New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this car a TRUE Lingenfelter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this car a TRUE Lingenfelter??

Ok... I havent been on here in awhile.. I am finally ready to buy a TA.

I stumbled upon this really clean white 2000 convertible with 50,000 miles..M6. The owner of the dealership says its a "Lingenfelter edition Trans am."

How in the wide wide world of sports, am I supposed to tell if that is true or not?? He got it that way and went off of what they told him. Its a convertible with the WS6 front bumper cover, but the stock ta hood. He claims the engine was balanced and blueprinted and a cam etc..

The engine has the lingenfelter intake on it, that is clear. It has the SLP intake tube and the K&N as well... I called a buddy and he came and looked at it.

My buddy has a pewter 2000 WS6 that ran 11.0 all motor before he put in the new motor, which is 75 hp more, still na. He has a nasty cam and his car is the reason I want one of these so bad...why its such a passion for me.

So my more knowledgeable friend came to look at this car. First thing he noticed was the wheels. They are chrome three spokes and not lingenfelter rims. OK, no biggie maybe they were changed...

Second... The car has a flowmaster catback and Hooker headers on it.

Third....the car really didnt sound cammed to me..but he never let the idle settle..because its in a shopping mall lol.

Fourth... There was no piston slap at all on startup. The car has been in the mall for at least a full day (12 hours)..and he said there would be piston slap on almost all of them normally, so maybe it was tore apart and blueprinted etc..

So.. with all that being said, what do you guys think? Is there any way I can find out if its a true lingenfelter car? If its 400+ hp like he says, I would buy it. But if its a stock vert, I can find a better deal. IT is EXTREMELY nice... probably always garage kept. But I am still kinda confused on somethings... I do have the VIN..If I called lingenfelter somehow could they tell me?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

By no means do I do I know the true answer, but my guess would be it you called them. They would be able to give you all the information on that car had ti been there to see any kind of modification. Lingenfelter is a very big name with a great reputation, It would be wise for them to keep that stuff so call them up and see what you can find out
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Teching In

thanks I just found their number!

It was easier than I thought it would be..they seem to be the most reputable tuner with a real honesty about them. (unlike ahem..some...cough hennessy cough)

So I will call them up and give them the VIN tomorrow and keep you guys posted.. and also let the dealer know whether he got hosed or not. He is an honest guy, but he is sure its the real deal.

I would just feel bad paying 16900 for a car that I could get 3000 cheaper if it really isnt 400+hp.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure the is no such thing as a "Lingerfelter TA". I've heard of them doing a few corverttes but not a TA. I wouldn't let the title of it discourage you from buying it if it's a nice car.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rashad
Ok... I havent been on here in awhile.. I am finally ready to buy a TA.

I stumbled upon this really clean white 2000 convertible with 50,000 miles..M6. The owner of the dealership says its a "Lingenfelter edition Trans am."

How in the wide wide world of sports, am I supposed to tell if that is true or not?? He got it that way and went off of what they told him. Its a convertible with the WS6 front bumper cover, but the stock ta hood. He claims the engine was balanced and blueprinted and a cam etc..

The engine has the lingenfelter intake on it, that is clear. It has the SLP intake tube and the K&N as well... I called a buddy and he came and looked at it.

My buddy has a pewter 2000 WS6 that ran 11.0 all motor before he put in the new motor, which is 75 hp more, still na. He has a nasty cam and his car is the reason I want one of these so bad...why its such a passion for me.

So my more knowledgeable friend came to look at this car. First thing he noticed was the wheels. They are chrome three spokes and not lingenfelter rims. OK, no biggie maybe they were changed...

Second... The car has a flowmaster catback and Hooker headers on it.

Third....the car really didnt sound cammed to me..but he never let the idle settle..because its in a shopping mall lol.

Fourth... There was no piston slap at all on startup. The car has been in the mall for at least a full day (12 hours)..and he said there would be piston slap on almost all of them normally, so maybe it was tore apart and blueprinted etc..

So.. with all that being said, what do you guys think? Is there any way I can find out if its a true lingenfelter car? If its 400+ hp like he says, I would buy it. But if its a stock vert, I can find a better deal. IT is EXTREMELY nice... probably always garage kept. But I am still kinda confused on somethings... I do have the VIN..If I called lingenfelter somehow could they tell me?

Thanks guys!
hate to burst your bubble, but that car is not anything close to what LPE would make. the intake as you describe it sounds like an MTI clear lid with a K&N filter and SLP smooth bellows. LPE would not do an exhaust combo like that either. it may have a cam in it like an LS6, but its hard to say. it sounds like hes marketing it to you with a big name to try to sell it to you.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Teching In

You guys were right!

I just got off the phone with LPE... As I described the car and mods to him almost everything sounded fishy to him. They never use flowmaster catbacks, hooker headers, or....get this...He said they NEVER use the polished WEIAND Lingenfelter signature intakes!... His exact words..."The LS6 flows better!"...if that aint an honest tuner I dont know who is!

Anyhow, I will calling the dealer and letting him know I talked to LPE and its a fake. I even gave him the VIN and he found nothing, although he said the last name of the person who had the work done is what they really need.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Now you have him where you want him,If you like the car,make him an offer of what you think it's worth. I went through the same thing on a car,it was fake to. I located the original owner of mine and now have $9.000 worth of parts receipts for it. good luck to you
Old 11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rashad
Its a convertible with the WS6 front bumper cover, but the stock ta hood.
The WS6 equipped and standard T/A have the same bumper...