New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 ls1 and 4L60E for $2400 shipped?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ls1 and 4L60E for $2400 shipped?

I'm dealing with a guy online that has a 2002 ls1 and 4L60E with 9300 miles on it and allacceries,computer and wiring are included for the price of $2400 shipped. Is this to good to be true? this is a cut and past from one of the e-mails he sent me

Dear Sir,

2002 SS Camaro with only 9273 miles. It is the excellent engine! This engine
will come with all necessary parts and it absolutely ready for the swap, you
may install it and GO TO DRIVE! If you will buy it immediately then shipping
is FREE. Total amount is $2400 with shipment/ins.

We have already reserved engine for you and will be waiting for your email.
There is no need to bid on our auction, I have included you in our client's
list and we will be waiting for your payment. It will be shipped to you as
soon as you make payment. The payment should be done through bank wire
transfer.The payment must be directed to my supplier as bank wire transfer.
It is sole accepted method of payment by my supplier and as for me it is the
fastest way to complete the transaction. Please let us know your shipping
address so we can prepare everything for the delivery. Waiting for your
email with full name, address and shipping details to send you payment
instructions.
Waiting for your email.

I e-mailed him first. I found him on ebay and asked him this

I would like this set up but I really need the auto trans, not the 6 speed. It's a long shot but I figured I would see if you ever run across LS1 with the 4L60E auto trans. If you have one like that I would buy it for $2400 right now. Thanks for your time,

what do you think? is he trying to scam me or should I send him the money and jump on this deal Thanks for your help
Old 12-27-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds a bit too good to be true...how far away is this guy from you,sounds like it could be HOTT as in stolen...he is trying to get it off of his hands very quickly...good luck

Wes
Old 12-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by onebadz
Sounds a bit too good to be true...how far away is this guy from you,sounds like it could be HOTT as in stolen...he is trying to get it off of his hands very quickly...good luck

Wes

That what I'm thinking. he is from Georgia and I'm in Nevada. That half way across the US. I don't know if it is Hot because he gave me a vin # 2G1FP22G622165718. I researched the # and it is for a 2002 comaro? I hate to pass it up but would really hate to lose $2400
Old 12-28-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im always skeptical about buying things like that, my vote would be to pass it up because 2400 for the whole ls1 and tranny, thats def too good to be true. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-28-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I spent $2200 on a 2000 WS6 LS1/A4 w/26K miles on it and simlar drive line.

After I got the engine checked and it failed leak down badly with 42 & 35 in #1 & #3 cylinders. Oil pan is tapped for a oil return link as in supercharger or turbo...I didn't catch that when I saw the motor. I'm ~75 percent sure the heads have been off the motor at this point. It's getting re-ringed unless it's FUBAR inside...we'll know this coming week. At this point I almost expect the A4 to be junk too.

Check the conversion forum for a few E-bay LS1 horror stories...like the engine that didn't come with all the parts promised or the engine that head gaskets were so bad it blew the radiator hoses off on start up. I've also seen an LS1 for sale on E-bay that only had a broken ear where the started attaches...just needed welding back...cheap to fix...only problem is when an LS1 hydrolocks often the LS1 will shatter the ear where the start attaches...exactly as this motor was described and pictures showed.

I would run. If you can do a leak down on the engine and make sure it's good then go for it. Otherwise I'd pass unless you afford to re-ring it if needed.

IMO

Run & be quick about it.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My experience so far is to follow the ebay rules and never deal outside ebay with people selling on ebay. It could be a guy doing a swap and all he's trying to do is unload the engine, but I doubt it.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Well I guess I got my answer But I still need this setup. I'm pulling my motor out of my truck tomarrow because I sold it alredy. any sugestion on where to buy one and not get riped off
Old 12-28-2003, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by toy 2
Well I guess I got my answer But I still need this setup. I'm pulling my motor out of my truck tomarrow because I sold it alredy. any sugestion on where to buy one and not get riped off
SpearTech a board sponsor can help you. SpearTech tests the engine on a test stand to make sure you get a good engine. Learning what I learned the hard way it sure have been less hassle to have bought from SpearTech and I would if I could do it over. The link is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

DO NOT BUY THIS ENGINE!!!! Look at the English in the e-mail he sent you. It is way off base. There was already someone on Thirdgen.ORG that got burnt on an LS1 deal like this with a bank wire transfer. Never, never agree to a bank wire transfer. He will take your money and run, you'd be lucky if he even sent you a broken engine. Free shipping to good to be true. Think of the weight, this guy is offering free shipping because it isn't gonna cost him anything to ship nothing. So run far away and tell all your friends to avoid deals like this.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

I would also pass on the motor also. I've been dealing with ebay for awhile with some problems about new snowmobiles. The email sounds very familar if I can find the email the person sent me I will post. Later John
Old 12-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toy 2
If you are going to pass on this engine will you send me his contact info. I am in GA and would like to see if he would be willing to have me pick the engine.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I was going to offer the same as wakeboarder, I live 30 minutes NE of Atlanta and if this engine/trans combo is close would be happy to check it out for ya. Ken
Old 12-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Default This Guy is a Scam

Watch out for this guy! I almost got sucked in about a month ago for an LS1 6-speed combo. He wanted me to wire money through a New Your Bank to a prague account, he claimed to be out of California. He even gave me names and phone numbers which didn't cross. I actually looked the name up on the internet on the white pages and called the guy. He had no idea what I was talking about. I later saw a story on Fox news about a guy boasting for ripping people off on ebay doing this EXACT thing. He even mentioned using Prague as his banking front because of their liberal banking laws. Email me if you want more info.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

I live in GA.. If its close by I'll look at it for ya for free.. If its
a long haul, I'll do it for gas money Either way, ask the guy
if a friend can come inspect it. If he doesn't reply, you know
something is up.

Peace,
Old 12-29-2003, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is a complete scam!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just sold a car on autotrader.com. I actually had a person send me a cashiers check drawn from a Georgia Bank. The guy wanted me to ship the car to africa!! The scam was that he sent me a $9800 check, the car was only 4500. He told me to WIRE the left over money to some bank in the UK. The cashiers checks are fraudulent but by the time the banks find out...the money is already in and out of his account. And guess who is responsible to the bank...

Anyway, anytime wiring money is involved these days, it is a scam. They even had a special on 60 minutes about it.

Luckily for me I wasn't born yesterday...and I sold the car locally to a real person in person.

PayPal and the like will protect you against this stuff if the seller isn't willing to sign up then forget it.

Ask him to take some specific pictures and email it to you. He doesn't have an engine to take pics off so he will not help. I noticed also, that these scam artist never answer your questions anyway...like T56 for 4l60e.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for all the help . my computer is in the shop right now and it has his address and stuff on it. as soon as I get the info I will post it or pm you guys the info and let you take a look and see if this guy is a fraud . You guys on this site rock
Old 12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing but a scam.

Seen similar things before where somebody is selling something very cheap and wants to have moeny wired to his account in the US but then it redirects it somewhere overseas.

He might as well be in Georgia, though. As in the Republic Of Georgia.

TS
Old 12-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Teching In

here is the contact info he sent me

Special Interest Autos

Address: 10097 Manchester Rd, # 203, St. Stockbridge, GA 30281
(888) 297-2108 2248
The picture is attached to this email.

et me know what you guy find out
Old 12-30-2003, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

spose you could go to the southern forum and ask bout this shop.

stockbridge is on the side of town i don't go to, or i'd go take a look at it the place.

You can tell alot about a shop by the people/neighborhood. Lol. Call the vin #'s in to the police too, unless you know the motor is on the low-low.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Teching In

If anyone can get to his shop and check it out soon I would greatly appirate it