New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 ls1, 243 heads, ls7 lifters, stock rockers, correct pushrod length?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 ls1, 243 heads, ls7 lifters, stock rockers, correct pushrod length?

I have a 00 F-body LS1, and I also have 243 heads that I am planning on installing. I am going to replace the lifters with LS7 units while I am at it. I haven't done much research to decide which head gasket I am going to use yet, but most likely it will be the GM multi layer metal gaskets (are they stock thickness?). I am also considering putting in an LS6 cam and GM yellow springs. With this setup using all OEM LS1 parts, would the stock pushrods be the correct length to use?

P.S. I know every mention of putting in an LS6 cam comes with everyone saying to put in a bigger cam if you're going through the trouble. I am replacing the oil pump with a ported shimmed unit, replacing the timing chain, replacing the heads, etc. and the motor is out of the car, so it isn't any extra trouble. I am really not looking for anything other than a little upgrade from stock and I want to keep stock-like idle and driveability.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hole set up sounds good except the Cam! Dude your going to kick your own *** if you don't put in a better cam then that!! I have a 228-230 588- 590 at 112 and it idles great and runs so much better. It's not a big cam at all but it sure feels like it compared to stock:>) Good luck and enjoy your ride!!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bet is to measure the length to make sure you get it set properly. Spend the money on the pushrod checker and get it right the first time.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=913&catid=51

Jon
Old 04-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks I'll pick up that checker. Can anyone guide me to a write-up of how to use one, and how to set proper lifter preload?

The reason for the LS6 cam is that I wasn't initially looking for big hp. I think I'd be happy with <400. The motor is going into a 2800lb. Mazda RX7 with a stock 4.10 rear end and a GTO tranny. An LS6 cam and springs can be picked up for like $230? That seems like a nice enough upgrade for me at the moment. I'll probably throw on an Edelbrock 2-piece front cover for easy replacement if I want to go bigger in the future.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A car that light is SCREAMING for more cam.... OMG it will be fun......
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

I had the LS6 cam and 243s in my car and I really liked how it ran. The only reason I changed cams was for sound really. I didnt care if it made anymore power I just wanted it to sound mean. But I think the LS6 cam is an awsome cam, great for boost or Nitrous. Sounded pretty much stock but had All around good power from low to mid and even some up top. But I do agree a bigger cam will really wake the lightweight car up. Id look into something custom maybe..

But I liked mine, I just wanted it to lope really hard..
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That cam has a smaller base circle than the stock cam, and your 243's probably have stock length valves (the LS6 hollow stems are a little longer...), so you should measure it...

You can get a stock like idle from almost any cam that has no overlap. Something like an Old Man Cam or a 224 with 114 LSA would get you a lot more HP and Torque and not be far from stock at idle. I just swapped in a new LS6, and I can't really tell much difference between the LS1 and LS6 cams, but I'm still breaking it in...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your worried about it not having a stock idle get like a 114lsa or something not sure exactly what lsa idols smoother cause I was all about 112 and lower, I understand what your saying but don't put the ls6 cam in,you can get something that idles like stock and runs like stock with a lot more power.its your choice though but your going with a nice set up and a ls6 cam is gonna kinda kill it, good luck though hope your happy with it because that is all that matters,GOd bless
Old 10-30-2020, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Default PR length

Originally Posted by ta-stanger
The hole set up sounds good except the Cam! Dude your going to kick your own *** if you don't put in a better cam then that!! I have a 228-230 588- 590 at 112 and it idles great and runs so much better. It's not a big cam at all but it sure feels like it compared to stock:> Good luck and enjoy your ride!!
I know it's old thread. But what PR length did you go with with that cam?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by James Martin
I know it's old thread. But what PR length did you go with with that cam?
He hasn't been on the site since February. Best start your own thread in Internal Engine if you want an answer.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Default Dod delete on 2012 caprice with L77

I'm sure this information is probably Common knowledge.But i'm doing my first dod delete on a 2012 caprice ppv with the l77 and I put in a sock ls3 Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Duration at .050 in. 204/211, Lift .551/.522, in with stock ls7 lifters and I was hoping for some guidance on what push rods I would need to use with this combination could I just use 7.4 length with stock ls3 valve springs and be good to go again I apologize if this is a pretty standard/stupid question but it's my first time attempting something like this any information would be greatly appreciated .

Quick Reply: 00 ls1, 243 heads, ls7 lifters, stock rockers, correct pushrod length?