Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried German Castrol 0w-30

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tried German Castrol 0w-30

Well I didnt like pennzoil platinum, and it piston slaps like alot of ls1's on start up so i wanted to quiet the motor down.

Now, with german castrol, no increase in oil pressure, and my valvetrain is horrid loud, sounds like a sewing machine, or piston slap 24/7, with PP it went away after it warmed up.

So is this oil a hit or miss on ls1's? cuz other people are running it fine? any others have this issue?

My luck is terrible.. haha.

Btw, I put 5.5 quarts in, with a K&N filter, not the truck style either, 1007.

Edit: Well, turns out PP cleans out sludge pretty good, so thats why I had more noise when I put GC in, Ive had the car for a month, and only driven 700 miles on the PP which I put in when I got the car, the car was run on conventional valvoline for like 50,000 miles so it probably had a bit of sludge build up. So for the price, I'm sticking with PP, mobil 1, whichever is cheaper at the time.

Lastly, I've had PP, GC, and mobil 1 in the car so far, while GC/mobil 1 seem to keep slighty better oil pressure, the PP has kept my motor the quietest, lots of experimenting for an annoying gm problem.

Last edited by mischief; 03-21-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always use royal purple. i dont have any of these problems.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well by nature LS1's sound like sewing machines. They just have noisy valvetrains. I have been running the "german castrol" for a long time and it holds better oil pressure than the mobil 1 oil. Is your engine excessivly loud? Have you compared it to someone elses engine that is local? Just curious. Oh and BTW i fill mine up with 6 quarts. Not sure if it makes any difference or not.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use GC now, have for a while. My opinion on the valvetrain noise now is that the GC cleaned up the gunk that the other oil left behind. I couldn't believe the gunk in the oil and filter after my first change using GC. Lots of sludge probably should have changed filters half way through. I run a full 6 quarts too tho. Like the corners.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Launching!

I see.

Well its making a lot more noise then the PP, but the pressure seems to be the same.

You can hear it rolling at 40mph and slowing to a stop, with the windows up and the ac on low.

It's just embarassing, did your cars get noiser using it?

should I use 6 quarts? maybe with the longer truck filter... but I dont see that fixing my issue.

Oil pressure I thought would increase but it's staying at 38-40 at hot idle.

Last edited by mischief; 03-19-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand man. I hate noises. I just did an SLP underdrive this winter before she came out to play. The first few days were horrible. Squealing belt was driving me insane! I couldn't figure it out for anything until I realized one day it was fading. The new pully was painted and until the paint wore off it squealed like a $2 *****. Just use the oil you like. Didn't want to come off as trying to get you to use it because "I love it." If that oil quiets it than I'd use it too.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

I have used it for years...best ever IMO....My oil pressure after warm up is around 60psi and that is at idle at lights....I also used a ported and shimmed ls6 oil pump....

Do a search and you'll find that the 0-30 has a better viscosity than some of the others and it tends to really help on the valve train....

I use the K&N hp2006 oil filter....Fill the oil filter first...I always have used 6.25 qts of oil in my car...
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Launching!

I know all of my ls engines have been loud as crap in the valvetrain which seems normal. I dunno about the piston slap though...I've heard a few ls cars with dry starts sometimes that sounded bad, and they ran fine.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Alright.

I guess I'll get used to it, athough I was under the impression that it would make my valvetrain more quiet, not more annoying.

But I'm going to switch to a cheaper oil next time around, as $7.49 a quart is nuts..stuff never goes on sale here..

The level on my dipstick is 3/4 between the "operating range" after the add mark, so it definitely isnt low on oil, 5.5 should be fine.

Last edited by mischief; 03-19-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

i hear nothing but good things with the german castrol 0w-30 as its pretty popular. But i dont run it because its hard to find at some auto stores. I personally run castrol syntec 5W-40 and never had any problems with oil consumption, or valvetrain. my oil pressure is always good. but i plan on going with 5w-30 castrol syntec.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

German Castrol is popular. I've yet to try it though
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

they just had it on sale at my local autozone for 5 quarts and a filter for 25 bucks, but i dont use the fram filter. in another couple weeks when i start driving the car again ill change the pennzoil platinum i have in there now to the german castrol and see if i notice any differences. my car is pretty quiet right now, and idles hot about 40 psi.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Wondering where you found it at?
Do I use it, you tell me:

My Stash, ands it all the green formula...
Originally Posted by mischief
Well I didnt like pennzoil platinum, and it piston slaps like alot of ls1's on start up so i wanted to quiet the motor down.

Now, with german castrol, no increase in oil pressure, and my valvetrain is horrid loud, sounds like a sewing machine, or piston slap 24/7, with PP it went away after it warmed up.

I just wasted like $60 LOL because I can't live with this noise.

So is this oil a hit or miss on ls1's? cuz other people are running it fine? any others have this issue?

My luck is terrible.. haha, I'm putting Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 in it and calling it a day.

Attached Thumbnails Tried German Castrol 0w-30-muf-018.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

if your engine is making enough noise you can hear it inside the car maybe you need to look further than miracle oil

pp and gc are the 2 best oils you can use in a ls1...dumping in some mobile 1 isn't going to help your problem
Old 03-20-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have great UOA's with GC and is all I will run even though $50 DIY oil changes SUCK
Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
if your engine is making enough noise you can hear it inside the car maybe you need to look further than miracle oil

pp and gc are the 2 best oils you can use in a ls1...dumping in some mobile 1 isn't going to help your problem
Oddly enough, when I bought the car it had valvoline conventional in it, only made noise on start up, went away, no issues, same with Pennzoil Platinum.

Now GC, it doesn't really go away, it sticks around, and yeah you can hear it inside the car while driving, but usually only when coming to a stop as the RPM's go down, it's not anything bad, I exaggerated a tiny bit, but its far more noticable now.

I guess my car doesnt like it, which Im glad for because I can save money now Lol.

My two neighbors said pennzoil is the worst oil you can use in a car, i told them it was redesigned but they still think otherwise, so I'm not sure.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
I have great UOA's with GC and is all I will run even though $50 DIY oil changes SUCK
i agree they do suck but i always get a terrible feeling about letting someone else do something thats so easy, you might ask "how do you **** up an oil change?" but i sure as hell wont let somebody at jiffy lube show me

I use RP, was a mobil 1 fan for a couple years and the RP makes the car run 5x quieter than the M1
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

LS1s are noisey motors. Some are louder than others, some slap more than others, etc.

I've never been a GC fanboy, I've been an M1 0W40 user for a long time now. In my '98, I have zero piston slap, in my '02 I have tons of piston slap. That's how it's always been with both cars no matter what oil I've tried.

I just don't worry about it.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Launching!

yeah ive had the car for a month.. so i gotta learn to live with it.

RPM, does yours go away or does it always kinda make the typical noises?

Anyway thanks for the responses, imma stick with m1 after this since its cheaper, and use a m1 filter as well.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mischief

I just wasted like $60 LOL because I can't live with this noise.

My luck is terrible.. haha, I'm putting Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w-30 in it and calling it a day.

Just run thicker oil for god's sake. Stop worrying about the brand name if you change it every 3,000 miles. It doesn't matter at all.

Quick Reply: Tried German Castrol 0w-30