Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy A4 or M6

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to buy A4 or M6

I am looking at buying a 1998-2002 camaro or FB and trying to decide which is better and would be easier to make faster? What are some of your feeling and recomendations?

Andy
Old 01-01-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy with my A4 even more happier when I get a 3500 stall TC

Last edited by Danny2tek; 01-01-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which ever you think you'll enjoy more daily driving. I've had both and personally, i think its more fun to drive an M6 around, but i did like being able to just drive and not have to think about it.

As far as making fast wise, an Auto with a stall converter is absolutly badass for racing. Its up to you. Either way you'll enjoy being in an F-body.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea if your into racing a stalled A4 will outpreform an M6...when it comes to the fun factor I dont think anything beats the feeling of banging through the gears...its really a personal preference...Good Luck

Wes
Old 01-01-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with the above....if its just gonna be a weekend car and your not gonna race it too much at the strip, i suggest the M6 just for the fun factor....if its gonna be a frequent/daily driver or if u want to drag race it often nothing beats an A4 with a high stall. my 3200 Vig is actually around a 3800 stall and not only can it launch the car pretty hard but its got good street manners as well....good luck with your decision and enjoy the new toy.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:35 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Like all the rest.....if you're looking for an all-around daily driver/strip warrior then go with the A4.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevelless502
I am looking at buying a 1998-2002 camaro or FB and trying to decide which is better and would be easier to make faster? What are some of your feeling and recomendations?

Andy
I have a A4 and it is alright. M6 are more fun, you can get off the line quicker!!! Though, if your clutch goes, $$$ more money to spend. Also, depends if you are going to drive this daily and have a lot of traffic in your location. As for making faster, they are both pritty similar.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

I have to disagree with most here. I don't find shifting fun at all. Every time I've driven a manual anything (normal car or performance car) I can't wait to get to where I'm going so I can stop driving it. I find shifting to be annoying most of the time.

It's all about personal taste. I think an A4 with a nice stall is way more fun for any type of driving, track or weekend fun car. But it's really all up to you as you're the only one that's going to have to be driving it...
Old 01-01-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLP LS1
I have a A4 and it is alright. M6 are more fun, you can get off the line quicker!!! Though, if your clutch goes, $$$ more money to spend. Also, depends if you are going to drive this daily and have a lot of traffic in your location. As for making faster, they are both pritty similar.
No I dont think ive seen anyone on this forum cut better than a 1.7 60' on this forum with an m6...There have been plenty of 1.5s with a4'. A stalled a4 defiantly has the advantage in the race...now if your going for auto x defiantly go with the m6.

Wes
Old 01-02-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will depend on what you want out of the car.lots of factors involved.only you can make the right decision.lucky Im not in your situation thats why I have it in both worlds.enjoy whatever you decide.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:22 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadz
No I dont think ive seen anyone on this forum cut better than a 1.7 60' on this forum with an m6...There have been plenty of 1.5s with a4'. A stalled a4 defiantly has the advantage in the race...now if your going for auto x defiantly go with the m6.

Wes
exactly, a good stalled a4 is straight ****** lethal at the strip. but with that said my vot is m6 . just get a pro 5.0 w/lss and you'll be :worship:

but really, we can tell you all the pro's and cons about each but its gonna be YOUR car so get what you want; take into account what you want to do with the car and make your decision.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, I don't think you are really driving unless you are changing gears - but that's me. As far as racing goes - obviously the A4 is more consistent at the strip. If you are into autocross or any other track type racing the M6 is better. If you are going to drive the car regularly on the street, can you put up with shifting constantly? I've driven manuals all my life and would have a hard time driving an automatic regularly. I tend to try and push my left leg up and down all the time, and usually don't like the RPM's at which the car decides to shift. I will say I'm looking forward to the 350 HP w/ lots of torque, because I'll have to change gears much less in traffic...
Old 01-02-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

after driving for years with an m5/m6 car, i got tired of it. It's quite a switchup to go automatic, and well i'll kick the **** out of your M6's at the track still so .. I enjoy my wifes A5 bmw and my M5 vw But honestly after driving to work and back and in traffic, the manual sucked. The automatics provided to be much more enjoyable, and thats what i want when i drive.

of course i'm not like you, i dont know you. I'm all city/traffic driving with maybe 1 freeway jaunt every other weekend at max. When the strip opens i'll try for every other week(fri or sat) again.

a4 so you can and drink and give your girl a hand now and then.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadz

Wes
Wes, are you sure you aren't confusing this forum with LS1.com? There are several M6 owners on this site that are well below 1.7s. I used to cut 1.68-1.70 on drag radials, and 1.48-1.50s on slicks. Now, if you are talking about nearly stock vehicles, then yes 1.7s are a bit harder to get without breaking something in an M6.

Drag racing, its cheaper to make an A4 run a better ET. Once you get into the 10s however, the amount spent on either car will be about the same. Personally, I find it more rewarding to shift a car down the track. Driver skill and timing add an extra level of challenge, which I enjoy.

Highway racing, M6s own that arena. Mod for mod, an A4 will get walked by an M6 on the highway, especially when they hit 4th gear.

Daily driving, both are fun. If you sit in traffic alot, you might like an A4 better. If you like to shift a car, there isn't anything more fun than an M6.

Tony
Old 01-02-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

My vote is for manual. Once I got used to the engine/gearing, shifting and gear selection has become second nature. Though it does tick me off when these guys in auto pull 1.7 60' times consistantly, and I'm stuggling to get a 1.9, but I only take my car to the track occasionally.