New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 cam would be ok for an stock ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ls6 cam would be ok for an stock ls1?

i have a clean ls1, and i have a friend saying he will sell it to me cheap because he knows me well. I know that he is good with cars, and a lot more than i am. well im still kinda sketchy on the whole thing, because he is telling me i wouldnt need to change out the valvetrain, pushrods, lifters, and what not.
he said its just a vette cam that will still make my engine sound stock, but put up about 15-20hp and would feel the gain. so im just wondering by more advice if this sounds okay to do and i wouldnt need to change my heads.
i'll greatly appreciate it guys! and if you need more info just ask!!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Teching In

You could still use all your stock valvetrain parts with the ls6 cam. However, if you are going to go to all the trouble to take the cam out, why not spend the little extra and get a real cam? Honestly what little hp gain you will see with the ls6 cam will never get felt, if even shown at the track. Get a good aftermarket cam and pushrods, and your car will feel like a whole new animal.... just my two cents..
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya, you won't see a 20 hp gain. not without a tune, and then again, most of that gain would have nothing to do with the cam. The biggest difference in the LS6 is the heads/intake(if you are pre 01). The cam won't be big enough on its own to be worth the time/effort to change it out.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

hmm, ok thanks. its just that im still job hunting and i have some cash to spend in the meantime till i get another job. i just thought i could get this cam since i can get it for $75. i still got the stock ls1 intake, and the thing i was gonna do is get a ls6 intake first, just thought i should jump on this while i can. thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TxAgWS6
You could still use all your stock valvetrain parts with the ls6 cam. However, if you are going to go to all the trouble to take the cam out, why not spend the little extra and get a real cam? Honestly what little hp gain you will see with the ls6 cam will never get felt, if even shown at the track. Get a good aftermarket cam and pushrods, and your car will feel like a whole new animal.... just my two cents..
and i see what your saying, since im gettin this cam cheap, i just i could get this until i can do get a aftermarket cam, but should it be wise to get heads while doin this also? thats why i was wondering if this would be good till i can actually get a good cam/head swap. thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Theres nothing wrong with the cam you just arent going to get enough of a gain to make it worth while in taking the time of doing the swap bro.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

what good aftermarker cam should you go with then ?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, i figures that too. this guy said it will make it quicker, and im not the kind of guy for the bang for the buck. i like things going good and perfect. i much rather buy something for better use and actually something thats worth getting. and that sounds like im going against for what i posted, but since this is going cheap and i wouldnt have to worry bout to much of anything to go wrong with the car and still get some what of a gain, so thats why i figured i should get some feedback on this, thanks and sorry i talk to much! haha.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flipsta510fazn
what good aftermarker cam should you go with then ?
you know, thats a good question. at first i wanted a big cam, with some nasty heads and maybe turbo it. just to get some high outputs in HP or something. but now im just lookin to jus beat the new 10'camaro's, mustangs(thats a given), challengers and gt500. so that way everyone will say thats a badass camaro that can beat the new ones! ha and im only 18 so go figure that im not lookin to go crazy with speed, all though it would be fun building a car like that! ha.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had an 02 ls6 cam for a few yrs. i liked it. it was noticeable power but not crazy. very streetable but i did need a tune. depending whats its going to cost you will determine if its worth it. i was like you. i didnt have alot of money but wanted to upgrade but it ended it up costing alot anyway.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
i had an 02 ls6 cam for a few yrs. i liked it. it was noticeable power but not crazy. very streetable but i did need a tune. depending whats its going to cost you will determine if its worth it. i was like you. i didnt have alot of money but wanted to upgrade but it ended it up costing alot anyway.

yeah, nothings gonna be to cheap whatever is. im debating if i should go through with it or not, this guy im buying it from beat me with that cam in it but he also had 3:73's in it also, he beat me by like 2 1/2 car lengths and he said he wasnt punching it all the way, hes a cocky loaded SOB. haha
but hes cool when not.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00_z28camaro
i have a clean ls1, and i have a friend saying he will sell it to me cheap because he knows me well. I know that he is good with cars, and a lot more than i am. well im still kinda sketchy on the whole thing, because he is telling me i wouldnt need to change out the valvetrain, pushrods, lifters, and what not.
he said its just a vette cam that will still make my engine sound stock, but put up about 15-20hp and would feel the gain. so im just wondering by more advice if this sounds okay to do and i wouldnt need to change my heads.
i'll greatly appreciate it guys! and if you need more info just ask!!
Is your car auto or m6?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by antonio84
Is your car auto or m6?
it is a m6
Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

you know, thats a good question. at first i wanted a big cam, with some nasty heads and maybe turbo it. just to get some high outputs in HP or something. but now im just lookin to jus beat the new 10'camaro's, mustangs(thats a given), challengers and gt500. so that way everyone will say thats a badass camaro that can beat the new ones! ha and im only 18 so go figure that im not lookin to go crazy with speed, all though it would be fun building a car like that! ha.
you're going to need a good head/cam package to beat a stock gt500. They are slow for what they are, but they still move out. not to mention they are a pully swap away from gaining 50+ rwhp.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

it is a m6
Well if u want something nasty i would look into the ms3 and get a ls6 intake and some 4:10s that will take care of the 2010 camaros but for the gt500 u will need a good head and cam package, maybe ms3 with the 5.3 2.5 heads
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

haha ^... its sad when i put a stock ls in my nissan ill be able to beat stock vipers lol... only cause of the power to weight ratio
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Stock valve springs are only good to .500 lift. So if you upgrade
to an LS6 cam you would have to upgrade to LS6 valve springs
or better. You can buy a new set for around $60 though.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DamianN.
haha ^... its sad when i put a stock ls in my nissan ill be able to beat stock vipers lol... only cause of the power to weight ratio
don't get your hopes up. You may be close depending on what nissan you put it in, but beat... i kinda doubt. Even the guy that put the stock LS1 into a civic only ran like high 11's without boltons
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP first thing is first...lose those stripes. you'll drop .2 sec off your E/T easy
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
OP first thing is first...lose those stripes. you'll drop .2 sec off your E/T easy
haha! then paint it orange and you will drop another .1!