Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Flowpac kit, Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SLP Flowpac kit, Worth it?

Hey guys i got a 98 z28 all stock right now and im looking at the SLP flowpac kit right now and just wanna know what you guys think and have got from it and if there's any better induction kits around to look into.

Thanks for all the input
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the kit that includes Lid,Bellows,K&N Filter and Ram Air kit? I would just buy the lid,K&N,bellow and you can do the "Free mods" Which are port and polish throttle body, and cut out the bottom of the airlid tray. Its up to you if you want the Ram air but you can make one yourself...IMO the ram air is a waste of $$. Hope that helps...Basically if you have a stock intake,throttle body all the lids or air induction kits do the same thing.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

If your looking for a cold air kit the K&N FIPK ive heard is pretty good but you will be paying 200+ unless you buy it used. I also heard that Volant makes a good cold air intake system also.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

Personally, the slp's kit doesn't extend far enough to really make it a beneficial piece. The fast toys kit is the way to go. Ram air is very worth it. I have the FTRA (fast toys ram air) and its definately a great piece. When you crank it up in the morning you hear it sucking the air in so imagine what its doin goin down the road. The better your car can breath in and out the better it will run.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 AM
11 Second Club

These sites will get you well under way and are very detailed on doin mods to your car:

http://www.ls1howto.com/

http://www.installuniversity.com/

Happy modding bro
The following users liked this post:
CobraJ82 (10-01-2019)
Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I could go back with a non Ram Air car I'd go Lid $90 and Fast Toy's Ram Air $200. Technically you don't need a K&N Air Filter or Smooth Bellow.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Yeah im really not crazy about the metal ram air piece for under the car. but i was thinking about the free ram air mod but isn't it going to suck up hot air from the radiator if i cut that piece out? The car is my DD so im in a good amount of sitting at lights and good stuff like that. I'll look into the FTRA but i just really am interested in the lid, bellow and filter(I've read all the threads about K&N vs Paper filters and i don't mind all the cons of K&N and cleaning it)

What about the bellow tho? i mean for $65 is it really worth it in the $/hp talk? I know it looks better than the stock bellow i guess but im looking for HP

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

I have the bellows, ported/polished TB, 85mm TSP lid, and a SSRA. I can't really complain. I have better throttle response and my mileage on long trips got better, 31 mpg while I was crossing the country!
Old 03-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Teching In

i can only imagine 31 mpg... i get about 11-13mpg in the city

how easy is it to port and polish your TB? and is it worth it on the stock TB or just save up for an aftermarket?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont bother with all that crap from SLP. just buy the lid. a filter you can get anywhere, and if you want ram air, go with the FTRA. bellow and that other crap isnt necessary. throttle body gains are minimal (less than 5hp). IMO, the gains arent worth it, esp if you get it messed up. an ls6 intake is also a good thing to look at

Originally Posted by Rhauwen
i can only imagine 31 mpg... i get about 11-13mpg in the city

how easy is it to port and polish your TB? and is it worth it on the stock TB or just save up for an aftermarket?
unless you are going WOT everywhere, there is no reason to see that kind of MPG. throwing any codes? maybe some clogged cats or bad o2s. i have to try to get down around 13. forgot to ask, auto or manual? even autos see high teens, and 30mpg is very possible with a steady foot and reasonable speed on the highway
Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Teching In

I rarely go WOT on the streets unless its late at night but that's not often. Other than that i grandma that car most of the time. just filled up tonight and got 13mpg

and its a M6 by the way, i bought the car with 106k on it about 3 weeks ago so i really haven't got all that stuff checked out as far as o2 sensors and cats

Money is kinda tight right now so i only wanna buy parts for the car that are really going to be worth it. so ill wait on the flowpac, right now its looking like SLP lid, *insert favorite brand here* filter, and maybe the Fast Toys Ram Air a little later on.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you never go WOT and its an M6, you may wanna find out whats wrong with it to get 13mpg. You should be low 20s in a stock M6 fbody. I was getting 11-13 in a stalled auto with 4.10s city driving. do a tune up first, plugs and maybe even wires, fuel filter, etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are on a tight budget and don't wanna waste money on mods that won't do much, don't get a smooth bellow. I bought one because I have done every bolt on there was and I had $65 burning a hole in my pocket. I think it looks a lot nicer than the accordian bellow and I have cash to throw around now that I'm out of school.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rarely go WOT on the streets unless its late at night but that's not often. Other than that i grandma that car most of the time. just filled up tonight and got 13mpg

and its a M6 by the way, i bought the car with 106k on it about 3 weeks ago so i really haven't got all that stuff checked out as far as o2 sensors and cats

Money is kinda tight right now so i only wanna buy parts for the car that are really going to be worth it. so ill wait on the flowpac, right now its looking like SLP lid, *insert favorite brand here* filter, and maybe the Fast Toys Ram Air a little later on.
it wouldnt hurt to fix these issues first before starting to mod.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would put a fresh air filter, lid, spark plugs, wires, and a fuel filter on it to start with.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

right now its looking like SLP lid, *insert favorite brand here* filter, and maybe the Fast Toys Ram Air a little later on.
Sounds like your getting the hang of this modding thing pretty fast
Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Replaced the air filter this morning after i got paid, and after replacing the radiator cap and coolant reservoir, i have figured out that my water pump has gone bad and coolant leaks like a river after i park..

performance mods are strictly on hold now until i get this all fixed

how about this list tho.. just roughly once i get everything else fixed

1. SLP airlid
2. FTRA kit
2. Cat-back
3. LS6 intake manifold
4./5. Bigger TB
4./5. High Flow MAF
6. Cam(maybe .224 or something, want decent driveability)
7. Heads(not decided yet)

Last edited by Rhauwen; 03-17-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Replaced the air filter this morning after i got paid, and after replacing the radiator cap and coolant reservoir, i have figured out that my water pump has gone bad and coolant leaks like a river after i park..

1. SLP airlid
2. FTRA kit
2. Cat-back
3. LS6 intake manifold
4./5. Bigger TB
4./5. High Flow MAF
You can just get your throttle body ported for $65. I wouldn't mess with the maf. Could descreen it if you want, I did. Here's a little comparison test I did with some performance mods.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ls1-...ing_643805.htm
Old 03-18-2010, 12:17 AM
MASS seller approved

i have the slp cai in my garage for 50+shipping but there are better cai out there but they are 200ish
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

1. SLP airlid
2. FTRA kit
2. Cat-back
3. LS6 intake manifold
4./5. Bigger TB
4./5. High Flow MAF
if your going to fork out 750 for a ls6 intake just save 350 more order from Wilson, a FAST a 92mm intake comes with tb rails and injectors for 1100 http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com/shop/...uct_detail&p=3
as far as a maf goes get a 92 dont skip out here it will come in handy later. if your going to do a tb coolant bypass get it off eaby for $7 not summit $20. same with your lid, ebay! always check ebay when your ready for a non internal mod! also check with high performance salvage for other stuff they have a lot of Fbody parts. spark plugs and wires are going to be a mother dont let anyone tell you any differently spend good money here as well so you dont have to do this again for a long time! nothing from autozone!!! maybe plugs.. love autozone but...... dont skimp here!!! you will regret it next year!

OH..... dont forget adjustable lower control arms and panhard!!!!! stop wheel hop before it begins!!!

Quick Reply: SLP Flowpac kit, Worth it?