New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Flowpac kit, Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would just get an SLP lid used if possible, and then buy a SSRA or FTRA. would be alot cheaper.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add headers to your list they really open the car up. If you plan on h/c car a stronger rear end should be on your radar. good luck
Old 03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhauwen
Yeah im really not crazy about the metal ram air piece for under the car. but i was thinking about the free ram air mod but isn't it going to suck up hot air from the radiator if i cut that piece out? The car is my DD so im in a good amount of sitting at lights and good stuff like that. I'll look into the FTRA but i just really am interested in the lid, bellow and filter(I've read all the threads about K&N vs Paper filters and i don't mind all the cons of K&N and cleaning it)

What about the bellow tho? i mean for $65 is it really worth it in the $/hp talk? I know it looks better than the stock bellow i guess but im looking for HP

Thanks a bunch guys
I was wondering a little about this myself. Also, I wonder how much dirt can get sucked up in there to prematurely plug your filter. Does the ftra keep the dirt out ok? Sorry if I hijacked here
Old 03-18-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I was wondering a little about this myself. Also, I wonder how much dirt can get sucked up in there to prematurely plug your filter. Does the ftra keep the dirt out ok? Sorry if I hijacked here
It gets dirtier faster. My brother has the SLP CAI and after a few weeks the bottom of his filter is almost black. But it does give him a 1 1/2 car lead on me. And he can easily just wash it.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Awesome information guys

as far as intake manifold.. yeah i think im just going to save 300 more or so and get a FAST manifold, i need to set up a Paypal so i can start getting some parts off ebay and save some money.

as far as the Free Ram Air Mod goes... if i DO cut that piece out im thinking K&N so i can reuse it and not blow 14 every month on a new paper filter(it'll add up)

Im learning all the tips and tricks slowly but surely lol
Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

700 for an ls6 intake? OP u can search around for a used one for 250 or 300 and they are a great item to have on your car.. Also search the parts for sale section on here.. You can save yourself a lot of money.. I wouldn't reccomend buying used valvetrain or internal pars like a cam but bolt ons and such are much much cheaper to pick up used.. Just make sure to check on the seller and check their past history. Goodluck and enjoy that car!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, another option you have for a ram air setup is to make one on your own.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...e-ram-air.html
Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I have the FTRA, I didn't really notice any difference with it, that 200 bucks is better spent elsewhere if you ask me.

I tried doing some track testing with it, but I actually got my fastest time with the FTRA disabled and the stock air inlet opened. I'll try it again this season when I have better tires and will hopefully be able to get a more consistant launch.

As far as the filter, I've been running the same Fram paper one for a year and a half (about 15k miles), and it's hardly dirty. Deneds where you drive though, if you have to drive on any dirt roads or other dusty conditions it will get dirty faster. My car doesn't see much of those conditions, so filters last a long time.

Also, even when sitting in traffic during the summer with the AC on, the car hasn't run any hotter than it did before the FTRA. Also, no problems with it ingesting water, and I've driven it through plenty of hard rains.

And as far as a LS6, whoever pays 700 is on crack, I see them used all the time for 300-ish. I'd hold off on the FAST till you get alot more mods, that thing ought to be gold plated for what they charge for it.

Same thing with the TB and MAF, supposedly the stock pieces are good enough to support 500hp.

I would do minor bolt ons like a lid and catback (or at least a cutout and/or muffler), underdrive crank pulley, then as budget allows headers and LS6 intake, followed by a tune.

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 03-22-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

I'm kinda curious on the cutout's, even if its behind the cats is it still illegal for street use?

As far as the 700 for LS6 intake, i think i was looking at prices for a BRAND NEW intake manifold.. which is looking more like 550 or so, but im just a little sketchy about buying used parts, but hey for saving $300 i might be able to give it a shot lol

Yeah i have a lot of scrap aluminum and a aluminum bender/cutter in my shed(don't ask) so i might just make my own ram air 'kit' and save $200.

Hows the HP gain with the underdrive pulley? like 5-10?

and again, thanks ALOT for the information guys, really helpin a new LS1 owner out
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhauwen
I'm kinda curious on the cutout's, even if its behind the cats is it still illegal for street use?

As far as the 700 for LS6 intake, i think i was looking at prices for a BRAND NEW intake manifold.. which is looking more like 550 or so, but im just a little sketchy about buying used parts, but hey for saving $300 i might be able to give it a shot lol

Hows the HP gain with the underdrive pulley? like 5-10?
Yes, cut outs are illegal for street use if you have them OPEN. Closed they are not.

I was scared to buy used. I had never bought anything from the classifieds on this site and had heard a bunch of horror stories about people taking your money and jamming. I could not bring myself to spend $600 + on a new intake manifold so I bit the bullet and started searching on the classifieds. Found a guy selling one for $275. He had a great trader rating and had over 1,000 posts helping people and being constructive on the site, so I felt comfortable. Not like those guys that have 51 posts and no trader rating, and their posts are nothing but trying to sell stuff or useless answers trying to get enough posts to put stuff in the classifieds.

And finally, yes, 5-10 HP for an UD Pulley.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nothing wrong with buying used parts, especially the intake, it's just a piece of plastic.

I bought my FTRA used, it came with all the parts, including screws and directions, and was just about 50% off retail.

Just buy from someone on here or ebay with a good trader rating, there are some great people to do business with out there. I've bought used parts online 5 or 6 times and have never gotten burned.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Yeah i'll probably just buy a used one when i get money... took the camaro in today to replace the water pump and belt while they had the water pump off and found out if i turn the AC on my car stalls and thats about $1,000 to fix. But i need AC here in texas when it starts gettin around summer, spent almost as much fixing this car as i did just to buy it
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't need AC dude. That's why our cars have those fancy things called power windows. Don't be a pansy.

Did you ever get the car tuned up? I could see you better off in the long run tuning up the car and saving money on gas to fix the AC. I have a modded 99 SS M6 with 150k on the clock and I get 20mpg around town.

What are your driving habits? What do you shift at? Most people that go from driving a small car like a civic to a camaro are used to shifting at 4k to keep the car from bogging down. You can easily shift at -2500 to keep the revs down. I am usually in 5th at 40mph. Cruising along at around 1500 rpm or so.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99345hp
You don't need AC dude. That's why our cars have those fancy things called power windows. Don't be a pansy.

Did you ever get the car tuned up? I could see you better off in the long run tuning up the car and saving money on gas to fix the AC. I have a modded 99 SS M6 with 150k on the clock and I get 20mpg around town.

What are your driving habits? What do you shift at? Most people that go from driving a small car like a civic to a camaro are used to shifting at 4k to keep the car from bogging down. You can easily shift at -2500 to keep the revs down. I am usually in 5th at 40mph. Cruising along at around 1500 rpm or so.
Some of us have T-tops also.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And then theres the people like me that pull up next to you guys with the AC blowin WFO watchin you guys sweat your ***** off while your thinkin your cool b/c you took your AC out for 25lbs of weight reduction, LOL.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Teching In

The AC is going to be fixed in a few months but just windows doesn't cut it in Texas, i don't care what you say

As far as MPG while, I probably do shift a little high because i went from a 1.6L Mazda Protege A4 to a 5.7 M6(first manual car I've owned) but i do try and coast around 2,000 most of the time, sometimes i'll be in 5th at 40 but i usually only do 5th around 50+ so i'll take that into consideration
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know all about heat brother. I grew up in south florida. Never had AC, not because of weight reduction or any of that bs, just didn't have it. Yeah it gets a little hot, but your not going to die.

My camaro has all of the ac in it, it works great, i just dont use it.

As far as your shifting. You can go into 6th at 50+ so your definately using up that extra 6 or so mpg by being in a lower gear than necessary. If im cruising around at 50mph, then 5th gear it is. At 50 or so i shift into 6th. I usually cruise around at around 1500 or so rpm.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love AC. You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. No way I'd ever give it up.

The t-tops are great when it's not too hot, but when it's 90* and humid and the sun is beating directly down on me, I sweat my @SS off with the tops off, especially with leather seats. Tops mostly only come off at dusk in the summer. Spring and fall are great times for t-tops though.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Yeah i've been trying to run at lower RPM's tonight, i used to cruise around 2,500(+/- 250) but changed more towards 1,500 and i can kinda feel the difference...

and a fresh new oil change for the car tonight

BACK TO SLP...

should order the air lid tomorrow, and i might try and make a custom ram air induction with aluminum sometime this week
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Quick Reply: SLP Flowpac kit, Worth it?