Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating question

I have a 00 T/A WS6. 142k on it. I was driving home after donating some plasma and had to make an errand and went to target. Got our of target started going home. Its like a 10min drive in town. The car was warmed up, oil psi was where it should be when its warm. I was driving along with the heater cranked up cause its a frigid b***h here and my heater doesn't get warm very quick. I look at my gauges and notice my temp was way above 210*. Quickly turned the fan off and everything off. Temp went right down in matter of a second. Turned it back on and nothing happened. Stay right at 210*or a little below. Now what would make that happen and how do I fix it? Any advice please.

Shawn
Old 12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

usually my 2000 ls1 heater worked awesome even in -degree temps. First thing to check would be the level.

Then if thats all good, maybe do a flush since its at 140,xxx miles, pretty simple to do, I'd start the the heater hoses, take them both off and by hand place a water hose to one and see if any black **** comes out. hook them back up and drain the radialtor is any black stuff was in the heater core.

the only other things I would check is to make sure there is no coolant leaking from the water pump, mine went out at 1000,000 miles, maybe a stuck thermostate, or possibly a bad radiator cap, but if its the cap, usuallly you will hear boiling inside the over flow tank.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Fyi the operating temps for the ls1 fbody are usually around 190 to 230 depending on conditions. The gauge is just there to give you a general idea of the temp it is by no means exact.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

agree but these ls1 heaters should kick ***, there seems to be something wrong, and from the way he describes it it seems like the gauge(even though not accurate) was way past the normal possition.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
usually my 2000 ls1 heater worked awesome even in -degree temps. First thing to check would be the level.

Then if thats all good, maybe do a flush since its at 140,xxx miles, pretty simple to do, I'd start the the heater hoses, take them both off and by hand place a water hose to one and see if any black **** comes out. hook them back up and drain the radialtor is any black stuff was in the heater core.

the only other things I would check is to make sure there is no coolant leaking from the water pump, mine went out at 1000,000 miles, maybe a stuck thermostate, or possibly a bad radiator cap, but if its the cap, usuallly you will hear boiling inside the over flow tank.
Thanks for the tips, I am going to check the fluid as I bet you are right. The thermostat could very well be sticking to for the mileage. Defiantly something to think about. Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan02
Fyi the operating temps for the ls1 fbody are usually around 190 to 230 depending on conditions. The gauge is just there to give you a general idea of the temp it is by no means exact.
I know the operating temps and my car has never gotten past 210 mark and its pretty ironic that I turn the heater on a very cold day out and it instantly jumps to higher temps like 220 or higher. That is not normal.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by doylie24
Thanks for the tips, I am going to check the fluid as I bet you are right. The thermostat could very well be sticking to for the mileage. Defiantly something to think about. Thanks
Als oI do want to add I've had the 160 t-stat in my car for several winters, if the heat isn't kicking I'd say look over everthing.

Do the heater core flush anyway, there is always some build up in there, and never use any stop leak in the coolant system, that tends to clog up everything.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doylie24
I know the operating temps and my car has never gotten past 210 mark and its pretty ironic that I turn the heater on a very cold day out and it instantly jumps to higher temps like 220 or higher. That is not normal.
Yeah, turning the heater on is supposed to lower engine temps not raise them...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Banned

^^ true.

check the coolant level, make sure there is no air bubbles in the cooling system.