New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey WS6 guys, get in here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your going from paper filter to an oil element filter you wont know difference in power. Any of the above are good setups, and all do the same for the most part. At best one might create 2-3 horse more than the other. Nothing you will ever be able to feel. Go with what you can afford. Good luck.

O and ram air is a myth, so dont bother. Unless you want to ram water when it rains and lock your motor.

<---------Post count
Old 01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pictures of what? That same picture, but at different angles? Either way the answer is no.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

you show a seal, but what is it sealing to?
Old 01-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a lid..open filter not only can u take in 2 much water.. u also take in more heat from the engine bay.. better off going with the lid
Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
O and ram air is a myth, so dont bother. Unless you want to ram water when it rains and lock your motor.
There have been numerous threads posting gains in the quarter from different ram air set ups. I would agree that the myth that you get 15hp with the WS6 because of the ram air hood is a joke. But good set ups like the debaffled and sealed set up and the FTRA have proven results.

And I've driven through snow storms and pouring rain. No hydrolocking.

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
you show a seal, but what is it sealing to?
It seals right up to the front of the air box.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lid and Chrs1313s ram air setup will net the both power...

And for you people saying K&N filter or intake system is better than anything else..... !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

so you took the lid off the stock box and use that seal around it? Just curious cause I have that open K&N on it now and want to do something else
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
There have been numerous threads posting gains in the quarter from different ram air set ups. I would agree that the myth that you get 15hp with the WS6 because of the ram air hood is a joke. But good set ups like the debaffled and sealed set up and the FTRA have proven results.

And I've driven through snow storms and pouring rain. No hydrolocking.

It seals right up to the front of the air box.
Yes there are numerous threads "claiming" that you can get power from ram air, if its TRUE ram air. We are posting in the newby section about what style intake to get. Not how much MPH we can get in the quarter. If you go around telling every newer LS1 owner that he should cut into his hood, or not run a filter so they can get a crazy amount of power threw forced cold air THEY WILL be having more moisture in the motor, MAF, ect.... Its not worth the time, or power gains to chop your hood up unless its a somewhat drag car. Definitely not for the DD. Its so much easier to just tell people its a myth, and not go threw this extended process every time.

I have tested it on my cars, and never seen a gain worth talking about. Tried numerous setups, none made any difference worth the price i put into them.

To he OP go with a lid, K&N filter and call it a day. Its cheap, easy and will give you just as much as any other kit, style filter.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there are numerous threads "claiming" that you can get power from ram air, if its TRUE ram air. We are posting in the newby section about what style intake to get. Not how much MPH we can get in the quarter. If you go around telling every newer LS1 owner that he should cut into his hood, or not run a filter so they can get a crazy amount of power threw forced cold air THEY WILL be having more moisture in the motor, MAF, ect.... Its not worth the time, or power gains to chop your hood up unless its a somewhat drag car. Definitely not for the DD. Its so much easier to just tell people its a myth, and not go threw this extended process every time.

I have tested it on my cars, and never seen a gain worth talking about. Tried numerous setups, none made any difference worth the price i put into them.

To he OP go with a lid, K&N filter and call it a day. Its cheap, easy and will give you just as much as any other kit, style filter.

So because you are lazy you keep someone new into these cars from gaining experience and telling them false info?
If you are that lazy, don't post on the subject on hand at all.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its so much easier to just tell people its a myth, and not go threw this extended process every time.
WTF!?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not a matter of laziness its telling someone bad information when its not nessesary. The bad out weigh the good when attempting true ram air on a daily driven, or stockish car. You have to cut into a perfect WS6 hood that will drop the resale value significantly. And no matter how you look at it raise the chance to get moisture in the motor. For what, a few supposed hundreths. Its just not worth it in my opinion.

If he wants to read about ram air, go into the drag racing section, and research. Until he has done that, and come to a conclusion for himself if the process is worth it or not consider it a myth.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just so any newbies reading this know, debaffling the hood does not require "cutting" up your hood and ruining it. You just takes a small drill bit and drilling out a few rivets, then the baffles slide out. If you wanted to turn it back into stock form, you would just place the baffles back in the hood and in a few mintues, with a couple of rivets, the hood would be returned to stock form.

Quick Reply: Hey WS6 guys, get in here!