New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about turning my car into a 500hp monster...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 02:45 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Thinking about turning my car into a 500hp monster...

Wanted to get some thoughts on this.. especially from people who have done it, and I would love to hear some thoughts on what companies are the best out there.

My hope is that I could do something like this and still have a car that is tame enough to drive on the streets, has a full interior, ABS A/C, etc... something you couldn't distinguish from any old F-body. I would need it to be able to run beautifully off 92 octane pump gas (that's the best I can get here)

Anyway... I still have a few months to research and plan before I would do it, but I'm considering shipping my car off to someone like MTI, and having them put a 383 or maybe even a 427 stroker package in it, do the tranny upgrade. I'd change over to a 12-bolt rear end, upgrade the rest of the drivetrain.

What I would be hoping to walk away with is a 500+ hp beast that looks like any old Formula, that I could drive on the street and take on cruises and stuff, and could take to the strip and rip off low 11's, maybe even 10's, like there was no tomorrow. Something that would be reliable, and last a while (because the LS1 knowledge in my area is pretty limited).

Do you think this is reasonable?

Also... I currently have 3.42 gears, would it be worth it to me to go to a different gearing with a big motor like that? What stall of a converter would go best with a package like that?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Zeke, look into that new 4.00" stroker kit that is coming out from Eagle. Slap that sucker into your stock bore block and you will have a 382ci bottom end for around $2K. Then I would suggest some ported LS6 heads, they really work much better on large cube engines at higher rpm. Hopefully the new LSX intakes will work great also. I see 500 rwhp 382ci setups on the horizon, I miss my old 382ci all bore (445rwhp/440 ft-lbs) with a small 221/221 T1 cam.

I'm putting a 383ci in the 35th, I think that power level is perfect for a daily-driver. I couldn't floor the 434ci setup until the top of 3rd gear on the street. Too much power to be usable at lower launch speeds, it was only suited for freeway racing.

Add a 150 wet kit to the 382ci later on if you get bored

Tony
Old 12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea man follow Tony's advice, are you looking for 500 FWHP or RWHP, for FWHP its possiple on stock cubes with the right H/C,Bolt on's package. For RWHP I would think for driveability sake you would go with a larger displacement. I like the 382 idea, it seems like it would be a great driving car and the bottom end is there if you want to do even more. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-11-2003, 04:35 PM
teh PuRpL3z

My main concern for doing something like this is that there really aren't many shops up here - if any - that I would trust to get things right... not to mention that when it comes to tuning LS1s, I'd be pretty much on my own. There are a few people here that could help me, but I'd rather eliminate that "trial and error" and go to someone that knows what they're doing and can do it right the first time.

I also have the issue that I really don't have a place that I can build an engine and do a swap. I have a garage at my apartment, but I'd probably get evicted if they knew I was doing work like that in it.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

One word= Supercharger
Old 12-11-2003, 07:23 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I want to stay N/A...
Old 12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say sent it to MTI thats your best choice, get them to do one of their 383's. Should be a great setup, sounds like you have very limitied conditions.

Wes
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

What kind of a budget are you on? If money is an object why not put it toward a house or something?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I want to stay N/A...
it takes a serious nasty motor to get 500rwhp on a auto most 10 sec autos have around 460rwhp. and thats low 10's with a 4400+ converter.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
Wanted to get some thoughts on this.. especially from people who have done it, and I would love to hear some thoughts on what companies are the best out there.

My hope is that I could do something like this and still have a car that is tame enough to drive on the streets, has a full interior, ABS A/C, etc... something you couldn't distinguish from any old F-body. I would need it to be able to run beautifully off 92 octane pump gas (that's the best I can get here)

Anyway... I still have a few months to research and plan before I would do it, but I'm considering shipping my car off to someone like MTI, and having them put a 383 or maybe even a 427 stroker package in it, do the tranny upgrade. I'd change over to a 12-bolt rear end, upgrade the rest of the drivetrain.

What I would be hoping to walk away with is a 500+ hp beast that looks like any old Formula, that I could drive on the street and take on cruises and stuff, and could take to the strip and rip off low 11's, maybe even 10's, like there was no tomorrow. Something that would be reliable, and last a while (because the LS1 knowledge in my area is pretty limited).

Do you think this is reasonable?

Also... I currently have 3.42 gears, would it be worth it to me to go to a different gearing with a big motor like that? What stall of a converter would go best with a package like that?

Any input would be appreciated.
definatly go with 3.73's on the street and a 3800 or 4200 converter. thats getting pretty agressive for a street car. so probably the 3800
Old 12-11-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm. Dr Evil would you rather have HP on a dyno or ET on a track, this comes into play... when doing a project like this.

Wes
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Launching!

ThaTS GONNA BE ONE BAD *** CAR EITHER WAY! GOOD LUCK TO YOU, AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

You also need to decide on what block you want, aluminum or iron. If you plan to spray it and have something that cost a lil less, go with the iorn block. If you wana keep the weight off your front end and dont mind getting the block re-sleeved, then go with aluminum.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not suggest it for a daily driver. The more extreme you get, the more down time your car has. Then you get into the safety equipment required to run the times you are capable of...Then parts breakage on driveline compnents...that causes you to go more extreme on the driveline components and the next thing you know you are climbing through a cage and launching off of a trans brake in a car that has no overdrive etc. and requires getting the fenders cut up for larger diameter slicks so you can make it through the quarter before running out of gear...

I did it and to me it was still worth it, but I do miss out on some cruises etc. either for down time or distance. It boils down to whether you would enjoy driving a mild car more often or driving a badass car every once in awhile. One way or another you WILL lose some practicality with every step.

Screw it, just back-half that bitch!!!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:28 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by black_z
What kind of a budget are you on? If money is an object why not put it toward a house or something?
If things work out the way I'm hoping, my budget will be high enough that the cost of a 427 won't matter. If everything comes together, I'll probably be looking at a budget in excess of $30K.

I don't wanna buy a house right now... so I'd rather play... and I'll have enough money put away that buying a house when I'm ready won't be an issue.

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
it takes a serious nasty motor to get 500rwhp on a auto most 10 sec autos have around 460rwhp. and thats low 10's with a 4400+ converter.
I want a seriously nasty motor.

Originally Posted by onebadz
Hmmm. Dr Evil would you rather have HP on a dyno or ET on a track, this comes into play... when doing a project like this.
Track times are more important to me, since I race it all the time. Although I want to build something that will also make a good show car.

Originally Posted by stang killer
You also need to decide on what block you want, aluminum or iron. If you plan to spray it and have something that cost a lil less, go with the iorn block. If you wana keep the weight off your front end and dont mind getting the block re-sleeved, then go with aluminum.
No spray, no blower, no turbo. I wanna build something that is all motor.

Originally Posted by MilDot
I would not suggest it for a daily driver. The more extreme you get, the more down time your car has.
My car is not, and never will be, a daily driver. It's purely a toy. I only take it out on weekends and when the weather is nice.

Then you get into the safety equipment required to run the times you are capable of...Then parts breakage on driveline compnents...that causes you to go more extreme on the driveline components and the next thing you know you are climbing through a cage and launching off of a trans brake in a car that has no overdrive etc. and requires getting the fenders cut up for larger diameter slicks so you can make it through the quarter before running out of gear...
I'm willing to put a 6-point in it... don't wanna tub it, though. No trans brake, either. I don't want a trailer queen. I wanna keep the stock looking appearance, and have something that's still streetable.

I wouldn't mod my car if I didn't expect to have to fix things.

I did it and to me it was still worth it, but I do miss out on some cruises etc. either for down time or distance. It boils down to whether you would enjoy driving a mild car more often or driving a badass car every once in awhile.
I want something that is mild enough to drive on the street, or go on a cruise... but it doesn't necessarily have to be tame.

One way or another you WILL lose some practicality with every step.
It's just a toy, to practicality isn't a big issue...

Screw it, just back-half that bitch!!!
No thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

geting the hp you want to the flywheel isnt a problem, but getting it to the wheels on a auto is another story. you will need a nasty cam and a lockup verter
Old 12-11-2003, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

In that case...I would go with some type of stroker kit, personal preference, forged bottom end, a solid roller valvetrain and some great flowing heads, I think this would easily get you in the range your wanting and I think you will have more to spare.Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-12-2003, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

if 30's is your budget go with a MTI built 422. They seem to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable shops out there. They seem very customer oriented which is very important to me , unlike some other shops.

You can even add a 250 shot in case you get bored with the power.

Should be an awesome machine when done. :yup:
Old 12-15-2003, 04:46 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
if 30's is your budget go with a MTI built 422. They seem to be one of the most trustworthy and reliable shops out there. They seem very customer oriented which is very important to me , unlike some other shops.

You can even add a 250 shot in case you get bored with the power.

Should be an awesome machine when done. :yup:
Yeah, that's why I like MTI in particular... I haven't heard anything horrible about them, and they seem to make a good motor... and I get the impression if I sent them my car and told them what I wanted, they would be able to deliver pretty easily.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

They built many a 500 hp engine, you can trust and rely on them. They post on this board too and they're very responsive if you have a problem. Says a lot about a shop.

Texas Speed & Performance is a good shop too. good customer service and very helpful.

Quick Reply: Thinking about turning my car into a 500hp monster...