designengineering.com/pro...sp?m=sp&pid=36

Expensive, but promising. I'll search around on Summit too, melting wires would be total horror.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can personally vouch for the dei stuff. I was having issues with one of my spark plug boots melting onto one of the header primaries

I got a set of their spark plug boot protector sleeves on sale at either Advance or Autozone and they haven't given me any trouble since, even with hot lapping the car at the track.

Another thing to consider would be to simply re-route the wire. I haven't personally heard of this being a common problem, so it makes me think there's something a little out of whack with your setup.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
I can personally vouch for the dei stuff. I was having issues with one of my spark plug boots melting onto one of the header primaries

I got a set of their spark plug boot protector sleeves on sale at either Advance or Autozone and they haven't given me any trouble since, even with hot lapping the car at the track.

Another thing to consider would be to simply re-route the wire. I haven't personally heard of this being a common problem, so it makes me think there's something a little out of whack with your setup.
More like something out of whack with my paranoia lol It's my first build; I'm paranoid about everything.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Launching!

put a ceramic wrapper around the headers and as long wires dont touch
is ok.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

My wires from 99blancoSS came in over the weekend...check out my DEI covers on my MSD wires he made...
Attached Thumbnails best way to protect wires from header heat?-misc-059.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

what kind of headers do you have?... if you have anything that's ceramic coated and nothing is physically touching them i think you will be fine... i have jethots and haven't had any problems... the only thing that's extremely close is the heater box... seriously it's like 1/4" away from one of the primaries... at first i was like oh crap!... but i haven't had any issues
Old 09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by neutron82
what kind of headers do you have?... if you have anything that's ceramic coated and nothing is physically touching them i think you will be fine... i have jethots and haven't had any problems... the only thing that's extremely close is the heater box... seriously it's like 1/4" away from one of the primaries... at first i was like oh crap!... but i haven't had any issues
I have FLP headers. Worked really hard tonight to get the starter wire and crank position sensor wires well out of the way of the header, so I think I'm good. We'll see if any burn up hahaha
Old 09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Default fire sleve

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TH...5/?image=large i got this forthe fuel/brake line near the y pipe it looked awful close . and this you just wrap it and it has hooks and loops th o hold it together (fire proof velcro ????) lol

Last edited by billyb; 09-29-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: best way to protect wires from header heat?