New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm getting FRUSTRATED!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm getting FRUSTRATED!!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Vehicle : 2001 Camaro SS A4, stock except for SLP LID and SLP LM1 exhaust.

ok.....

long story short.....I drove through about 1/2 foot of water about 7 months ago.....my intake sucked water into my engine and ruined it.....my insurance paid for a brand new engine from the dealer(stock ls1 long block)

It was professionaly installed by a very reputible local shop that I used to work at.

When my car entered the shop It had my diablosport tune still on the car. The car ran AWESOME prior to the repairs. After the engine was installed, my mechanic was having some problems getting the car to idle correctly. He wanted to eliminate the possibly of the tune causing problems, so he asked me come re-install the factory tune. That did nothing, he ended up finding out that it was a bad IAC. He replaced that, and everything seemed fine.

Ever since I got the car back, it has been slightly sluggish compared to the way it was before and won't downshift when accelerating above 50mph. It just accelerates from 4th gear instead of dropping down a gear.

Based on advice from LS1tech.com....while trying to figure out what was causing these problems....I replaced the following parts trying to fix the issue....

Mass Air Flow Sensor - (stock AC DELCO, I did have SLP maf on the car)
Throttle Position Sensor - (stock AC DELCO)
AFS98 o2 sensor pre-cat drivers side(because I got a check engine light telling me the o2 was bad) - (stock AC DELCO)

The car still runs basically the same....still having the same problems.....

What else could be causing this??? I've heard TPS voltage, but it's a brand new TPS that I just put on there....so most likely it's ok....I will check the voltage, but what else could it be???

I'm getting very frustrated.......

I have NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS at the moment.....

Thanks in advance for anyone's help and time.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

are you throwing any codes? If so let us know.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Teching In

i'm not throwing any codes now.....I was throwing the code for the drivers side pre-cat o2 sensor....AFS98.....it said insufficiant switching bank 1 sensor 1....

the check engine light was on for about a month before I could afford the o2 sensor.....the light then went off, and I was able to replace the sensor about a week later.....

now that I've replaced the o2 sensor.....the light is still off, but the car hasn't improved at all......still is not downshifting correctly......

i'm soooo frustrated.....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may need to adjust the throttle cable linkage if your car is equipped with traction control. it may not be opening the TB all the way and the tps isn't sending the signal for the trans to down shift. After adjustment disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. It may still do this for a few days then the computer should relearn and fix it. Thats what happened to mine.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Teching In

awesome man thanks, you've just given me something new to try that nobody else has suggested...LOL

seriously though....how do I go about adjusting the cable.....any info on this is greatly appreciated .....thanks in advance!

That would make sense cuz maybe my mechanic when reinstalling the cable didn't put it back the way it was......

let me know how you adjusted yours...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^I'm not a guru but if that's not the problem (hopefully it is), you ever think that the tuning could be it??? Maybe shift points were messed up somehow and maybe getting a professional tune could help at the same time get some extra power???
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Teching In

yeah i'm in the process of finding a cheap diablosport tuner that can hold custom tunes...and then getting someone to make me a custom tune for my car......

I just wanted to address this first cuz a few other guys with stock SS's told me that their cars downshift even at 70mph....also my car used to as well before getting my new engine......that being said, i think there is just something wrong that isn't right with something on my car......if i can get it to run the way is "should" then I will get a tune to make it run even better!!

Thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

there is and adjustment on the cable. actually they're two adjustments and they're done the same way. It's located above the passenger side valve cover. basically go from the throttle body and work your way back to the traction controll module. From there work your way back on the lines going to the firewall. There will be a connector that will pop open. Once open you will see a clip that you can pop off. Once off you will see how you can pull on the two lines apart and push together and that is how you adjust the line length. Once you have found the length you want put the clip back into place and test. If it wont tighten it up enough there is another connector on the other line that does the same thing. You want the line tight but not so tight that the blade in the throttle body starts to open. You may have to do this a few times to get it just right.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Teching In

awesome bro thanks!

I will try that tomorrow after work or today and let you know if that fixed my problem....
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Anytime. I hope it works for ya. Keep us posted.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Remove the MAF and bellows and have someone watch the throttle body blade. If its not opening all the way, then that could def be the problem.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem and don't want to start buying parts if it's not going to fix it like in your case. Does anybody know the voltage at WOT and closed for the stock ls1 tps?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Default bi thanks for info

I have been using the information from this thread to work on my car and the throttle adjustment is what was needed and yes I agree it can get very frustrating.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Teching In

ceejay :

so was yours doing the same as far as downshifting normal under 50mph, but not shifting normal above 50mph???

please let me know thanks!

glad you fixed your problem.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem. Mine will downshift at 55 but it won't at 70 so I'm gonna try adjusting the cable and see what happens.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by krunk99cam
I'm having the same problem. Mine will downshift at 55 but it won't at 70 so I'm gonna try adjusting the cable and see what happens.
IIRC it WON'T downshift at or above 70MPH.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MattxFatal
IIRC it WON'T downshift at or above 70MPH.
?
either way it downshifts now at and above 70 after I adjusted the two cables
Old 10-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Teching In

yep....it was the cable.....It was only reading 79.22% throttle in my diablosport tuner when floored it, I got it reading 100.1% now, and the car feels insane......i've been driving it for 6 months like this at 79.22% and I thought it was pretty fast...I even beat a few mustangs over the last few months...lol......but now especially with the diablo tune and now that the cable is right.....it feels sooooo fast.....it shifts sooo hard into 2nd gear, and also when going 40 it will now downshift into 1st gear and burn the tires all the way to 2nd gear!!!!

Thanks guys for helping me figure this out!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Hahahaha. Beating Mustangs at 79% throttle!

Hahahahahaha.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very glad that worked for you man. Rofl @ mustangs getting beat at under 80% throttle. Cracks me up lol.