Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice on brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on brake Rotors

i want to do cross drilled rotors for my 2002 WS6 and need advice for best, (cheap) but affective rotors, but i also want to upgrade to a larger diameter in the front. what are my options and do i need to replace all other components with larger rotors?
thanks for the advice guys
Old 12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want to do cross drilled? If it's just for braking performance, blanks will be the best, and usually will last the longest and wont chew your pads up as much.

Cheap but effective rotors would probably be any of the Autozone/Napa premium rotors, or even the Brembo blanks (like I have). However, I don't know what the most effective "drilled" rotors would be. I know Sam Strano has a deal right now for ATE rotors and pads (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-3-4-sale.html

For a larger diameter in the front, the cheapest way is to use C5 rotors with stock calipers. I think it's just a new mount, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure searching C5 rotors might come up with something, but otherwise, it's not too expensive.

Another place for information would be https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...brake-faq.html

Hope that helps!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Dude. On my old firebird. i went on to ebay. looked an drilled/slotted rotors for the car. and found front and rear ones for ridiculously cheap. and the stopping difference was amazing. i bought them almost 2 years ago, sold the car to my sister just two weeks ago, and the brakes still work like new. but if you get them, i suggest getting the best duralast pads probably at autozone or another auto parts store. the camaro i have now with corvette cailpers and rotors still doesnt stop as good as the firebird.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I did the C-5 Corvette front brake conversion on my 2002 WS6 and am very happy with it. No more warped rotors!! They've been converted for a couple of years and no problems. The C-5 rotors have directional cooling fins, are larger and don't warp. You can do a search on here for C-5 front brake conversion and read about it.

***But, you cannot just buy C-5 rotors and put them on your car. The conversion involves cutting the lower calliper bracket off your stock spindles, using a relocation bracket and C-5 rotors, pads, calipers, and possibly brake lines, although I did not change my brake lines. UMI relocation brackets are the best. I bought a complete conversion kit from WS6store, a sponsor on here. Came with new C-5 rotors, calipers, UMI brackets, HawkHP pads, and all the hardware.

Cutting the spindles was easy with a Sawzall, a little black paint to cover the bare metal and bolt every thing up. Use blue lock tite on the bolts. But your front brakes can't be changed back to stock Firebird unless you replace the whole spindles on the front. Once you start up the saw you are committed to the alteration.

I just re-read the OP and you mentioned 'cheap', the conversion isn't cheap. But it's an option.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghardester
***But, you cannot just buy C-5 rotors and put them on your car. The conversion involves cutting the lower calliper bracket off your stock spindles, using a relocation bracket and C-5 rotors, pads, calipers, and possibly brake lines, although I did not change my brake lines. UMI relocation brackets are the best. I bought a complete conversion kit from WS6store, a sponsor on here. Came with new C-5 rotors, calipers, UMI brackets, HawkHP pads, and all the hardware.
I thought I heard someone mention that you could with stock calipers. Good to know that it's NOT the case. I always thought that seemed to easy, but I didn't see any information to the contrary.

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldn't go with the cheap rotors. i've run a few different sets of aftermarket rotors on different cars (brembo, ebc, and the cheap kind) and even though i've had slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors with brembo or ebc, i never had the problems i have with my cheap rotors i got from a sponsor here.

i have a chip or two around where the hole is drilled and lately i have just found surface heat cracks after a good drive (about 45min to 1hr of hard driving) through some back roads.

here is an old picture of a chip in the rotor.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Cheap rotors will crack under pressure. Cross-drilled rotors will crack under pressure. Shallow slots are acceptable but unnecessary.

Go with Brembo blanks or Raybestos Advanced Technology blanks.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Check out "brakemotive" Its a store that posts on ebay. I bought there package a year ago and have not had any issues. Less than $200 shipped! I know it isn't the best, but for daily driving, it's worked perfectly.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1598
^ ive been using those plus hawk pads for the past 6 months. no complaints so far

i believe 6litereater sells a cheap c5 brake conversion kit. it retains the use of the stock caliper. Unless your running autocross, you dont need the upgraded brakes.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Launching!

powerslot rotors are nice and priced pretty decent. look into those. i went a little over 2 years without having to do the pads and the rotors looked great.

Quick Reply: need advice on brake Rotors